PDA

View Full Version : CNN: The growing world of Google Earth

RobertoOrtiz
09-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Quote:
"Google Earth, a product used by 100 million people that combines satellite images, maps and local data to display geographical information of the world, has been translated into Japanese, French, Italian, German and Spanish."
>>LINK<< (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/09/28/google.earth.reut/index.html)

-R

Cyborgguineapig
09-29-2006, 07:38 PM
I haven't checked it out in a while but was a little bummed that I couldn't get high quality from regions outside the US. Anyone know if they updated that?

Kaostick
09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
They are constantly updating all regions of the planet as far as I can tell. I know many parts of Europe and Asia now have high res images, although I would imagine many of the underdeveloped parts of the world are still pretty low res.

Pavlovich
09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Rome is beautifully high-res, gainsville, florida looks like a green pixel. i think google earth, while constantly updating, still gets hotspots earthwide before filling in the more...podunk parts? does that make sense?

RobW720
09-29-2006, 08:54 PM
i wish they would get higher rez images in general. It would be nice for city areas if they had 6" rezolution mah well. It is fun though

Rens
09-30-2006, 02:36 AM
I haven't checked it out in a while but was a little bummed that I couldn't get high quality from regions outside the US. Anyone know if they updated that?
The Netherlands has been updated quite a lot. Check out The Hague for some insane detail. (Search for "Den Haag, Netherlands").

Wongedan
09-30-2006, 07:18 AM
yay my country is high res now

Squash-n-Stretch
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
There's something like this for outer space isn't there? Although it's not done by Google, anyone know what I am talking about?

paintbox
09-30-2006, 10:42 PM
There's something like this for outer space isn't there? Although it's not done by Google, anyone know what I am talking about?

You are probably referring to Celestia. Check out:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

and for add-ons:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Amazing piece of software that starts where Google Earth ends.

And its like Elite but without Wolf MkIIIs, Thargoids and you have to add the "Blue Danube" music yourself ;)
*EDIT* that doesn't mean its a game...its a simulator!

PaulHellard
10-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Google Earth is constantly being updated.

I know that for a fact, cos out in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne Australia, (where I live), I used not to be able to zoom into within three stages from the closest.

Now, it reveals almost too much information. Now I can go right into my backyard. The update was taken in the first week of July 2005. I can tell because there are plumbers, carpenters and electrician's vans all over the driveway, and we have a caravan on the street. We were having renovations done and we had to live in the van outside for the week; now, I have photographic evidence from a very unlikely source.

berren
10-02-2006, 08:24 AM
For some reason if you go south east of Dirkou in Niger, Africa, there are some super hi-res pictures of a small town. You can actually make out people inside their houses, which is kind of bordering on invasion of privacy.

Digit
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes, but theres something weird going on too - where I used to live in London they updated the pic with a higher quality version but the actual photograph was older because the new buildings werent in the new photo!

visualride
10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
It doesn't always get better. When Google Earth was still Keyhole, pictures of Maui, Hawaii were much higher res. Perhaps the Google folk are holding out on the hi res for some Hawaiian pineapple kickbacks?

Kaostick
10-02-2006, 08:16 PM
The Netherlands has been updated quite a lot. Check out The Hague for some insane detail. (Search for "Den Haag, Netherlands").

Yeah, and check out this Crystalized airport.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=netherlands&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=52.129536,5.271506&spn=0.023947,0.066648&t=k&om=1

I can see airplanes at Area 51, but not Netherlands' airports? :shrug:

Neil
10-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I remember reading about groups that have world scavenger hunts with google earth. haha. Can be fun, especially if you're really bored, look for a car accident or something.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.