PDA

View Full Version : Splines Modeling

phantomworkshop
09-29-2006, 06:40 AM
This is for you industry proffessionals and freelancers out there;

In your opinion, are splines in 3DS Max still an acceptable method (so to speak) for modeling say, a human head?

What I mean is using a method that I've seen in many tutorials around. Where you begin by creating a series of splines to shape the eye, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc.. basically creating a flat surface with tons of edges / polies, practically setting up all of your topology and then pulling the vertices back and around to turn that flat surface into a 3d object? EGo Farms Forum - Head Modeling With Splines (http://forums.ego-farms.com/index.php?topic=83.0) is a tutorial that refers to what I'm asking about.

gringer
10-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Personally, I go with polygon modeling. Using splines and surface tools always seemed too akward to me, however, I guess it's horses for courses.

:D

phantomworkshop
10-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Nice to see a reply to this one.

I personally go with Polys myself as well, I was just curious because I'm not a Max user and was wondering if it's still a valid method for modeling a head , say in a production house.

gringer
10-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Also, of all the professional modeling DVDs I've seen as well as other tutorials from notable figures in the industry, they all seemed to use polygon modeling. I don't know if this is indicative or not, however it certainly shows that these people lean towards this technique.

:D

salmonmoose
10-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I'd not choose to use them for organic modeling.

However they are excellent for non organic things like cars.

Spline modeling (the max term is Patches) is good for sweeping regular curves, whilst the spline controls are hard to control en-masse they are fantastic for regular forms.

I lean towards building my mechanical shapes with splines to get the shape right, then I'll drop an editable poly layer on top to add details.

phantomworkshop
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies all.

newellteapot
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM
poly modeling is the technique most used in the industry, apart from "clay like modeling" with zbrush and mudbox. it's the most flexible :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.