PDA

View Full Version : HP says it agrees to buy gaming PC maker Voodoo

Saurus
09-29-2006, 12:59 AM
HP says it agrees to buy gaming PC maker Voodoo

" HP said that Voodoo, whose computers can cost thousands of dollars, would be part of a new gaming business unit that HP is creating to help tap the multibillion-dollar market."

LINK (http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-09-28T214723Z_01_N28422736_RTRIDST_0_TECH-VOODOO-HEWLETTPACKARD-URGENT.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna)

Szos
09-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea, cuz HP's buy out of Compaq went over sooo well, that they just really needed to buy up another PC maker. :rolleyes:

EnlightenedPixel
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Hasnt Alienware's popularity dropped like a bad habbit since Dell bought them out. Seriously, in what way do any of these people see this ending well?

PhantomDesign
09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Who runs these buyouts? Compaq produced the crappiest computers you could buy; at least they were very close in crappiness to emachines. Voodoo was cool at a time with over-powered graphics cards, but I thought that company died 7 years ago.

Szos
09-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Who runs these buyouts?

It's always the guys that have the least to directly do with the actual product and actual work... people like the accountants and execs that push for these buyouts, cuz it sure as hell wouldn't be the engineering guys, cuz they know it is completely and utterly pointless.

EnlightenedPixel
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Who runs these buyouts? Compaq produced the crappiest computers you could buy; at least they were very close in crappiness to emachines. Voodoo was cool at a time with over-powered graphics cards, but I thought that company died 7 years ago.

That was Voodoo 3D the video card manufacturer. This is Voodoo PC, a PC manufacturer. Voodoo the videocard maker got bought out by Nvidia.

Maybe Dell and HP just want to lower peoples expectations in what a PC should be like, so theyre getting rid of the better *but smaller* competition by buying them out.

Kanga
09-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Hp should put out laptops that support xp pro (not just home). Ive had a new one and its giving me hell trying to install a recently purchased OS!

Man am I pissed!

richcz3
09-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Market/Product line diversification - 2007 will probably be a very dire year for PC manufactuers and resellers. To companies like Dell and HP buying up niche market makers that are doing well in lean times looks good on paper. Despite some very promising dual and quad chips entering the market, overall sales are slow and low for corporate players. Meanwhile the niche gaming market does well for itself.

Between Intel cutting their payrolls, Dell facing NASDAQ delisting for accounting irregularities, and Vista being released very late and to less than "must have" reviews. It's best for compaies in the PC industry to minimize the competition and grab up the few that are making some coin.

Apoclypse
09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
This might be good for HP, I don't think they have anything similar to Dell's xps out on the market and with Voodoo PC being experst in highend gaming rigs they might be able to take on e out. As for Alienware sales dropping after Dell bought them, its very tru but that is Dell's fault since the xps can give the same if not better performance at much better prices. Basically dell was competing with itself. One thing that Dell has been good at is pricing, Alienware is expensive and the case was nice when it first came out but its really ho-hum now.

Fonix
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Hp should put out laptops that support xp pro (not just home). Ive had a new one and its giving me hell trying to install a recently purchased OS!

Man am I pissed!
Dont buy HPs personal line, it crap. Go for there buisness line(which comes with pro) its usually much higher quality stuff.

Kanga
09-30-2006, 01:03 AM
Dont buy HPs personal line, it crap. Go for there buisness line(which comes with pro) its usually much higher quality stuff.
Man I am going to remember that advice!
Thanx Fomix!

quyeno
09-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Dont buy Dell or HP, they're both crap...for the money you can build a machine from branded parts. My Dual Zeon HP machine at work is flakey as...i wouldn't like to think how it costs :(

PhillipCrond
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
I always thought that Alienware and Voodoo should have merged and formed "Alien Doo," because that's what their computers look like.

Womball
10-01-2006, 04:31 AM
The laptops chasis that voodoo rebadges are the same Sager sells. And you can get those much cheaper. :-)

Apoclypse
10-02-2006, 05:20 AM
I might be wrong but I don't think Voodoo does custom cases like alienware does. I still believe that alienware and voodoo overcharge for stuff that if you built you'd probably still have a thou or more in you pocket. Falcon Northwest i even worst (though those things actually do kick ass in terms of performance, I also like the custom painted cases $$$).

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 05:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.