PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake

gringer
09-29-2006, 12:46 AM
If you havn't seen the preview of the new game 'Alan Wake' being developed by Remedy, the same people who brought you the Max Payne series, then check it out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEBOn9K5Nk&NR

Despite the video quality being poor, you get the idea of how powerful the new quadcore processors are.

After watching this, I had to wonder... if they can do all of this dynamically, volumetric lights, hardcore physics simulations etc, surely there is a real time texturing,lighting etc environment around the corner for 3D applications?

Perhaps this already exists, I don't know.

Thoughts?

Michael.

scorpion007
09-29-2006, 01:51 AM
you sure this is the right link?

noisewar
09-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Alan Wake trailer looks phenomenal, far and above in quality and art direction than most of the next-gen stuff being shown. I hope the best for the success and influence of this game, and for the record, Max Payne rocked =D

gringer
09-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Ah, sorry people. copy and paste error there.

here is the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEBOn9K5Nk&NR

nuke
09-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Way to go, Finnish developer Remedy!

Regards,

j.peeba
09-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Also remember to check out the new screenshots:

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots.html

nsb
09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
Now this game deserves to be under the "next gen" title, lighting/environment effects look awesome and should be a focus more on other games... Too many claiming next gen just look like more polys and slightly higher textuer res, which can be nice but is not pushing the next gen if u ask me.

cant wait to play Alan wake

JoeBananas
09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
wow! thats an amazing engine :eek:

I can't wait to play this. I loved Max Payne2, so I've got high hopes for this one.

Chango
09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
So this is from an Finnish developer! looks great! - Go Soumi ! :thumbsup: .

EnlightenedPixel
09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Good lord! And they want to run that on a 360 and PS3?
I guess that says something about the power both of them have if theyre able to run it without taking down the level of detail.

Shaderhacker
09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks very nice! I pray the story is just as impressive!

-M

ParamountCell
09-29-2006, 10:41 PM
amazing, I would love to have that demo they had just to play about with the weather for a bit!

Para
09-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Good lord! And they want to run that on a 360 and PS3?
I guess that says something about the power both of them have if theyre able to run it without taking down the level of detail.

360 and PC. No PS3 version is in planning for my knowledge.

Omnifarious
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM

You would be correct. Microsoft Studios scooped this one up as Alan Wake's publisher. No PS3 version is ever likely to developed.

Amazingly, the developers over at Remedy have every confidence that the 360 will be able to run Alan Wake much in the same way the "quad core" version of Alan Wake will run as they are optimizing the 360 version to take advantage of Xenos. That doesn't surprise me as much as seeing another DX9 based game looking stellar.

It also backs up my view that developers will probably take years before any DX10 elements are applied to game development. At this point, what would be the rush?

leach
09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
So how would they expect this to run on 99.9% of PCs that dont have quad cores, considering the tonardo effect takes up a whole CPU alone?

EnlightenedPixel
09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
You would be correct. Microsoft Studios scooped this one up as Alan Wake's publisher. No PS3 version is ever likely to developed.

It WAS listed as being in developement for PS3 my too many websites to count.

In otherwords, another Bungie Buyout?

That is REALY bad for the industry but not so surprising of Microsoft.

I think Bungie would have done even better had they stayed open to both consoles.

Para
09-30-2006, 04:41 PM

I think Bungie would have done even better had they stayed open to both consoles.

Isn't it like really old news that Alan Wake was moved to the "Games for Windows" thingamajig or whatever?

As for Bungie...well, Halo was originally supposed to be an RTS. Now that Halo trilogy is almost out, another company is doing Halo Wars which is, suprise suprise, Halo RTS.

Omnifarious
09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
It WAS listed as being in developement for PS3 my too many websites to count.

Microsoft didn't buy Remedy, they just became the exclusive publisher of Alan Wake. No matter what you may think of Microsoft, they have a pretty good reputation as a gaming publisher and they don't buy out every developing studio they work with. That's more like EA's method of doing things. Now that is a rotten publisher, and they now most certainly have their eyes fixed on Crytek.

Microsoft Studios has only 4 in house developers. Bungie (Halo), Lionhead (Fable), Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires) and Rare (PDZ/Killer Instinct).

EA is just the opposite. They have purchased several game studios just for their intellectual properties. They then send developers packing by shutting those studios down.

TumikSmacker
09-30-2006, 06:25 PM

Ya plus the PS3 wouldn't be able to handle it :P :P

Arrghman
09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
So how would they expect this to run on 99.9% of PCs that dont have quad cores, considering the tonardo effect takes up a whole CPU alone?

They're not requiring a quad core to run the game, though apparently a dual-core will be minimum. And they're apparently looking into using a single hyperthreaded core as well.

Alan Wake & Multi-core Gaming (http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2841&p=2)

leach
09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the link, helped to clear things up.

It certainly seems that intel are hoping this become the 'killer app' for dual/quad cores. Will be interesting to see how many future PC titles take a similar approach.

Im not sure its entirely wise myself, but its good that someone is doing it, i'll be keeping an eye on how many copies they sell for the PC side.

Kabab
10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
So from what that article says they use the extra cores to prepare data for rendering... By the sounds of it your going to need LOTS of ram..

I wonder how much ram that system had?

leach
10-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I think it was mentioned that one of the cores will be used to stream data from the DVD, so may not require lots and lots of ram, but yeah, id imagine the more ram you have the better it will run.

Pufferfish
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Looks really sweet, but good looks does not make a good game :)
I hope the story is on a par with visual side.

Michael5188
10-02-2006, 08:17 PM
That water looked amazing, as did the weather system.

But I felt like the tornado ripping the buildings apart looked strange, very obvious that the buildings are seperated into individual objects that don't rip off each other or break apart, but simple float off one another and into the twister.... Am I being way too picky here?

In general though, that demo looked great.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-02-2006, 09:35 PM
buildings are seperated into individual objects that don't rip off each other or break apart, but simple float off one another and into the twister.... Am I being way too picky here?

id say so yes. since this level of physical interaction hasnt been done before.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.