09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
wow...

so much for the naysayers.

Slurry
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Now THAT is a good looking penguin movie! :D

gingamonkey
09-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Looking forward to this... and Open Season too.

Love the style of these films - always imagined a CG toon movie to look this way.

Only hope they scrub up as decent films. If so, Sony have hit the ground running in my book.

:thumbsup:

ntmonkey
09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Talk about a movie I wished I could have worked on. I'm a huge fan of surfing and this one won me over. Great looking waves. I wonder if any of the staff got to go to Hawaii to check out Pipeline for the waves.

Looks great guys. Wrap it up so we can see!!

-Lu

Lunatique
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Woohoo! I'm doing some work on Surf's Up at the moment, and it's very exciting to finally see the trailer! The presentation for the premise was very well done--building up a sense of history right off the bat.

Ok, my lunch break is over. I gotta go paint some more of Cody's penguin butt. (Cody's the main character.)

kabojnk
09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
wow...

so much for the naysayers.

Ditto on that one.

poly-phobic
09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
waves, ocean, foam; amazing.

now the trend is going to be penguins?

Lunatique
09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I was just thinking--they should do the premier in Hawaii, with guys in penguin suits walking around with surfboards. :D

Geta-Ve
09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
I was just thinking--they should do the premier in Hawaii, with guys in penguin suits walking around with surfboards. :D

Haha, nice, or maybe all that butt has got to your head?! :D

gunslingerblack
09-28-2006, 11:55 PM
jesus...watching this trailer gave me the surfing itch again...i hope the waves are good soon i'll hit up my winter suit and go out for a bit before i have to move.

looks wonderful drooled over everything including the water and the surfing shots.

ohhh man i can't wait.

Aluuk
09-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Awesome job! The water and camera work looks amazing!

Per-Anders
09-29-2006, 04:55 AM
That actually does look pretty nice, the water is looking pretty good, though the only bits putting me off on the water right now are the particle effets under the boards but they're probably pretty true to life so what do i know? :D Sony sure seem to be producing some nice looking things these days.

shy-guy
09-29-2006, 05:47 AM
Woa... that looks pretty neat. I like the style, and the fact that it looks (from the trailer) like it can be a bit more serious and intense than the usual cg movie with talking animals you see these days.

Really cool. Btw, whose the voice of the main character? Argggh.... i almost got it but... i cant quite put my finger on it... :banghead:

thematt
09-29-2006, 08:58 AM
wow that looks amazing!! animation, editing, idea, rendering..everything is just great.
Awesome job sony..looking forward to it very much.

cheers

Breinmeester
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Watched it without sound and I have no idea what it's about. Looks great. I like the z-boys style beginning, shows effort to establish a mood. I think all of these penguin films will have the problem of getting distinguishing recognizable characters, all these penguin characters look quite the same. To me it feels a lot more appealing than 'Happy Feet', although I'm getting to grips with that film's premise (saw the trailer on the big screen and strange enough it was a lot more compelling and it did make me happy).

Geta-Ve
09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Woa... that looks pretty neat. I like the style, and the fact that it looks (from the trailer) like it can be a bit more serious and intense than the usual cg movie with talking animals you see these days.

Really cool. Btw, whose the voice of the main character? Argggh.... i almost got it but... i cant quite put my finger on it... :banghead:

bruce willis! and if it isn't than I will eat my hat!

Per-Anders
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM

You'd better post some pictures as evidence, cos it's Shia LaBeouf.

thematt
09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve

LOL..want to see that too.

spikkel
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Awesome! Just Awesome!
How's that water, hey!

I can't wait for this!

jason-slab
09-29-2006, 11:10 AM
looks great, man that water sure does look gooD!!

j

heney
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I think all of these penguin films will have the problem of getting distinguishing recognizable characters, all these penguin characters look quite the same.

That's what I'm loving about the design of these guys, if you watch the trailer again, look for all the different "hairstyles" and even more importantly patterns on different characters. Z has almost leopard print on his chest, Cody has kind of a tribal design, and then theres the two penguins that wince when Cody falls, the one has these japanese type swirls, and the other one with the long hair has white spotted "trim." Its pretty cool.

Water looks amazing by the way.

Digit
09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
The "archive footage" looks really great!

danimat0r
09-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't give a rat's ass about surfing.

And this trailer made me wet myself. The backstory narration bit is amazing. Finally some story texture; some originality, something that's not just rendered in the broadest possible strokes we've all seen before.

I love the pseudo-documentary feel to the cinematography, the designs, hell, even the writing throughout was really solid. I can't believe I'm seeing something I'm so excited about not being delivered by Pixar. (rather, Pixar alum Ash Brannon, but still... ;)) Amazing work guys, this looks like it could be a blast.

gginther
09-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Beautiful! especially the "vintage-looking" stuff, it all looks so good! :applause:

aghill
09-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Wawawoowa.. That is nice. Its some nice effects right there! Great Visuals!

But ANOTHER pinguin movie? I dont know what to feel... It looks so nice, yet so obvious and "madegasca on repeat"-ish.

Poisen
09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
yep the effects and the movies style of CG look great...A++
but i guess im just anti-penguin.
and i will still say, 5-6 CG movies based on penguins in 2 years doesnt say alot for the originality in the industry.
evil penguins, dancing penguins, marching penguins, singing penguins & now surfer penguins..
penguin pirates in space anyone? ;)

Misery
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
G-golly, another penguin movie, maybe????
Oh wait, it actually looks awesome and it doesn't have Robin Williams in it!
I'm definately going to check this one out.

danimat0r
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I've watched it probably 10 times now and it still gives me shivers. The music, the visuals, the tone and sense of history that permeates the whole thing; it just looks amazing. I hope hope hope it turns out solid; this is officially one of my most anticipated of next year.

rblitz7
09-29-2006, 07:38 PM
This movie looks really nice!...2007 is starting to look like a very fun year.:scream:

Geta-Ve
09-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Ah yes. now that you say the name I can hear the voice. sounds an awful lot like bruce though.. :p

CelticArtist
09-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm glad everyone loves the trailer, makes me all warm inside :) I spent over a year on Surf's Up and loved it all. I do agree, it seems like yet another penguin movie on some counts, but trust me, it won't be. Sony has gold on their hands right now with Open Season and then Surf's Up, I hope they can continue going strong.

now...anyone wanna hire a modeler? ;)

cpaulson
09-30-2006, 11:11 PM
wow, that is awsome, like everyone else I was totally taken by suprise by this trailer. I haven't been interested in going to see any cg movies lately, but this one looks so good that i can't wait. way to go guys:)

mttjss
10-01-2006, 12:56 AM
OMG :eek:

the waves!

The fur and sand...

but the waves!!!

I have seen some amazing things in CG movies as of late....but..

the waves.

Matt -

mttjss
10-01-2006, 12:56 AM
didnt mean to double-post

the waves though!

anakinbrego
10-01-2006, 10:20 AM
The waves are indeed awesome!

Hollingsworth
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Woohoo! I'm doing some work on Surf's Up at the moment, and it's very exciting to finally see the trailer! The presentation for the premise was very well done--building up a sense of history right off the bat.

Ok, my lunch break is over. I gotta go paint some more of Cody's penguin butt. (Cody's the main character.)

Hey man,

What are you doing on the film? I was at Sony for a year working on the texture team, and Brian Ripley is the one who painted Cody as far as I recall. Not implying you are NOT working on it, just wondering what you're painting.

I painted 13 characters, including Lani, Big Z, the Geek and others....

Glad everyone's digging it. It was my favorite film to work on ever.

stevopolis
10-02-2006, 04:28 AM
This looks like it is going to be huge! Kids will love this.

Lunatique
10-02-2006, 05:50 AM
What are you doing on the film?

I was sub-contracted by *edited to be NDA safe* to paint some high-resolution style guides for Cody and Chicken Joe in various poses. I'm now painting style guides for Venon on Spiderman 3 as well, and probably other characters too.

Hollingsworth
10-02-2006, 06:15 AM
*For* Sony or for other media? Don't answer if it'll get you in trouble, obviously we all signed NDAs Just don't know what you mean by style guides for the characters, as all of the lookdev and visdev on Surf's Up is already done for everything. Kind of surprising to hear them hiring something out for the film when Surf's Up has their own SPA visdev team for this, all of whom are amazing. Not at all discounting your work, of course.

KOKE
10-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Looks great, but what is wrong with the film industry....? someone decides to use penguins and then 10 other people do the same.
I think that people should be a bit more original.
If someone used penguins, use any other animal.
Is there an explenation to why so many films (not only animation) copy other films?.
I guess if they do it is for a reason.

Anyway the film looks awesome, and the water is amazing.

JK.

:D

Hollingsworth
10-02-2006, 07:29 AM
It's because all the big shops use Linux, man.

http://maudit.net/images/loose/Linux-logo.jpg

Lunatique
10-02-2006, 07:45 AM
*For* Sony or for other media? Don't answer if it'll get you in trouble, obviously we all signed NDAs Just don't know what you mean by style guides for the characters, as all of the lookdev and visdev on Surf's Up is already done for everything. Kind of surprising to hear them hiring something out for the film when Surf's Up has their own SPA visdev team for this, all of whom are amazing. Not at all discounting your work, of course.

It's probably not a good idea to discuss details, since as you said, we all signed NDA's. The Sony's guys are absolutely top-rate, and I tried my best to match that quality.

mech7
10-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Hmm well it looks cool but what the hell where they on when they wrote this script? It has to be the worst i ever seen lol :)

fattyLees
10-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Hmm well it looks cool but what the hell where they on when they wrote this script? It has to be the worst i ever seen lol :)

And that's because you read the script and have seen the movie already?
Care to elaborate why it's the worst you've ever seen?

jason-slab
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM

yeah, i'd also like an answer?

Scandell
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Trust me guys...in ten years...when we all are looking back at all of the animated films that have been produced...only ONE penguin film will be remembered. SURF'S UP!!!

Surf's Up is to Happy Feet like Finding Nemo is to Shark's Tale.

rblitz7
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Trust me guys...in ten years...when we all are looking back at all of the animated films that have been produced...only ONE penguin film will be remembered. SURF'S UP!!!

Surf's Up is to Happy Feet like Finding Nemo is to Shark's Tale.
kind of biased eh?:D

mech7
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
No I haven't read the script but jsut look at the trailer.. "A true story" right? they act all serious and they have cartoony looking characters. I don't know but it does not look funny from the trailer and if it is not funny what is left there for the movie great looking waves :shrug:

CelticArtist
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
No I haven't read the script but jsut look at the trailer.. "A true story" right? they act all serious and they have cartoony looking characters. I don't know but it does not look funny from the trailer and if it is not funny what is left there for the movie great looking waves :shrug:

ooh a psychic without a sense of humor, you have every right to your opinion, but have you ever actually SEEN an animated movie?

agreenster
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM

Hey man

It's called a Mockumentary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockumentary) you know, like Orson Welles loved to do (War of the Worlds, etc). I think it's a creative and entertaining solution to the stagnation of many animated films these days. In fact, it might prove to be brilliant. Keep on pushin Sony folk...pay no attention to the peasants ;)

Hollingsworth
10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Besides, ask *anyone* who's worked on it and you'll hear raves about the entire thing. Usually, if a movie's gonna be a stinker, there's a lot of trouble on the film and people are not all happy. On Surf's Up, I think they got a really great crew together and a great film naturally followed. I don't think it should be so easily dismissed by someone who clearly has no understanding about much of anything in the film. This is a teaser trailer which gives a taste, a small taste, of what's to come. Not everyone will like it, of course, but this is CG done really well by a talented crew. It had the best set of supervisors I've ever worked with too, at every level.

Dennik
10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I love the effects, waves etc, i love the sylization of the penguins. I'm hopping for a good and entertaining story most of all, cause seriously, i'm a bit tired of talking animals at this point.

Misery
10-05-2006, 12:07 AM

Are you really from Namibia? I here there's alot of serious work out there. And what kind of name is mech7 anyway? It's to bad when you come up with such a unique login name, only to find 6 others came up with the same idea before you.

NickHiatt
10-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Besides, ask *anyone* who's worked on it and you'll hear raves about the entire thing. Usually, if a movie's gonna be a stinker, there's a lot of trouble on the film and people are not all happy. On Surf's Up, I think they got a really great crew together and a great film naturally followed. I don't think it should be so easily dismissed by someone who clearly has no understanding about much of anything in the film. This is a teaser trailer which gives a taste, a small taste, of what's to come. Not everyone will like it, of course, but this is CG done really well by a talented crew. It had the best set of supervisors I've ever worked with too, at every level.

I agree - this has been an awesome film to work on and the whole crew is top notch.

Kanga
03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Ha ha!
That broke my pathologic hate for fluffy animal flicks:).
Took me back, my first board was a 9 foot battle cruiser. You could put a deck chair on it and read the sunday paper let alone hang 10.

Nice stuff!

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.