PDA

View Full Version : combustion needs 5 Ghz?(speed probs)

maYa_GuRu
02-01-2003, 05:12 AM
im up to hhave my first experiences with combustion but
what da hell
this progg is running so damn slow i cant belive it

i have 1200 mhz
and 500 of ram
and a geforce 3

but i even cant play a avi in realtime
i always trys to laod first of all every frame into my ram which ends up with a ram overkill
at about 200 frames

and then i won give it free anymore
so my comp is on overheat

i really really hope anyone can help me with this

otherwise its totally unusefull for me :/

thedaemon
02-01-2003, 07:37 AM
I have a similar question as you do. What part of your pc does the Viewport rendering rely on? CPU? I was curious as to why it renders so slowly to the ram the first time on my old 800mhz pc ;) I am going to get a new pc soon, and was wondering if dual cpu's would improve speed dramatically in the viewport.

BTW in your preferences you can set how much RAM is used by combustion. Maybe this will help you?

sekhmet
02-01-2003, 04:47 PM
first of all, combustion is a RAM buster! :)
but i think you should check some things:
-chech in file->preferences->caching in your allowed ram amount is correct (you should put around 80/90% and not 100% because it'd mean computer conflict...)
-still in preferences check opengl. if "Use software Opengl" box is checked, uncheck it! You would'nt be using the power of your GeForce
-check what kind of display you have on the middle right of combustion interface: preview, best, medium, draft
if you load 200 frames in best mode, don't be surprised to run out of ram :)
if nothing goes better then it may be some incompatibility with your computer

arvid
02-02-2003, 12:27 AM
I do agree that combustion is a ram-hog, but I think this may just be a little misunderstanding, combustion isn't a video program, you're not supposed to play back video in it, you're compositing essentially on still images, with the added plus of being able to play a limited range of frames to see it in motion, combustion renderes each frame through the pipeline and stores it in ram, it's not playing the video like the Windows Mediaplayer or the Quicktime player does. Work your way through the shot you're compositing and play it piece by piece as you work on it, when you want to see the whole thing, render it to a file and play it. This applies to all of the software compositors. I find myself purging the ram all the time even on 1Gb, 500mb is a little less than average for workstations these days.
Once you play with combustion on combustions' rules you'll find it useful, numerous persons before you already have :)

maYa_GuRu
02-02-2003, 03:14 AM
aight many thx to you guys i will test it with cache set to less than 100 %:)

GrantKay
02-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi,

With regards to speed, this is purely based on the processor speed. If you have 2 processors then combustion enables full multi-threading.

As for RAM, as so politely put earlier, combustion is RAM intensive. The reason for this is during the interactive playback, combustion is caching every area seperately, ie: filters, footage, layers and the the composite. The idea behind this is that you modify one layer in your composite and combustion does not need to cache up the other layers therefore the reaction time of the software is faster.

However, there are 2 things I can recommend if you are in short supply of RAM. Firstly you can limit the playing region by adjusting the green and red markers below the scroll bar on the play controls... usually SHFT-I for setting an in-point and SHFT-O for setting an out-point.

Secondly you can use the RAM player (CTRL-SHFT-R). The differences between the RAM player and the interactive RAM cache is that the RAM Player only caches the composite . IE: What you see in the viewports only. This will give you more frames to cache up and playback in real-time.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

thedaemon
02-03-2003, 07:15 AM
thanks guys, I have 648mb, so thats not enough :) but thanks lots for the tips.:airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.