PDA

View Full Version : Audi TT - VanArts Student '06

altapowskier
09-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Hello all, my name is Brett and I am currently attending the Visual Effects program at Vancouver Institute Of Media Arts (VanArts)... We're about 3 months in now and just finished my first model I thought was worthy of a cgtalk post... hehe. It's just a simple turnaround of the car... Nothing Spectacular, more of a reflection test than anything else. Anyway, just wanted to get some crits. It's a very basic scene with only two lights which I plan on re-doing when I want some better renders. The car isn't fully finished either, the grill needs some work, and I forgot the gas cap... duh. The refractions in the glass are kinda funky too, I have the index set properly but I think I need a few more materials to get the shader right... Anyway, Thank You for looking, I would appreciate any comments, good or bad. OH, sorry about the sendspace, I haven't set up a website yet. It's a small file though, only 6MB... I attached a few stills:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dbxeoe

SunDog101
09-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Good Work! Nice neat modeling job. Just curious what software did you use to model it? Nevermind my question. After I looked in your portfolio I found out you made it with Maya.

I would suggest a cheap lighting trick to make the surface of the car look softer. I normally map an .hdr image(preferably an overcast sky) onto the inside of a sphere(sky dome object) and set its Luminosity between %100 - 125% so and turn Diffuse to 0 so that the textured sky gives off light using the hdr image. I use Lightwave Radiosity but you should be able to get similair results using Mental Ray final gather. Also sometimes it looks good to have 1 spotlight to add some specualr highlights. I think Ambient color in Maya is = to Luminosity in Lightwave.

If you want to try this out and don't have an hdr image let me know and I will send you a couple. :thumbsup:

altapowskier
09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank You for your comments SunDog... Yes, it was modelled in Maya 7.0 w/ Mental Ray & Final Gather... We only spent a day messing around with HDRI domes, and I really liked the real reflections, but our entire library of HDR Images are kind of blurry, and I didn't like how it looked... I heard something about being able to plug a picture into the reflections of the shader? To give off reflections without a HDRI? I haven't looked into it yet. We haven't gone too in-depth with Shaders & Texturing yet, it's actually what we're working on now... I kind of have to put this on the back-burner for now, we're getting swamped with new stuff. Anyway, Thank You for the comments.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.