PDA

View Full Version : Ropes and knots

bonestructure
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I've never had much luck modeling ropes and knots. Oh straight ropes sure, and a little bent. No problem. I've tried to use the torus knot but I can never get it to texture right and besides, it doesn't look all that good. My current project needs several large ropes and ties to attach a body object to a pole, and several smaller ties to attach sticks to sticks. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tutes for making ropes and knots and ties.

frothlord
09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Curves (Maya) or Lines with rendering enabled (Max) are probably the fastest way to accuratly make a knot or coiled rope.

In Maya you would need to extrude a circle along the curve, and in Max, well.. if you click enable in viewport/render and tweak the settings you're pretty much there.

Both of these techniques are based off of a simple curve you can edit for the look you need.

newellteapot
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
For Max, after you are happy with shape, convert the line in a poly so that then you can do some work on the endings. Puttin some planes with a texture of threads, to imitate the look of a cut rope, will however save you the conversion.
:)

bonestructure
09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
My problem is, and this may sound incredibly stupid and ignorant, but I've never been able to figure out how, when drawing sline lines, to switch windows to get lines that aren't all on one plane. And how do you texture the dang things after they're done?

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.