PDA

View Full Version : Taeyoung Kim VFX reel

p0rcupine
09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi, my name is Taeyoung Kim and here is the work I did during VFS life.
I wish I did better job at it but I guess this has to be it for now.

I really wanna hear what you guys think about it.
Please enlighten my CG life with ur crits and comments.

Thanks for viewing.

mirror -> thanks to rjays for offering the webspace

http://r-3d.com/reels/TaeyoungKim_VFXdemoreel_360x240.mov
http://r-3d.com/reels/TaeyoungKim_VFXdemoreel_520x390.mov

mirror -> thanks to Phan for webspace ;)

http://www.phanw.com/TaeyoungKim_VFXdemoreel_360x240.mov
http://www.phanw.com/TaeyoungKim_VFXdemoreel_520x390.mov

http://student.vfs.com/~3d57taeyoung/01.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/~3d57taeyoung/02.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/~3d57taeyoung/03.jpg

nessus
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Glad to be the first one to post here.

Great work!! Wish you the best of the best luck all the way!! get tougher in two years, u know what i mean, and then come back!!! we miss you already!!

chiquiflita
09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
You rule! Your work has always been impresive and you are one of the most talented people i know. I love your pice, if you ask me the best of 3d57. Awsome good luck my man! you will go far!

echoBars
09-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Very good work. The number of passes applied to your compositing work and it's integration into live action is impressive. Great attention to detail. Only thing that looked a little off was the specular shine near the end of the whale's tail as he swam overhead in your second shot. But that is a MINOR crit. Nitpicking aside, your work is fantastic. Congrats.

My site....http://burdenwoe.com

Silverwing
09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Really impressive work!
I loved the breakdown of the
wale-reflection in the
windows... amazing work!

4 Stars from me... really
amazing stuff!

myungjini
09-28-2006, 01:12 AM
First of all, hands clap!

Wow.. Im really glad to watch ur reel on here..I know how much you got a stress for making this guy BUT, You made it. You did it..^^
I think you would get a good job as goog position as well.
Yo Taeyoung!! Dont be shamed about your work. this is really well done that I have seen so far. Hope that this is going to be front page soon~ Of course 5 stars!!
Congarate again ^^

tokaru
09-28-2006, 01:48 AM
hyper harcore job dude very well done. its very impresive to look at the shots you did.

Morph106
09-28-2006, 01:54 AM
:buttrock: dude...

this is so kickass!!! you could soo be a f***in' teacher in VFX with a reel like yours. my god, i would have no idea how to even approach sumthin like that. just shows that you are one talented mofo cos a lota newbies will be wonderin' "how the f**k did he do that..?"

5 stars from me bro!

p0rcupine
09-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Wow. Thanks for your kind words guys.. and girls ;)

I hear it's really slow to download my reel so I am currently finding mirrors.

(mirrors will be soon available)

Sorry about slow downloads.

Only thing that looked a little off was the specular shine near the end of the whale's tail as he swam overhead in your second shot.
and yes burdennwoe I agree with u. In fact that's where I got confused what kind of look my whale should have. totally wet or a bit wet.... and by the time I got to that point, I didn't have enough time and energy. If I have chance I will try to fix it. Thanks for your crits and kind words.

fanger
09-28-2006, 03:37 AM
TUT TUT TUT Taeyoung, modesty doesn't suit you mate! stand up an' take a bow...awesome work there. its been a pleasure knowin' you an' learnin' from you. All the best! an' awesome future for people like you:thumbsup:
cheers,
Vikram

mistasam02
09-28-2006, 03:51 AM
dooood!! awesome work! saw your reel on a siggraph dvd the other day.. great stuff overall!

p0rcupine
09-28-2006, 04:00 AM
ok now the mirrors are up. hopefully this works out fine.

Oh Vikram.. lol good to hear from you. where u at now? in india? cananda? US? wherever u are.. good luck man....

Thought is real.........its the physical which is the illusion
a quote from "What dreams may come" I believe.. one of my favorite movies..

Hi mistasam02 Thanks for ur words, but u saw my work on a siggraph dvd? is there a chance that u've mistaken with somebody else's work because I didn't send anything to Siggraph...? but thank you anyway. cheers ;)

PangSiawYee
09-28-2006, 07:21 AM
The guy that carry his camera around most of the time did it! Your work is awesome! You are one of the most talented, most hardworking and most creative friend that I've ever met! Other than work work work, the class had so much fun with you! You are so helpful and willing to help any of us that have problem with our reel. We all miss you!

Don't give up my friend!! I'll be here waiting to see more of your work in the future!

All the best to you!

monnani
09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Very impressive! as the title says, the scenery you've created in your work totally makes me believe as if there were a real existing city called "whale city" somewhere on this planet. I also had a feeling of reading a poem when viewing your work.

Also talking about technical stuff, I'd like to point out the compositing. It was awesome and your CG whale blends so well with the real background image.

Nice work man. Keep it up~!

mgard
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
what a great potencial!!
just keep up the good work bro, and don't give up before you go to military service.
you've got great potencial..
great work.

p0rcupine
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Thank you PangSiawYee monnani mgard for appreciating my work.
but I wouldn't mind seeing any criticism you guys might have.

anybody not from VFS? I don't want this thread only VFS party you know.

please view my piece and tell me what you guys think. be honest. you don't have to be nice 'cause I am far away from wherever you guys are habitating hehehe.

once again Thanks for those who enjoyed my work. I appreciate it. ;)

ratatat
09-28-2006, 05:37 PM
great job here taeyoung. the whale is amazing and well placed into the scenery. most deserving of front page. 2 thumbs up!

cheers :bounce:

benclark
09-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Wow you are seriously talented guy. Something that noone has commented on is the animation of the whale - I love the way he just kinda flips his fin over the last street light.

That is work to be proud of, 5 stars from me

showko
09-29-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm really glad to see your demoreel here. couldn't be better than this~ everything is
perfect. lighting modeling texturing etc. I think you are really talented person.
so don't forget your artistic sense during military service. keep thinking about 3d even
you are in tough training. ^^ anyway~ good luck!!!

keyframekid
09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Absolutely beautiful.

Wayne jermaine
09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
hey kim keep up the good work its very good..I am proud of u son. shushi anyone?

chiquiflita
09-30-2006, 06:57 AM
When will this be front page!

bale
09-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Finally got to see your reel, really good! improoved a lot since the days, when you were just poking at crabs. I wanna see this on frontpage too! Tfs forever!!...lol

loocas
09-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Ahhh... finally something different from the VFS! :thumbsup:

Very nice shots man, very nice!

The whale was my favourite and the overall composition/FX was quite high-end, which resulted in a great final piece!

Congrats, and btw: http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me ;)

Pumar
09-30-2006, 12:07 PM
wow, really nice job you did here, i liked it a lot. so much work in this it's increadible. can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Best of luck man

p0rcupine
09-30-2006, 01:22 PM
ratatat, Thanks for ur kind words.

Alchemist101, thanks for appreciating my animation. I spend a lot of time animating the whale and then at the end I figured that I am not an animator. now I know how hard it is to animate. thanks again. ;)

showko, hey bro. you are being too nice. You and I both know it's not perfect. We always strive for perfection but we never get there. but thanks ;) u make me happy.

keyframekid, thanks man I am glad u think it's beautiful because that's what I was going for. beautiful whale with beautiful atmosphere. It's good to see some people feeling that way.

Wayne jermaine, what can I say to you. Thanks :)

chiquiflita, I don't know if I will get it or not but if I do it's all thanks to u.. u are one scary human being. ;)

Killrave, lol it's been a while hasn't it? I miss you man. thanks. I hope I do better next time I do something...

loocas, Thank you very much for appreciating my idea and work. thanks for the starts too :D

Pumar, glad to see someone being able to see how much work I put in it. I kept working on it worrying they wouldn't show up at all. well everything is like that I must say. any work we (CG people) do involves a lot of work, but people don't appreciate it because they haven't done it. they don't know how much work it is to creat one single image.... anyway I don't wanna get too carried away about this topic. hehe thanks man.

jlyapor
09-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey Taeyoung,

Everything turned out great! Don't feel like you didn't try your hardest.

I think the integration is pretty damn good, I was impressed. I don't think the reflections on the bottom of the whale are necessarily off, maybe a little sharp? I do like the wetness of it. I also like all the little changes you made to the plate, which are not obvious, they add life. That's a big part of vfx I think. At least I think it's fun doing it!

Crits: maybe slower breakdowns? I know how hard it is to keep the lenght of it down, I wanted to show more on mine but I ended up grouping some of the changes. And the other thing is the rack focus on the traffic lights felt a bit too blurry or maybe static? what do you think? I'm sure you played with it a lot.

It was a pleasure to have met you, you were always willing to help. keep in touch! and good luck with the job hunt.

yoni-cohen
10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Hey p0rcupine, care to join our Zoo dpt. ;)
very well executed I like it!!!

SanjayChand
10-01-2006, 01:22 AM
thats pretty damn cool.

Is the whale completely CG?

depleteD
10-01-2006, 02:07 AM
That was such a sweet reel.

dude, please apply at bioware (http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/edmonton_jobs/)

Jadetiger
10-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Awesome job!! I can't believe how many steps there were for each shot!! :eek: Kick ass whale!

fiftyfive
10-01-2006, 03:44 AM
well you sure did alot of work buddy, you were allways there day and night. Well done great job and good luck finding work.

Man I would love to see that big wale up close ;)

kevinmeo
10-01-2006, 05:54 AM
fantastic!!! you will be lucky ,i assure

mistasam02
10-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi mistasam02 Thanks for ur words, but u saw my work on a siggraph dvd? is there a chance that u've mistaken with somebody else's work because I didn't send anything to Siggraph...? but thank you anyway. cheers ;)

hey! sorry i didnt get back to this on time.. yea i saw this same exact "whale flying thru city" piece on a dvd my teacher was showing at school the other day! the only difference was that yours looks way better composited and a higher quality than the one i saw. is there someone else doing this as well?? the shots were exactly the same :shrug:

storyman
10-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Very impressive work!

For the Shot B breakdown > building lights layer, how do you do this?
Are you mapping textures on primitive buildings in the matchmoved set?
Thanks a lot!

JBoskma
10-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey Tae Young. Congrats on the front page and this very well rounded project. Excellent demonstration of your compositing skills. Good luck with the hunt, take care.

turx
10-01-2006, 09:37 AM
wow! first quality stuff you have!
good luck!

LukaStellwag
10-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Wow, impressive reel mate.

Katachi
10-01-2006, 10:50 AM
cool! Could you tell me who the artist of the song is? I love it!

Thanks
Samir

Djampa
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
very beautiful !

Nice reel. Pleasant to watch. You did a hard work on composting there, great output quality.

Congratulations ! Keep it up ! Cya,

tilite
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Amazing level of complexity and a truly beautiful result :)
Is there anywhere we can view the entire 'Whale City' clip?

p0rcupine
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
jlyapor, hey man thanks. I agree with you, my breakdown is a bit fast to see what's going on. hahaha. that's because, like you mentioned, I showed everything I did. I didn't group it like you did. It took too much time to show everything and I didn't have enough time to make another breakdown so I just made them go faster. and the rack focus.... yeah.. I just box blurred it. it's not even real rack focus anyway. so I cannot argue with you. Good luck to u jesus.

yoni-cohen, hey man thanks for ur awesomely kind words ;) I luv ur works.. It would be great if I get the chance to work with ur crew... I love the porcupine and the blowfish? the round fish.. they are so cute :)

aryaFX, yeah unfortunetely the whale is all cg..... I tried to get a real one but they are too needy....

depleteD, Thanks for ur kind words depleteD, that would be nice if I get a chance to work at Bioware. I heard Edmonton is a nice city.. except it's too cold and too much snow ;) but nice city to live in.......

Jadetiger, thanks Jadetiger... yeah I did a lot of work to make those shots to work and it's glad to see people liking it. thanks man.

fiftyfive, hey man u still don't get it do u. I stayed there just to see u lol. enough joke... thanks dude... good luck to u too...!

kevinmeo, I hope I get very lucky because that's what I need. ;) thanks

mistasam02, Oh.. thanks for getting back. I see.. maybe my school sent it to Siggraph... As u might know VFS owns the copyright of their students work, so they can send them wherever they want whenever they want. It's too bad that they sent my WIP reel. They should've waited a bit long. ;)

storyman, Hi, the building light layer was not 3d at all. it was couple of 2d images. I used boujou to track practical camera and then brought it to maya. and then I brought that camera to aftereffect. so I didn't have to track the camera move again. I made the building light layer 3d layer in after effect, place them where it belongs and then it was done. of course there was so many trial and errors I encountered but it was worth it.

JBoskma, yo buddy thanks man. I luv ur modeling reel man. one of my favorites. Good luck to u too. hopefully we will see each other in the future working together.

turx, thanks. :)

Littleluk, thanks.

Designer, yeah of course it's a song by sigur ros the title is staralfur... or it's the other way around.. hehe.. one of my classmate named Andreas told me about this song. glad u like it. ;)

Djampa, thank Djampa. ;)

PeterSanitra
10-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Nice work on the whale shot :thumbsup:

c_Hotchkiss
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
First of all, I like it ... alot.
Second, if this has been said, apologies.

Crits: One thing bugged me about the second shot and I couldnt place my finger on it. It seemed the whale wasnt integrating like I thought he should. I noticed there was no shadow, but I thought, meh, and forgot about it. I looked at the breakdowns cause I like ur reel... alot, and I noticed you indeed have a shadow in your breakdowns; the shadow laying just below the whale on the road, but in your final render, there is no shadow!
I like the final frame of the breakdowns, but as soon as the reel plays out, the comp changes!

?

As for the specular on the end of the tail... thats what hooked me... Very well done. I like the wet look.

Loewi
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
the breakdown of shot 1 still makes me giggle nervously.. it's just mindblowing how well composited it is.

You're the man, keep in touch :)

TAVO
10-01-2006, 04:45 PM
amazing job man, which software did you use for the entire reel ??

-pa6l0-
10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Very impressive!

what is this the song in your animation?? ...please! i need know this artist and title

sorry for my english [is not very well :/ ]

-pa6l0-
10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Very impressive!

what is this the song in your animation?? ...please! i need know this artist and title

sorry for my english [is not very well :/ ]

J.Gaeta
10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Great job Tae Young! Your skills are amazing. A very solid reel, for sure. Good luck!

Wongedan
10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
HI taeyoung, I saw your reel on the screening day :) and ioverall it looks NICE.

there is something I want to say also.

traffic light :

started from the first thing I saw of course the traffic light. on the first shot,
the relationship between green on the foreground traffic light and purple on the BG seems blurring the depth for me even that you already put DOF there.... even that purple has lower temperature, but the value (brightness) for the traffic light is almost equal to the bg.

the haze pass that you add in the traffic light seems a little bit too bright compared to the bg light condition. but I think that just a minor tought of mine hehehe

the blur seems slightly kills the spec on the footage. and again just a minor probs.
is that lens blur ? if its lensblur try to play with the brightness also :) if its not Lensblur, give a try photoshop lensblur with automate batch render you may get the similar DOF like good camera lens.

whale on second shot :
so far, its very nice model!! I have not much crits on it :)

and sometimes its a good decision to remove the shadow :) timewise hehehehhe

btw good luck for ur carreer dont forget to keep sharing ...

Geta-Ve
10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow man that was really good, you have come a long way since the days of IADT, wish I could say the same. You will go far for sure. Awesome stuff man!

fktt
10-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Very nicely done! tho i agree that the whale was to replective, but again, whale can't be dry or it would dye :/ GOOD JOB on it.

KOKE
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Beautiful work man.

The overall feel/look of the piece is amazing.

Best of luck with the job hunt, you have talent enough to get a nice job.

JK.

:D

p4roxysm
10-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Taeyoung, love your reel! Your work was a constant inspiration for me as I was developing my reel! Keep it up!

p0rcupine
10-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Tilite, many thanks for ur kind words. Unfortunately what u saw is all there is in whale city. It was just for my demoreel. but you are right. It would be cool to see more shots. seeing how people live with the whales.

PeterSanitra, thanks. glad u liked it :)

c_Hotchkiss, first of all thank you for liking my work. Second, thanks u very much for ur crits. I totally agree with u. I spent a lot of time trying to intergrate the whale to the plate but for some reason I couldn't get it as well as I wanted it to be. I kept trying but as you might already know there is a time where you have to stop and move on. (to finish it in time hehe) I hope somebody tells me the science of comping and how to comp perfectly then it would be great~! but I am not sure if it's gonna happen. I guess I gotta keep trying and see what works and what doesn't. About the shadow. hahaha u got me there too. I had shadow pass like u said, but I guess I forgot to turn in on when I was rendering the final output! :S I can't believe I did that. My stupidity. my fault. I can't blame anybody for it. and the thing is I found out that I missed the shadow pass long after I was done schooling. I guess I knew it was there so I didn't pay enough attention to it. but... you are so right.
Thank you c_Hotchkiss for ur critics. I really appreciate it.

Loewi, hey Andy~ it's been a while man~ where have u been? people luv the music man... it makes a really good mood for my stuff.. without ur music it wouldn't be as nice as it is now. thanks andy... Hey! did you see Siyoung's e-mail? about cyworld? go check it out. it's pretty neat. good way to upload pictures and share with people. ta ta~

Tayo, Hi, I used Maya for modeling, rigging, animating... Z brush for displacementmap, bump, texturemap along with photoshop. I used AfterEffect to comp and Premiere for editing.

-pa6l0-, yeah of course it's a song by sigur ros the title is staralfur... or it's the other way around.. hehe.. one of my classmate named Andreas told me about this song. glad u like it. ;)

J.Gaeta, thank you.

xvampire, started from the first thing I saw of course the traffic light. on the first shot,
the relationship between green on the foreground traffic light and purple on the BG seems blurring the depth for me even that you already put DOF there.... even that purple has lower temperature, but the value (brightness) for the traffic light is almost equal to the bg.
Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying. Can you explain me step by step what you are saying? I am not being funny, I appreciate your critic but I just don't understand the relationship you are trying to tell me.
the haze pass that you add in the traffic light seems a little bit too bright compared to the bg light condition. but I think that just a minor tought of mine hehehe
the blur seems slightly kills the spec on the footage. and again just a minor probs.
is that lens blur ? if its lensblur try to play with the brightness also :) if its not Lensblur, give a try photoshop lensblur with automate batch render you may get the similar DOF like good camera lens.
I used box blur to blur stuff. lense blur? I will give it a try next time. and also the autumate batch render too.
and sometimes its a good decision to remove the shadow :) timewise hehehehhe haha u got me there... I had shadow pass but I accidently turned it off for final output. I have the shadow in my breakdown thou.. hahaha.... I will make sure I turn it on next time I render it out. ;)
Thanks for ur critics man and please explain me more about the first one u mentioned. Is there any book that explains what you are talking about?

Geta-Ve, hey buddy~ it's been a long time man~ where have u been? what have u been doing? Haha I miss ur stupid jokes. Thanks for appreciating my work. hehehe... how old are u now...?

fktt, haha that's why I got confused while I was working on it. It should be dry 'cause it's been on the air for a while. If it is too dry, it would be dead wouldn't it. hehehe... In the begining I was going for somewhere between dry and wet but at the end I like the wet look. more realisitc.. That's what people expect to see when they think fish or whale. wet. and I wanted to keep my whale alive. lol

KOKE, thanks for kind words ;)

p4roxysm, oh man you talking about inspiration! I luv ur work man. It's very nice. Nice compostion. Nice idea. My favorite is the frog falling from the sky. I loved watching it. Very cute and cool. I am sure u won't have any problem landing a job if u haven't yet. Good luck Patrick.

snwbrdn7
10-02-2006, 05:33 AM
:applause: I think whale city is a place I would like to visit, and you definately make it look very believable. Great work! I see a future in film for you, concerning the realistic stuff.

I also have to say how much I love the work that comes out of VFS. Great school. You make the place shine

Joanimation
10-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Man, you rock!!

I've been socked by your reel. It has a production quality! I myself am very found on integrating creatures, though I usually work on earlier stages( modeling, rigging, animating, specially animating). There is some special magic in making believe people it really exists, isn't it? Which stages are made in Maya and which in After-effects?

Wish you best of lucks, though with that talent you really don't need it!

Juan

tinitus
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
_!!great!!_

piscium
10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm yoonsung.haha
great work man! you got a front page! lol!
5 stars from me!
teach me Zbrush man! kk

c_Hotchkiss
10-02-2006, 04:16 PM
sorry if i sounded like i was criticizing your comp... i think its amazing!Besides the shadow, its perfect from my eyes!

I was just wondering why your breakdowns comp was different from your final render comp.

I think the shadow would boost the integration bigtime.. I dont think you missed other integration elements..

Zethriel
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Good work!It has been really interesting to see all the passes you used.

valpine8_007
10-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Maaaaan, the work is awesome. And it has to be after all that cut and retake, re-shooting for more than 6 times the same thing on a different day and TONZ of R&N before finalizing the location. It almost took on and off 4 months to finalize this location. TONZ of effort and it pays back.

Hats off for you man. U ROCK .

Keep it up and dont let us down.

Scob
10-03-2006, 08:15 AM
HUGE...!!!
Amanzing stuff...:arteest:
Cheers..

wesa
10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Sweet textures! Like the animation aswell!
Really nice composite! Keep it up!

PHO 75
10-04-2006, 02:56 AM
mr. kim, incredible work my friend. The comp is top notch and the texture on that whale is spot on. the quality of textures you and shinuto have pulled off is just mind blowing. my only crit is i would like to have seen one more shot, possibly a shot with a live actor, maybe from inside looking out the window of a building. i dont' know, maybe crazy but i just think that would have been cool....
it has been a pleasure working with you my friend, you have an incredible eye for detail, you really do. Taeyoung Kim representing 3d57 with a front page reel!! good luck in the army and i will make it my personal mission to make sure you're working the second you're out. of course i know you will not need my help. take care buddy

A large number 2 with extra meatballs at PHO 75

p0rcupine
10-05-2006, 08:03 AM
snwbrdn7, yeah I shot the footage in Vancouver, which is a very very nice city to live in, if u ask me one of the best in the world, except the winters hehe... It's true that I make the school shine because I used to clean our classes monitors with windex. They were surely shiny hehehe.... clean monitors = better artist.. lol

Frikimon, glad u've been socked by my reel. ;) After making this reel, my appreciation towards to animators has become bigger.. jeez.. how do you guys animate so well. you guys make them alive~! anyway. Comping and vfx side of cg has been interesting to me and I guess it's the magic that drag me into that area.. that speical something... is what I love about this field.. I am sure you know what I am talking about. Well. everything about the whale was done in maya and everything that is related to the plate was done in After effect such as placing building lights and street lights etc. Thanks again for being socked by my reel ;)

tinitus, _!!thanx!!_

piscium, Hey yoon sung. thanks for the stars ;)

c_Hotchkiss, You don't need to be sorry my friend. As I said before I appreciate ur suggestion. I won't forget to turn on the shadow next time I render them out. :D

Zethriel, Thanks.. I think I should've shortened the breakdown hehe... it's quite long isn't it... I used manay passes to get the wet look on the whale... glad u liked it...

valpine8_007, yo man. You didn't have to remind me all the work and time I put in to decide my location and my final plate. It was horrible experience for me. hahaha. Yeah you are right I used a lot of my energy on the plate and the camera works almost too much, but it paid back I guess. I hope we can work together in the future. maybe in India or in States.. wherever we can breath. Take care buddy. Good luck! and finish you god damn firefly project. it's gonna be awesome.

Scob, thank you :)

Jonason, thanks for liking my work. :D

PHO 75, Hey buddy~ thanks man. As much I enjoyed bugging you I enjoyed working with you. About the reel I did, you are so right. Why didn't I think about that shot! A person looking outside from inside and the whale close up lookin at the person from outside. I think it would've been a beautiful shot. escpeially with a beautiful actor. not actress but an actor. I will keep that in mind if I decide to work more on this project. thanks for the great idea. I hope I would do fine in the army coming back in one piece.. breath attached with it. I will go find u for a job so u better be prepared for it. Take care buddy and Good luck. ;)

Sherif.Nagib
10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
This is just beautiful, there's a sweet psychedelic feel to it.. and man do I miss vancouver and walking down howe st.!:love:

I'm sorry if someone's already asked this but I couldn't go through all the replies, did you shoot video for shot B, or is it a stitched image ?

anyways, gr8 work :thumbsup:

sherif 3d54 :beer:

christopr
10-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Well done Taeyoung! Except for the fact that whales can't fly. I mean c'mon, maybe a little more research at the Vancouver Aquarium next time OK? Remember what Paul used to say. Reference reference reference. Oh and something about shizzle. ;)

Good luck and keep in touch so we can try and hook you up after your tour of duty!

nessus
10-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Well done Taeyoung! Except for the fact that whales can't fly. I mean c'mon, maybe a little more research at the Vancouver Aquarium next time OK? Remember what Paul used to say. Reference reference reference. Oh and something about shizzle. ;)

Good luck and keep in touch so we can try and hook you up after your tour of duty!

cool website you got there! i like it very much

nikkons
10-10-2006, 03:56 AM
As everyone said impressive, awesome
question: why did you include the spider.?
for me instead of adding, it takes away.? impressive gap between the first part and the second.

omega3d
10-10-2006, 04:03 AM
My name is Jonathan Reyes and here is a la reel for RTI.

http://pinnacle3d.com/portfolio/DemoReel2006.mov

Hope you guys like it. Crits are always welcome!

omega3d
10-10-2006, 04:03 AM
My bad, i thought i hit new thread.. sorry bout that

Great stuff though!!!

webinteractions
10-10-2006, 12:57 PM
i apologise if you have mentioned it but which apps did you use in the production of this amazing film?

p0rcupine
10-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Sherif.Nagib, glad you like my stuff. thanks. I had shot B shot with the video camera, not a stitched image. and no, noone asked that question before so don't worry about it ;) many cool stuff came from 3d54.. which one is urs? Any chance to see ur stuff?

christopr, reference reference reference. just about to forget that phrase you just come to me and have to remind me... thanks a lot dude :S anyway.. yeah I think ur right.. I gotta do more research.. what was I thinking? maybe too much day dreaming. hehehe. all those researching at the Vancouver library wasted :'(

nikkons, wow you are the first person who told me that? You think it just lowers the quality of my reel? Thanks for your honesty.. you might be right... After all no one said anything about the spider piece hehehe...

omega3d, ok... hahaha

webinteractions, I used Maya, Z Brush, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere. Thank you.

sundon
10-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Awsome job taeyoung. I just love the concept and flawless visual.
One of my classmates personally wanted to tell you that she really enjoyed it, but....
sadly you are in Korea eh?
Good luck with military service and see you again someday.

klumzygerl
10-17-2006, 03:15 AM
That is such an amazing reel :scream: ! Short and sweet. I love the whale sooo much! It looks like a real one! I can't beleve it took so many layers to put that together. We take it for granted that its so simple, but it's not! Beautiful work Taeyoung! :deal:

Klumzygerl

som3d59
10-17-2006, 08:05 AM
I love this since I'm in term 3. The concept is so cool and remind me of a manga. My friend also love it and she really want to tell you how beautiful it is in the grad ceremony but you are not there. So we just gonna tell you now that "it's awesome".

Please keep doing great stuff for our sake, thank you :love:

Yuko
10-22-2006, 03:54 AM
I love this since I'm in term 3. The concept is so cool and remind me of a manga. My friend also love it and she really want to tell you how beautiful it is in the grad ceremony but you are not there. So we just gonna tell you now that "it's awesome".

Please keep doing great stuff for our sake, thank you :love:

And I am the one Som mentioned. I didn't get any chance to tell you congratulations. Your piece is really, really AMAZING. I can't believe you did it within such a short period of time. can't wait to see your next stuff!

Cheers!

p0rcupine
10-25-2006, 02:58 PM
sundon, thanks donghyung for enjoying my work. I check out ur reel too.. pretty sweet work u've done there. good job. well yeah.. i hope to see u out in the field in near future. good luck.

klumzygerl, good to hear from u. i am glad u liked it. I also like frogs but i prefer tortoises. ;) I hope we can work together someday. I really do, it would be awesome. good luck Jen and take care.

som3d59, I guess u r from 3d59 eh? hehe.. I miss Vancouver so much. such a beautiful city.. well.. except the winter time lol. yeah it's too bad it couldn't make it to the screening, I was far far away... still am.... well thanks for appreciating my reel and good luck to u too

Yuko, oh you are the one people talked about. nice to meet it and thank you very much. It means a lot to me to hear people really enjoying and appreciating my work as I spent so much time and energy to make this piece work. If I wasn't in Vancouver I don't think i could've came up with the idea in the first place. such a nice place isn't it. well.. too much blah blah blah.. thanks agian and hope we can see each other and talk about CG stuff in person someday. Good luck.

Constructive
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
If I wasn't in Vancouver I don't think i could've came up with the idea in the first place. such a nice place isn't it.

Hello, I liked your piece, lots of layers for 7 plus months of work. Nicely done figuring out all the layers.

I wonder if you used some of the other flying whales/fish references to inspire or help you?

Like the audi commercial of people driving fish through a city:
http://www.framestore-cfc.com/commercials/audi_fish/index.html

or the Rythm & Hues shorts of the 2 killer whales flying through the country side (if you play their animal quicktime demo it's about 1/2 way through it):
http://www.rhythm.com/commercials/index.shtml

NickCH
10-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Some really nice stuff here, you've really made the whole thing feel majestic. Congrats and best of luck!

p0rcupine
10-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Constructive, oh yes! I forgot to mention it. My inspiration was from the Audi commercial from Framestore CFC like you mentioned. Such a well art directed, well comped, well done commercial isn't it... I loved it so much. Repect to those people who worked on it for sure. However, Rythm & Hues shorts for marine land was released after I started working on my piece. I was so shocked because I know they will do such a great job, hard to compete with their quality... so it wasn't one of the inspirations I had although it was a good reference. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

NickCH, thank you :)

Manter
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
That was absolutely amazing! You will not have problems finding a job!

TehYeh
10-29-2006, 07:29 PM
This is my first time viewing this, and that is a superb render of the whale!
shot 1 was what sold me, however shot 2 has no shadow...? but its your artistic licence I suppose?

Anyways good job!

cgbox2006
11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
:) nice work . 4 stars...

p0rcupine
12-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Manter, thanks for kind words. glad u liked it.

TehYeh, Hey man glad u liked my renders. however about the 2nd shot, YES you are right, I forgot to turn on the shadow at the end. How stupid of me :( I will make sure to turn it on next time I render it again. btw your work was very nice. Well done.

cgbox2006, woo I always say no to starts. Thanks buddy.

dutchtilt
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I think what you did was well done---however, i would have liked to have seen a LOT more. Not that quantity holds sway over quality---if you could do this with one shot of the whale and one reflection of the whale...lets push it to see what else we could get. I think this shows a skill set very well, but might not be as broad as one would hope for. I would have liked to see you try a shot that might have really featured the detail of the shader/lighting as well as pump up the animation.

I am sure this reel is more of an afterthought at this point---i am sure you have moved on to other endevours---so i say, congrats on a great vfs-vfx reel and good luck to you~

By the way, well done on the music. Sigur Ros is solid. They must have made you change out that for some random animation music for the vfs dvd no?

overall, job well done~

BrandonDude
12-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Sweet I like it.:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2006, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.