PDA

View Full Version : Do you use A:M?

Natess44
01-31-2003, 11:26 PM
I was just wondering how many people on this list actually use A:M on this list or might if they fix the bugs.

JTalbotski
02-01-2003, 12:39 AM
I use it, but very infrequently now. I would use it a lot more if it was OSX native (yes, I'm harping on THAT again). And if it had a decent hair system (yes, THAT again, too). I'm not as angry as some users are. But I'm very discouraged and frustrated with the lack of progress on anything I want to see get better. There's nothing in v10 that I really want enough to upgrade. Even a few less crashes isn't a big deal to me. It's not the money, I could buy any 3D program. It's not spite, Hash won't miss my $99. I want to see the things I've been waiting for to be put in the program. And with the announcement of an OSX version by the end of the year MAYBE(!), I figure this year I'll skip the upgrade. I already paid $99 and with v9 I got a taste of what A:M might become. But that's all I got. Now they have to DO in v10 what they said they were going to do in v9. I'm trying to be hopeful they will succeed. I don't want to be forced to use another program because Hash can't get it done.

Jim

Natess44
02-01-2003, 01:18 AM
I agree. They have made empty promises and have sold us v9 owners a peice of junk. I'm going to upgrade anyways but I'm going to wait untill v10.5 is out. If that and all the other versions that they make within a years time are still junk, then I won't buy from them again. I'll move to lightwave or something that works!

HellBorn
02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Can't answer that question:
Because they have to fix minimum two things before I pay another $99 to run a new version.

So before I even consider to do it both the creasing and the bugs has to be gone!

Natess44
02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by JTalbotski
I use it, but very infrequently now. I would use it a lot more if it was OSX native (yes, I'm harping on THAT again). And if it had a decent hair system (yes, THAT again, too). I'm not as angry as some users are. But I'm very discouraged and frustrated with the lack of progress on anything I want to see get better. There's nothing in v10 that I really want enough to upgrade. Even a few less crashes isn't a big deal to me. It's not the money, I could buy any 3D program. It's not spite, Hash won't miss my $99. I want to see the things I've been waiting for to be put in the program. And with the announcement of an OSX version by the end of the year MAYBE(!), I figure this year I'll skip the upgrade. I already paid $99 and with v9 I got a taste of what A:M might become. But that's all I got. Now they have to DO in v10 what they said they were going to do in v9. I'm trying to be hopeful they will succeed. I don't want to be forced to use another program because Hash can't get it done.

Jim
Well this is what has is doing for version 10.5 and it's in there alpha.
"Programming effort at Hash is divided into three categories: refinement of Version 10 Release (50%), Macintosh OSX port (40%), and research (10%). As is our strategy, 10.5 Alpha contains changes deemed too risky (stability wise) to put into10 Release. (Simple changes are put into both code bases).

In 10.5 Alpha the renderer has been changed so that with “Antialias” “Off”, a simple point-sampled, z-buffer renderer is used. The point-sampler can also use “multipass”, which renders each frame multiple times (for antialiasing), with slightly different camera positions (for depth of field), at incremental time steps (for motion blur), and the lights are jittered (for area lighting and penumbral shadows). However, it will require many passes (64) to achieve the same edge softness as “Antialias” which uses a more efficient a-buffer, so “Antialias” “On” will be much faster (6 to 20 times)."

daft
02-07-2003, 08:22 AM
I don´t use A:M so much today, since I work with Max and Maya. I would like to use A:M more. The fact is, That I am much faster to model things in polys than Hash splines and things look better with polys. Some may love those five point patches, I hate them. Things looks like crap when I use them. Hash spline are a tweaking hell. I get even better look with the spline system in Max(surface tools). Only thing a love about A:M is there animation setup (it´s rocks). I have v8.5 and got some crappy example of v9, and won´t upgrade before the app becomes a good working 3Dapp todays standard.

I want A:M to succeed and become that app I want to work with. But it seems to me that Hash likes being on the sideline.

dragonfollower
02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
I would still use it, but I have decided to get serious with 3D. This means learning a program that I can get a job with. For me this is Lightwave. I miss the ease in which you can animate characters in AM, but I don't miss the modeling, crashes and other things. I used to things patches were awesome. BUt once I figured out how SubD's worked, I was hooked.

-bRiAn

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.