PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Arts hiring boom

mrZack
02-01-2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.careerjournal.com/salaries/industries/computers/20020903-tran.html

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/bestcompanies/snapshot/0,15154,91,00.html

also, NBA live 2003 is by far one of the worst basketball game ever made.

:annoyed:

Sega Rules.

goosh
02-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by mrZack

also, NBA live 2003 is by far one of the worst basketball game ever made.

Sega Rules.

Not a great thing to say if you are looking to be hired by EA ;)

G

aazimkhan
02-02-2003, 06:22 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]also, NBA live 2003 is by far one of the worst basketball game ever made.

Sega Rules. [/B][/QUOTE]

hehe:)

cityhunter
02-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah. I can see that EA would hire you right away!:D

Stephen Vyas
02-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Just a word to the wise, be careful to what you say. The 3d community is a tight one and you never know whom your affending.

Cheers,
Steve

noisewar
02-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Because of course EA is the most friendiliest cuddliest of companies and have done no wrong to any of their employee and the work conditions there are perfect...

Or just say what you want cuz they aren't gonna care.

wgreenlee1
02-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Shoot...theyll probrably hire mrZack to fix it(NBA)....never know.

beej
02-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Stephen Vyas
Just a word to the wise, be careful to what you say. The 3d community is a tight one and you never know whom your affending.

Cheers,
Steve

...funny you should say that. i know that goosh works for ea. heh.

Joviex
02-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Stephen Vyas

Cheers,
Steve

Especially since things are bigger than they seem. Going ahead and offending EA could mean you offend the parent company Vivendi Universalis. This means no Universal Studios or Blizzard gigs, or viacom, or etc etc.... they are huge :) of course that is slightly outlandish, but entirely possible depending on whom you piss off.

dmthurman
02-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Of course a company offended by a comment "Worst basketball game ever" isn't a company worth working for.....A good employer is always on the look out for people a bit cocksure and think the can do better. Especially if they can....This is only one employer's opinion...
D.T.

mark_wilkins
02-03-2003, 02:39 AM
I'd rather hire the person with a critical viewpoint who knows what they'd want to do better (and is excited about doing it.)

Sweeping negative comments about a product that my company had worked on would tell me that a candidate hadn't looked at the product long enough to see what might be good about it, and might not be very excited about working on making future products better because of his or her disdain.

Also, people who only see black and white, not shades of gray, can be tough to work with in general.

I'm not saying anything about the original poster, btw... perhaps if I'd played the game in question I'd say the same thing, but I haven't. :D

-- Mark

CENOBITE
02-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Good point. Being a team player is great and all...and we all have opinions about a game... but if you know the game totally stinks, somtimes keeping your mouth shut can be difficult. Down the way, if you were the only one pointing out the problems and the game takes a dive... well, you might just gain some 'I told you so' credibility. But in the long run, it's just a job and you can only do your best.

mrZack
02-03-2003, 06:56 AM
I used to be a total EA sports fan.... until Live 2003 came out.
no offense to the artists or programmers, but the game design is terrible.

let me just say this, i played as the Sacramento Kings on hard mode in simulation mode, and the Lakers scorched me for 48 points in 9 minutes of play.
EA sports, it aint in the game.

This is no simulation game. This is an insult to my intelligence. playing defense is impossible in that game, and setting a half court game post up is also impossible.
That game is nothing but fast breaks. they should change the title to FAST BREAks 2003.

madden 2003 suffers many problems too. bad graphics compared to sega, their heads are too large, and the animation is soooooo WEAK.

The truth is, EA probably spends as much money if not more on marketing its sports games than it does in the R and D department.

:thumbsdow

mark_wilkins
02-03-2003, 08:29 AM
One thing I'll say for EA is that they're putting a LOT of effort into pushing their R&D farther these days. The payoff may not be fully evident for a couple of years yet, but they're making a huge effort to bring in new creative talent and make the best of it. It's obvious from what they've been doing that they have not been resting on their laurels, but it's a big ship and will take time to turn, if you know what I mean.

-- Mark

mrZack
02-03-2003, 07:03 PM
that explains why SEGA, just 4-5(dreamcast) years into the sports competition is kicking EA's a$$ in quality.

while EA has been around forever since the early 90s making sports titles.

:drool:

WillRyan
02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
either way, it doesn't seem to matter to gamers: just ask Peter Moore. The head of Sega of America was banking on that huge 'quality' gap between NFL 2K3 and Madden. It was definitely there, but no one seemed to care. After emptying nearly all of SOA's '03 budget on adverts for 2K3, Sega only sold about 350,000 units. they were expecting upwards of 2 milion! And now Mr. Moore is no longer under the employ of Sega.

Why?

Because Madden is THE brand of videogames. No matter its percieved quality or lack there of. Everyday gamers know and trust EA, and won't buy otherwise. they don't care if the graphics are a bit better, or even if they can play online. EA has 'em hooked, and 30 million bucks couldn't shake them.

-WillRyan

mrZack
02-06-2003, 03:39 AM
yeah WillRyan, i totally agree with you.

cuz i was one of those sheeps that trusted nothing cept for EA. i automatically assumed EA sports was and always will be the BEST.

but after playing 2k titles, i was wrong. and i think people/gamers like me are realizing that also. slowly but surely.

if you ask any basketball fan thats into basketball video games and critics alike, they'll tell you 2k2 was the best bbal video game in 2002.

i think it just takes time. unless EA cleans up its garbage live title, people will realize sega is the better video game.

:deal:

WillRyan
02-06-2003, 06:15 AM
The real question is whether or not Sega has the 'time' left in them to do it. Supposedly the head of Sega of Japan will be overseeing SOA for the time being, and he has made it publicly aware that selling off Visual Concepts is high on his agenda. Which means either a much smaller marketing budget, or Microsoft purchasing them. Which may be a good thing, but would in turn probably kill off NFL Fever and NBA Inside Drive. Both of those games have improved incredibly, have stunning graphics, and deserve a shot at a few more iterations in order to make their mark on sports games.

I just like knowing that some hungry new blood has had the opportunity to show that the 'EA' way doesn't have to be the ONLY way. Competition is good for all. Even EA.

-WillRyan

Gentle Fury
02-06-2003, 06:37 AM
i dont really see why anyone at ea would be offended with a fan saying a game is bad...............i think it would be good to have someone that isnt a "yes" man..........if one person thinks a game sux that means there are plenty more that also think this....it should just be incentive to fix the problems......which he was more than willing to explain what he felt were the problems.

On that same note im sure there are plenty of people out there that think the game is great....and thats wonderful....but remember, everyones opinion matters.....if you put a little bit of what people like in and take out what people dont like, you will get a broader user base :)

If you were in an interview with EA and the interviewer asked.....what did you think of our last game....and you said.....OH it was great.

you just lost some points.

BUT, if you said, well i liked it, BUT, i found these things flawed about it........you will score some major points....i dont think the interviewer would be offended at all, but impressed that you really paid attention to what you were playing....that comes in handed on a devolopement team! (playtesting is really important!)

But, of course, you can never please everyone!!!

mark_wilkins
02-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Well, there's "This game really doesn't work, and here's why" which is the kind of thing that I've said in an interview (and gotten the job.) On the other hand, there's "Man, this thing's a piece of sh:shame: and whoever cooked it up was a moron." Then there's stuff in between.

-- Mark

Stephen Vyas
02-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Gentle Fury

BUT, if you said, well i liked it, BUT, i found these things flawed about it........you will score some major points....i dont think the interviewer would be offended at all, but impressed that you really paid attention to what you were playing....that comes in handed on a devolopement team! (playtesting is really important!)

But, of course, you can never please everyone!!!

Let me clarify the reason I said becareful what you say, was because he just said it sucks without giving any reasons... Sure everyone has an opinion, though, I'd rather hear the reasons more than just a blank statement... Which he's now elaborated on the details which needed work such as posting up and playing defense... Now it makes sense..

Cheers,
Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.