PDA

View Full Version : Extending the function curve editor, tinting backgrounds

tredeger
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I posted this in the Maya forum as I am working on a Maya plug-in that could really leverage this functionality. I LOVE XSI though and was wondering if this feature might be possible in my favorite app:

Would the following be possible to code through the API?

I would like to add some functionality to the graph editor, namely the ability to tint the background based on curve values. For instance, you could be looking at some SRT XYZ curves and a blendWeight curve. The SRT curves are smoothly interpolating all over the place. The blend has values between 0 and 1. It would be really really cool if you could tag the blendWeight curve and the set the graph editor to tint the background according to it's value. For instance, it would be light blue when the value is 1, light pink when the value is 0, and a gradient between the two for values inbetween. Or maybe a gradient between 2 other values so it is easy to see the 1 and 0 values clearly. This would let the animator easily see when the animation curves are the primary influence and when they are blended out to no effect. It would also make it trivial to spot problems like the curves drifting out of alignment with each other.

Another example of where this would be useful: If a particular curve value should never fall below a certain threshold (a foot passing beneath a ground plane for example), you could tag the value and set the GE to highlight the background red whenever the condition obtains.

So I'm wondering (pretty sure I know the answer), can this be done through a plugin?

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.