PDA

View Full Version : Stability of XSI 64-bit on XP-64?

pming
09-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Hiya.

Well, I might finally be ready to upgrade to XSI 5. I'm going with Essentials if/when I do (need more than Fnd, less than Adv)...and I'm seriously considering getting the 64-bit version for Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

Anyway, to anyone who has been using or who has decent experience with XP 64-bit and the 64-bit version of XSI....how has it been, stability wise? I heard that the Linux version is a bit finicky, but haven't really heard much about the XP 64-bit side of things. Any insights there guys?

tredeger
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
If you're running XP64, you can install both the x64 and x32 versions of the app (you get both). So if you do encounter issues, you can revert till you get your issue sorted out. With 5.0, there was a problem with x64 detecting your audio hardware, so when I needed to do dialogue stuff, I used the x32 version. (This bug was squashed with 5.1)

x64 just takes advantage of the ability to address larger chunks of memory. You get better performance when it can do this, but you don't get increased functionality. So you'll be good either way and you get the ability to be flexible. Hope this helps.

pming
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Hiya.

Thanks for the reply. I'm running the 180-day trial of XP64...but I'm trying to buy a full copy (which is turning out to be rather difficult...seems MS doesn't want anyone buying XP64...probably because they want everyone to switch to Vista when it comes out). So far, eBay is the only place I've found packaged, full versions. One of these days I'll win a bid! :)

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm going for a job inteview tonight for an animator job on a kids TV show (a few half-hour episodes; about a native canadian story involving a kid, some fire, and Raven). They have an option to work from home (as opposed to me having to relocate down to Edmonton, AB), so I'd have to upgrade my XSI (still running v4). I just wanted to know if the Ess 64-bit version was stable enough, or if there were any wierd show-stopper bugs (like that audio one you mentioned; at least it's fixed now :) ).

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.