PDA

View Full Version : Any LW ppl using XSI, talk about migratition

Julez4001
03-19-2002, 04:50 AM
Okay.

I been trying to get used to XSI interface, its a great program.

But what I am finding difficult in migrating is some of the tools.

In LW, we had

- drag tool ??

-smoothshift (its poly mode, duplicate)

- xsi Lasso selection is not as smooth as LW

anyone else.

machuc
03-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Julez, the hotkey M does the same thing as drag in Lightwave, that-s the fastest way to "move" individual points in XSI but u can also use the T key wich will put u in "Tag mode"... u can then select group of points (or 1 at a time) and use the transformation tools to modify them.

To accomplish smoothshift u have to select polys, either in normal mode (Y key) or raycast mode (U key) and then hit CTRL-D to duplicate those polys and then move/rotate/scale them as u want.

ohh! and you can manipulate "edges" in XSI (if u didn-t know)... the hotkeys are:
normal selection (E key)
raycast selection (I key)

I don-t use the lasso tool normally, but I just tested it and it worked fine, what vid card do u have? maybe it-s a refresh prob. or... what do u mean it-s not so smooth as LW?

If u have other questions don-t hesitate to ask :)

ciao.

Julez4001
03-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Kool. Thanks. Yeah
I just have a hard time snagging the back faces of objects I lasso. It either gets when i don't or don't when I wanna.

How do you mirror?

machuc
03-19-2002, 09:40 AM
Heya Julez, you can find a "mirror" option in the Model or Animate module called "Duplicate Symmetry":

Model or Animate | Create - Skeleton - Duplicate Symmetry

just one thing... XSI's "Duplicate Symmetry" won't merge ur result as lightwave's mirror does, so u have to merge both pieces by urself.

ciao!

Julez4001
03-19-2002, 11:35 AM
So when you model, do you work in symmetry mode.
How do you get around the welding the seam in the middle.
I really don't depend on symmetry in Lw so this will be a big test in XSI. oh well.

Thanks man..you've been a big help.

Oh yeah....

Anyway to FORCE o 'orbit" to be ALT key.
I tried re mapping it but ALT key is inavailable..is there a ready why

I keep the UVmapper programhandy and XSI wavefront export tool near by. For that quick jump to LW.

butterfly_fx
03-19-2002, 05:03 PM
press S to go in zoom pan dolly mode and rotate pan zoom in out with the 3 mousebuttons

If you're using a tool and want to rotate around the model if you press and release S you'll loose you previous tool. You have to stay pressed on S rotate/pan/zoom and when finished then only release the S key...it will come back to your tool (XSI have suprakeys...1 state when you press / release and 1 when you stay pressed).

Hope it helps.

Edit: be sure to read the documetation all is written there :D

raffael3d
03-19-2002, 07:27 PM
thanks, it was also very helpful for me, because I also switch from LW to XSI and Soft 3D
To the guy who used lightwave. I loved the "s" suprakey in XSI and wanted to change the ALT key in Lightwave, I even asked the support and they had to admit, that it is not possible to change it (!)

raffael3d
03-19-2002, 07:31 PM
I was wondering if in XSI something like a "bandsaw" tool existed. the only solution I have fond so far is "local subdivison, but this does already too much. It doesn't only draw an edge if actually does also draw on the other axis and that's not helpful.

Julez4001
03-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Yeah I read the docs and I knew about the Supra key. I got may hands the Training disc that was handed at a recent XSI seminar, the guy said this will be the 2nd disc in the experience package.

What I am finding helpful is the import/export wavefront plugin while it will be anti-productive once the model is finished and texturing begins, its really nice for a beginner.

machuc
03-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Heya, I'm glad I could help! :)

Julez: I-ve never worked with symmetry on, I just work in one half. But If you want to try that out, merge the two pieces together (Model - create - poly mesh - merge), then you have to apply a "Symmetry map" located on the "property" tab and then activate the "Sym" button located on the right menu (half way down.)

btw, when u merge objects u have a "tolerance" for welding points. But there are several ways to "weld" points/edges together (Weld Edges/Brigde Edges/etc.)

Raffael: I think there-s a script that simulates LW Bandsaw or is under development. But!... to split polys all u have to do is select the edges u want to split and then right click (over one of them), and select either "Subdivide Edges" or "Split Edges", both are very useful, just try-em out :) or just "Add Edge" to have more control over how u split the edges.

If u don-t see these options appear when u right click over the edges, it means ur in "Extended Component Selection". To deactivate it, go to the "Select" tab on the right menu, and it-s the last option, just uncheck it.

Hope this helps u out guys :)

ciao.

Julez4001
03-19-2002, 09:26 PM
My friend you are really helping me put.
Mondo thanks my friend.

What do you use XSI a lot for.
BGs
Characters
Machinery....

Have you heard of the HUGO project?

meloncully
03-20-2002, 06:22 AM
what is symmetry mode in lightwave?

________
meloncully

Julez4001
03-20-2002, 06:25 AM
Ability to do what you are doing on one side of a object on another. When modeling character -- you are able to do right and left arm the same time.

switch at the bottom of screen

raffael3d
03-22-2002, 03:20 AM
I think the modeler in LW is better, but the animation in Softimage are far beyond of LW animation tools.

machuc
03-22-2002, 03:49 AM
Glad I could help Julez :)

I haven-t heard about the HUGO project, what is it? DAG is in charge? DAG, u mean, the 3D company in the UK?

keep us posted!

ciao.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.