PDA

View Full Version : Creature - Dusk Hunter - WIP

vorge
09-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey everyone, was looking for a little feedback on my little monster I have been cooking up. It's nowhere near finished so, would anyone like to take a crack at it? :) thanks.

Concept:
http://www.godofshadows.com/wip/duskhunter_concept.jpg

Zbrushings:
http://www.godofshadows.com/wip/duskrender.jpg

Baked Normals:
http://www.godofshadows.com/wip/dusk_wip004.jpg

Thanks for the input!

dudethedreamer
09-27-2006, 09:50 AM
the model looks arlight but the consept is looking badass

benclark
09-27-2006, 02:54 PM
the normal map is working nicely, especially on the arms. did you use Zmapper?

FredIsBetterThanYou
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I really dig the concept art.

I know this isn't very helpful now, but I think your concept was stronger.. the three thick blunted head tentacles, the boney head plates and joint extensions, the symmetry of the claws and the general shape of the head were more fantasy monster-ish. The models below it have a more alien and froggish feel. The claws seem awkward. The tentacles seem more like antennae. The concept seemed hulking and the model looks more lithe.

Hope this is helpful.

BenEoff
09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I'd have to agree with Fred here. They look look like two different beasts. The 3d one looks like something the concepted beast would eat for breakfast. That concept is hulking and menacing, he's got these bone elements that haven't been carried over into 3d. It just seems like maybe you didn't push yourself enough to be true to the concept. I think the concept is worth spending as much time as you need to nail it down, would be a great 3d beasty. Something that helps me to not lose the vision of the idea is to make sure that my base mesh maintains the feeling of what you want to project. Don't hesitate to build your base mesh in the pose of the concept art, or close to it if you have to keep symmetry. I don't mean any of this to seem harsh, but I'd just love to see THAT concept in 3d.

ts-falcon
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
The concept is awesome, very solid feeling to the creature, but the 3d model seems very light, not as powerful. id try bulking it up a bit more, as well as sticking to the concept more. especially when it comes to the head. also the silhouette of the low poly seems rather chunky. try to smooth it out as much as possible, especially at the tops of the arm ridges.

revelli
09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
i like it, your concept and your superb details on it are just greate
keep it up

utchamp
09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
The concept looks really hulking and beasty and the concept looks...... okay okay okay we have heard enough about that now.

The shoulder blades stick way up over the back which lessens the stature of the moster.
The bone parts on the shoulder blades need to be reworked because in the concept they stick straight up out of the shoulders [at least in the view from here] and in the model they are rounded and not blocky at all.... they need to be blocky. The claws should all be the same size as it LOOKS in the concept because now they look weird. And also the antanne need to be thicker way thicker like quadruple the size seriously quadruple it and post it quadrupled. In the concept the bottom of the jaw comes up into the chin [ that is confusing so here we go at an explination:: The neck skin and muscle dip down from the bottom jaw and connect into the body below the chin].... not so in the model. Okay and the last major thing that i can see right now is that the bone on the top of his nose and forhead is coming down and off his head and in the model it is like pushed up over her head..... and it needs changed.

Hope this helped and i am going just off of the concept because you haven't said you wanted anything different from the concept

i hope this helps

vorge
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
.Thanks for the feedback folks. And to address the point everyone has brought up: heh...

The original idea for the monster was fantasy / demony. However, what the project called for was an alien creature. So, wanting to use my concept as a good base idea for the monster I went into zbrush and changed it around so that it would be more of a spider/lithe creature that could walk on ceilings and crawl around walls, that sort of thing. So I slimmed him down and made it more of a stalking beast than a hulking beast.

And about the tentacles, they are placeholders at the moment, I agree that they are way too skinny and look like antennae. I want to thicken those up and plug them into the little divits that I made on the base of the neck.

And no, I didn't use Zmapper. I used surface transfer in Maya.

I'm glad you all liked my concept :D

utchamp
09-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I still think that you should make another model that sticks closer to your concept [in your spare time] hah

Do you have a concept for the alien or are you just going to wing it?? it is extremely hard to crit w/o a concept.!!

psychojohno
09-27-2006, 10:17 PM
both look great but i think you should make both i would love to see the concept transfered exactly into 3d

keep up the good work :thumbsup:

vorge
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Okay yea, so everyone has been on my case about the concept being too deviated from. Sheez =( I guess spur-of-the-moment-changes aren't looked highly upon! Maybe I'll paint a new concept just for this one, or.. model another dog-beast! Hah! Anyways, big 'ol puppy love here is done.

And for my first normal mapped character I am very happy with the result! Thanks for the comments and crits all, I will be thinking of them for my next character!

http://www.godofshadows.com/3dmodels/duskhuntermini.gif

And the money shot...

http://www.godofshadows.com/3dmodels/duskhunterpresent.jpg

Comments and crits welcome! Hope you enjoy.

FredIsBetterThanYou
09-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Now, now Vorge. I didn't say no deviation allowed.. its just that the concept was REALLY good. But honestly the end product is REALLY good too. The texturing made a significant difference in the feel of the model (to me). I am told by professional modeller types that is often the case.

I am a programmer. I am Gary. I am not Fred.

vorge
09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I was just joking :x

But thanks :)

Neil
09-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Why is the mouth not actually cut open?
It's filled with black, or is that an error in your compositing?

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2006, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.