PDA

View Full Version : Lazy question 'bout Mograph and Expresso

barrymcw
09-27-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm a relatively basic C4d user. I use it in broadcast animation and am able to do simple modeling, painting & animation just fine. But, it's time that I up my skills.

I am just about to start a crash course on Expresso, with an eye to animations and creating relationships btw objects in motion. But a question pops into my head:

If I spend a bunch of time cranking on Expresso, then I upgrade to 9.6 and get Mograph, am I still going to need to know Expresso? Or am I going to do all that I just learned how to do in Expresso a completely new way?

This question is based only on what I've read/seen about Mograph. I get the sense that there's overlap btw Expresso and Mograph but I could be comepletely wrong.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Mylenium
09-27-2006, 05:06 AM
If I spend a bunch of time cranking on Expresso, then I upgrade to 9.6 and get Mograph, am I still going to need to know Expresso? Or am I going to do all that I just learned how to do in Expresso a completely new way?

Umm, you're confusing things. MoGraph is a module just like any other bringing with it a set of generators, deformers and other tools. It is no replacement for XPresso nor was it meant to be. Moreover, MoGraph itself is integrated into XPresso via its own nodes and relies on it for linking certain stuff as do the other modules (think of TP for instance, which is entirely based on nodes) and plugins. Other than that: Not sure why you would even think of not learning XPresso as it's useful for many things, regardless of what modules/plugins you use. Nobody expects you to become a programmer (because in most daily setups it's simply not needed) and understanding some basic principles common to all scripting/ programming languages shouldn't pose a problem or require an extreme learning effort.

Mylenium

barrymcw
09-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Ok, great, that all makes sense.

I wasn't sure that I correctly understood the relationship btw Expresso & Mograph and clearly they aren't the same.

As to your Thinking Particles comment, it is exactly because of a TP issue I was having today at work that I decided I needed to get stronger at Expresso.

Well, here I go, into the land of Expresso.

Cheers and thanks for the response.

AdamT
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Mylenium is right (of course :P), but I suspect that a lot of things you'd want to do with Xpresso could be done more quickly and more easily with MoGraph. But no one can say for sure without knowing more about your goals.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.