PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Modeling

kriscabrera
09-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Hey guys i am trying to learn how to model a bit with lathe tool in 3dsmax8, like Flower pots vase etc. do you guys know were i can get some good help with that thanks.

OpenDut
09-27-2006, 03:10 AM
I believe you create the profile first, like half of the vase outline (verticaly) using shapes and then apply a lathe modifier to the shape.

Just a guess though, I never did 3ds Max with lathe tool.

But that's the basic idea of how we did it in Blender.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/vase.jpg

Good luck. :D

newellteapot
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
a useful tip: play with the weight of teh vertices to achieve sharper angles
:)

kriscabrera
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks alot guys one more thing so you actually close the spline? Or do you close the splin were you want it to be open?? thanks

newellteapot
09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi! You don't need to close the spine if you don't want to, the lathe works anyway. For ezample, if you model a vase you might not need to see the interior and therefore you can leave the spline open there to save polies.

:)

OpenDut
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
No you don't have to close splines like monica has said.

If you look at my screen dump above, you'll see that I didn't close it because there's a gap at the base center of my vase.

It's not good to close your profile because you'll end up having duplets of vertices which is fine in Blender because we can just select all vertices and perform a "remove doubles" action, however I'm not too sure about 3ds Max and if I remember correctly, I had to select vertices to weld/merge together.

For the profile shape of the vase you're seeing in my screen dump above, I'm basically giving my vase a thickness. If you were to lathe a profile that's just the outer edge, then you'll get a thin mesh, with no thickness.

Here's an example with the left wine glass having a thickness while the right one doesn't:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/wineglass.jpg

kriscabrera
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
oh ok i understand now, yea if i close it i would have to do a bunch of welding in max, so yea now i understand. Thanks a million for the help i really appreciate it

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.