PDA

View Full Version : Square Wields its Power (Vows to Support Sony, kinda)

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Quote:
"Remarks from a high-level Square Enix executive affirm that the company is going to significantly support Sony in the next generation, “but not too much”—it doesn’t want Sony to be the “overwhelming winner.”"

>>LINK<< (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3875&Itemid=2)

-R

heavyness
09-27-2006, 12:57 AM
soooo... they're saying their neutral.

EnlightenedPixel
09-27-2006, 05:14 AM
soooo... they're saying their neutral.
I think they'll do More for Sony, but wont leave everyone else out of the loop... like how it is now essentialy.

Buexe
09-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Well, since Sony owns a significant amount of Square stock, it is no surprise that they will pay "special attention" to the PS3.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/098/098911p1.html

heavyness
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, since Sony owns a significant amount of Square stock, it is no surprise that they will pay "special attention" to the PS3.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/098/098911p1.html

that was back in 2001, and i wonders if that 18.6% stake shrank since the Square Enix merger.

Buexe
09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
that was back in 2001, and i wonders if that 18.6% stake shrank since the Square Enix merger.

good point, it seems to be that it`s "only" half of the original percentage now:

stock information (http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/stock/stockholder/index.html)

RuinedMessiah
09-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, regardless, there is no debating that having Square as a neutral party is a good thing just so long as that doesn't equate one console becoming a focus on the high profile titles. Right now, DS and PS3 seem to be the biggest profiled homes. DQ has yet to be formally announced but it has always gone to the console with the highest userbase. Only thing known at this point is that Yuji Horii is, in fact, working on the scenario.

Also, let's hope SE doesn't treat 360 as the action dumping ground. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a new Silpheed game but I hope that's merely the consequence of them wanting to spread the titles between the three instead of "360 is for action" kinds of thoughts.

tozz
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Well they have certainly begun delivering more interesting stuff to the "others". I'm thinking about buying a 360 for Project Sylpheed, just love those kind of games :D

Apoclypse
09-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Okay. Nevermind all that. When are we going to have another chrono game? Thats way more important. I was expecting this to happen a while back since square and enix first merged. After all they can have the original character designer designing the characters again, how much better can you get?

RuinedMessiah
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
And if you think that's salt in an open wound, the following titles were registered by Squaresoft way back shortly after Chrono Cross shipped. Leading many to believe the third game would deal directly with the consequences of *spoiler alert*

Schala and Magus finally reuniting.

Chrono Crisis
Chrono Break
Chrono Crash

There you have it. Three registered names for the sequel that have just been stewing while we sit and wait for it's eventual release. Seriously, it's getting as bad as Earthbound fans.

TumikSmacker
09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Last I heard Square was running out of money. Multi console = more money. Existance = money. lol

Unless Sony is willing to throw a crap load of money their way (which sony doesn't have alot of right now) then square will have to bring in some extra cash outside of sony.

xen_ninja
09-28-2006, 03:02 AM
Last I heard Square was running out of money. Multi console = more money. Existance = money. lol

Unless Sony is willing to throw a crap load of money their way (which sony doesn't have alot of right now) then square will have to bring in some extra cash outside of sony.
Yes we always hear stuff like that but we never see proof.

RuinedMessiah
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Yes we always hear stuff like that but we never see proof.

Good point. Multi console support is only viable so long as those consoles support your releases. If Square doesn't see a better return for their efforts on a Nintendo home console this time, they could shift back to Sony. But then again, who can really tell? The real answer on who supports who will become more apparent as the third year of the gen war ends.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.