PDA

View Full Version : Real Basic

nerrazzi
01-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Has anyone here used Real Basic to write plug-in's or stand alone software for Animation:Master? If so, was it fairly easy to learn and create software that works with A:M files?

Natess44
01-31-2003, 09:55 PM
I think that's what A:M was made on.

jayrtfm
02-01-2003, 12:50 AM
AM was not done in RealBasic, because if it had been, we probably wouldn't be bitchin 'bout stability :-)

I've been using RB for the past few weeks. Highly recommended. The next version will run on Windows for authoring, the current (4.5) will compile a windows app on a Mac.

Get the demo, it's free and will give you a decent feel for it. There's a few plugins that extend its graphics, crypto etc.

Get the OReilly book on RB. , it's well written. A neat thing that they're doing is the Safari Bookshelf. For $10/month you get a 5 "slot' ebookshelf, which gives you html access to most of their books

Actually, with the new 3D classes, jokeing about AM in RB may hit a bit too close to what's possible...

Natess44
02-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Correction I believe it was made on visual basic :)

nerrazzi
02-01-2003, 01:17 AM
jayrtfm, have you tried to create any plug-in's for A:M?

Vong
02-01-2003, 06:38 AM
Dan Shimmyo's SkyLight 2 program was coded on a Mac using Real Basic, and compiled for both Mac and Windows platforms. So it is possible to use it for external programs.

Writing plugins would entail converting the API to RB.

3DArtZ
02-01-2003, 03:49 PM
I've used realbasic for some of my personal utilities.... it can help you create apps to do stuff for you and AM.
Like skylight. Since am files are all text files you could easily, if you knew what you're doing, write your own - say - set upt machine. You would jus have to know what text does what in am's file.
I recommend realbasic for anyone that wants to be able to write thier own apps., but not have to learn pure c or c++

Mike Fitz

Ran13
02-01-2003, 04:43 PM
That reminds me of another "request" for Hash...I'll post over in the proper thread...but wouldn't be nice if they actually documented their formats?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.