PDA

View Full Version : The Curriculum? - Potential Team Project for Teaching the Basics of Art

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone would be interested in helping me put together a Curriculum Project where artists would compose Tutorials / Workshops that would help Beginners through the Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced stages of Digital and Traditional art.

Of course while the primary focus of any Tutorials should be related to the figure, I would like to collaborate on putting together Tutorials on basic things like basic shape shading, etc. - fundamental principles that apply across the board.

This is something that I'm interested in developing over time, it need not go forth all at once. There are always new people joining the forum, which is great, and it would be nice if new people could have a specific track to follow in order to better learn the basics of Traditional and Digital art.

I would be interested in really making this something polished and cohesive. Tutorials would have to be discussed and approved before being posted.

Any thoughts? Any willing contributors? All suggestions and ideas are most welcome here. :) I am interested only in people who have a genuine interest in helping out the community here.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Thomasphoenix
09-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Count me in Rebecca, I'll do something for Artistic Anatomy, Cross-Hatching, and Foreshortening!

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Count me in Rebecca, I'll do something for Artistic Anatomy, Cross-Hatching, and Foreshortening!
Awesome! One of the many people I definitely wanted to hear from! :) We'll just use this thread as an area for discussion / fleshing out Tutorials etc. I'd like to revise / revamp my old Tutorials and make them better / easier to follow.

The main suggestion I would have is to use a standard font and size of font for text - and to replicate any image text (text that appears on an image) in typed text in a post so that people can copy and paste key phrases should they wish to investigate them further.

I prefer a plain font like Verdana that everyone has in a reasonable size, depending on the graphic.

I'd be able to host Tutorial images but not videos.

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
I think the only standards we need are for size of image - 800 pix width x appropriate length at 72 dpi.

MechaHateChimp
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Im up for contributing as much as I can, although Im not really sure what I have to offer is something you would consider polished or cohesive. I tend work a little differently than most people and sometimes my workflow can be seen as a little "out there" at times, and this applies to both traditional and digital media. I know what works for me may not work for other people or even follow some of the fundamental guidelines, but if someone asks how I approach or make something, I'm always happy to share what I know. If they can take something from it and apply it to what they already know, then I'm stoked. Whether that can be seen as something that can help beginner's or not is purely subjective I guess.:shrug:

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Im up for contributing as much as I can, although Im not really sure what I have to offer is something you would consider polished or cohesive. I tend work a little differently than most people and sometimes my workflow can be seen as a little "out there" at times, and this applies to both traditional and digital media. I know what works for me may not work for other people or even follow some of the fundamental guidelines, but if someone asks how I approach or make something, I'm always happy to share what I know. If they can take something from it and apply it to what they already know, then I'm stoked. Whether that can be seen as something that can help beginner's or not is purely subjective I guess.:shrug:
Joel, I doubt that any of us work in a conventional manner :D - your contributions would be most welcome! :)

By polished and cohesive, I was really just thinking in terms of text standards, image size standards, etc. - though to be perfectly honest with you, as long as your content looks good unto itself, and is consistent, I probably don't care that much about everyone's tutorials looking the same. In fact, that might be rather boring now that I think about it. :)

This is just something in the beginning stages of thought. Any ideas and contributions you have are really welcome. :)

mazalo
09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
HI rebbeca

...exellent project... I would be glad to help ...the only problem could be my english... i mean the tehnical vocabulary- but on the other hand they say that the picture shows more than words..:) ..:)...

maz...

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
HI rebbeca

...exellent project... I would be glad to help ...the only problem could be my english... i mean the tehnical vocabulary- but on the other hand they say that the picture shows more than words..:) ..:)...

maz...
maz, it would be awesome to have your participation! I think you're right, pictures, especially for us highly visual people, are much more important. Your contribution would be much appreciated. :)

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
What I propose is that people post their Tutorials here first for discussion before posting the final versions to the Tutorial Forum. I may see if we can get a dedicated sub forum, but I don't know if we need that or not.

yencaray
09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey I may not be able to contribute to creating the tutorials and text but i just happen to be starting next week on human anatomy study and figure design...so i could be the tester/ student along the way in both traditional and digital....if you guys would like some insight to your tuts you'd be posting? that way you could get an outside look from someone who would be following along the path of your lessons! I'm in many ways i'm just a beginner so maybe i could help out somehow with this? if thats possible? i dunno how long it would take to create the entire group of lessons but i could follow along the way. but anyways just a thought.

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey I may not be able to contribute to creating the tutorials and text but i just happen to be starting next week on human anatomy study and figure design...so i could be the tester/ student along the way in both traditional and digital....if you guys would like some insight to your tuts you'd be posting? that way you could get an outside look from someone who would be following along the path of your lessons! I'm in many ways i'm just a beginner so maybe i could help out somehow with this? if thats possible? i dunno how long it would take to create the entire group of lessons but i could follow along the way. but anyways just a thought.
yencaray, thanks for this highly useful suggestion! I don't know how quickly things will or will not come together, but we will definitely look to you and to the community for feedback! :)

I think really everyone has something useful to contribute to this project.

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I also think it's great if different artists write Tutorials on the same topics.

It never hurts to have different points of view! Amongst all the artists that frequent this forum there is a huge wealth of information. It will be good to assemble it in an organized way. :)

Suggested Topics (all please feel free to make suggestions):
*Please note that copyrighted reference may not be used for demos.

-cube, cone, sphere, cylinder shading
-Digital
-Traditional

-Light and Shadow
-Digital
-Traditional

-Drawing Principles / Fundamentals / Basics
-Digital
-Traditional

-Gesture Drawing
-Digital
-Traditional

-Figurative Drawing
-Digital
-Traditional

-Figurative Painting
-Digital
-Traditional

-Anatomy / Artistic Anatomy
-Digital
-Traditional

-Head / Neck / Torso / Pelvis / Legs / Arms / Hands / Feet
-Digital
-Traditional

-Skeletal Features / Muscular Features / Surface Features
-Digital
-Traditional

-Perspective / Foreshortening of the Figure
-Digital
-Traditional

-Proportion
-Digital
-Traditional

-Drapery / Clothing
-Digital
-Traditional

-Animals
-Digital
-Traditional

-Color
-Digital
-Traditional

MechaHateChimp
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Some ideas: One thing we could do is create a request forum of sorts. That way someone can ask about how to specifically tackle an area they are having problems with and then a tutorial could be custom tailored for them. Or create a poll to vote for the next tutorial and then create a tutorial based on the most votes.

Elsie
09-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I think that's a great idea Becca, I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can.

*Goes to read what is needed in more detail*

:edit: Think I'll start a draft of something on actual rendering/blending, is that an advanced thing or a beginner? I'm not sure come to think of it...

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Some ideas: One thing we could do is create a request forum of sorts. That way someone can ask about how to specifically tackle an area they are having problems with and then a tutorial could be custom tailored for them. Or create a poll to vote for the next tutorial and then create a tutorial based on the most votes.
Joel, that's a good suggestion - there is this thread already to which a lot of good ideas have been posted:

Post Your Ideas for Tutorials and Workshops! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=341006)

I think that's a great idea Becca, I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can.
Ailsa, that's great to hear! I'm sure you will do some fab tuts! :)

MechaHateChimp
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Joel, that's a good suggestion - there is this thread already to which a lot of good ideas have been posted:

Post Your Ideas for Tutorials and Workshops! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=341006)

AAAhhhhhhh.... (note to self: search before posting!):curious:

gilgamesh828
09-26-2006, 10:59 PM
This couldn't come at a better time.... I just graduated from AnimationMentor.com and am really stoked to get back into my drawing / painting after such a long hiatus. There's no better way I've found to firm up your own knowledge and skills than to have to explain / demo to other people!

Let me know where i can best fit in... Happy and able to contribute!

Rebeccak
09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
This couldn't come at a better time.... I just graduated from AnimationMentor.com and am really stoked to get back into my drawing / painting after such a long hiatus. There's no better way I've found to firm up your own knowledge and skills than to have to explain / demo to other people!

Let me know where i can best fit in... Happy and able to contribute!
gilgamesh, that's great! Feel free to just create a Tutorial on any topic you choose - I posted several topic suggestions to the front of this thread, but my no means are they comprehensive - please just feel free to create a Tutorial on any subject and post it here for group review. I don't anticipate that there will be many changes necessary, it's just a way to get organized before going forward with this. Thanks for your willingness to help! :)

The only thing I would like to see is images which have the standard width of 800 pix max x appropriate length. Apart from that, just do the tutorial / s you would most like to! :)

You may want to create your tutorials at 300 dpi / print resolution and then resize for web posting. That way if someone wants a PDF they (or you, or I) can make one.

mazalo
09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
hi rebecca.

well unfortunaly I had a knee inyuri at soccer game on monday...and i broke all ligaments in my left knee ...so... I will try to make some good tutorials but I will need time :(

keep up this is an exellent project...:)

maz...

Rebeccak
09-27-2006, 08:57 AM
hi rebecca.

well unfortunaly I had a knee inyuri at soccer game on monday...and i broke all ligaments in my left knee ...so... I will try to make some good tutorials but I will need time :(

keep up this is an exellent project...:)

maz...
mazalo! I am so sorry to hear of your injury :sad: - my best to you, please get better soon!

Don't worry about the project...it will definitely be around whenever you feel up to it. Just focus on getting well! :)

mazalo
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
thanks rebecca ..:)

Elsie
09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Becca, here's a quick draft for the first of my mini-cloth-series thing - anybody have any input or shall I post it? :)

http://ailsamacpherson.com/cloth01.php

I guess it's categorised as a beginners tutorial, right?

Rebeccak
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Becca, here's a quick draft for the first of my mini-cloth-series thing - anybody have any input or shall I post it? :)

That's awesome, Ailsa, as we talked about, I think we should run your Tutorial as part of the next OFDW.

Thanks for the awesome tut!! It looks gorgeous. I don't think you need to specify whether this is for any particular level.

Cheers, :)

-Rebecca

gilgamesh828
09-28-2006, 11:05 PM
It's been stated that "copyrighted images can't be used in demos".... how about a drawing based on a copyrighted image (like one of Hong Ly's photos from his site where the source photo is NOT included as part of the demo)? And are images from the web gallery of art considered copyrighted images?

Thanks!

Rebeccak
09-28-2006, 11:59 PM
It's been stated that "copyrighted images can't be used in demos".... how about a drawing based on a copyrighted image (like one of Hong Ly's photos from his site where the source photo is NOT included as part of the demo)? And are images from the web gallery of art considered copyrighted images?

Thanks!
gilgamesh, the photos from www.characterdesigns.com are uncopyrighted, and can be used for whatever artistic purpose, including demos.

I'm also sure if you asked Ben Miller, our resident figure model, he would probably give you permission to use his images as well for demo purposes.

I don't know about wga images, my concern with them is that they don't have unique urls assigned to individual images, so I don't know if that means they don't want their images linked. I might recommend going with artrenewal.org instead, since they have a large database (the images are actually better / higher resolution in some cases) and assign unique urls to individual images.

Cheers, :)

-Rebecca

yencaray
09-29-2006, 06:00 PM

yes i think it's a beginners tutorial! I'm a beginer and i took it! it was simple straight forward and didn't give away to much info that ruined me learning a little but more of painting on the computer. I did at times kinda wonder exactly how to achieve a smooth gradation well but i guess thats something that comes with practise just like drawing or painting. i felt maybe you could include some more dealing with cloth painting but i see you are making another tut that will do just that so i look forward to taking that! Thanks for taking that time to put this together.

salmonmoose
09-30-2006, 01:12 PM
http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portal:Tutorials

;)

You can host images through here, articles can be added to, and edited by users, and people will be more likely to find information. (The search functionality is much better)

Rebeccak
10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Anton,

Part of the problem with people putting their tutorials on the Wiki is that they are discouraged from self-promoting - eg leaving links to their websites etc. Quite often people create tutorials so that people visit their websites - not to support CGS or the Wiki ;) - so is it okay for people to include links to their websites if they contribute to the Wiki a tutorial they originally intended for their website? I think it's only fair, and, you are far more likely to get contributions that way in terms of drawing / painting tutorials and the like.

I also would find it far more useful if I could include external links to the Workshop threads etc. to which specific tutorials relate. Information is nice but I find people are far more likely to use it in the context of a Workshop where there is actual interaction.

SpiritDreamer
10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
:thumbsup: Hi...Rebecca...:)
I have a few things in my anatomy thread, ..small tutorials, and some not so small, that might be useful for what your putting together...also a ton of advice and help given on other peoples threads over the course of the last couple of years...it's out there somewhere..LOL :scream:
If you think anything I have written and shown may be useful in this new venture, and you can figure out how to find and utalize it in some way.....GO FOR IT...:eek: :)
I would be glad to help in any way I can with this new idea of yours....am open to any and all suggestions...plenty of time on my hands as you already know..:) LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

shyamshriram
11-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Since im not as good as u ppl..can i post my any artwork's process? not sure if thats helpful for someone..if u have any other suggestion..pls let me know Rebecca..i just wanted to help u guys, this is a Great intiative :)

Rebeccak
11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Since im not as good as u ppl..
*wipes coffee from monitor* - Shyam, your contributions would be welcome in whatever form you want to make them. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.