PDA

View Full Version : Paper 3D style

lyngeled
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Hellooo

here is a short animation I want to show. Kindof paper 3D. It's a really fast way to get a story across without having to spend months on building 3d models(but it requires some drawing talent ;) )

Sorry for the swedish language... :)

http://www.tussilago.se/sommar.html

Klaus

Selpakius
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I loved your characters and the whole idea of having them 2d/3d! would you like to share your technique with us? :)
they reminded me of some turkish comic books I used to read when I was a kid. characters with wierd proportions and figures.
What are they talking about anyway?
nice job man:)

~S

TomR85
09-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Hehe, love the style.
Maybe write what the story is about for they how don't understand Swedish or Norwegian :)
Is it just a plane with painted characters on?

lyngeled
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey, it's quite simple to do the technique.
It's a simple mesh with bones on and some morphs for face.
The hardest part is to put build the mesh in a good way for your different facial expressions.. the mesh deforms the drawing. So mesh polygons has to be put in places where it changes the drawing good. Best is usually to follow the lines in the drawings. The eyelids, eyebrows and pupils are seperate objects.
Obviously the facial expressions become a bit limited, but still you can get quite far by just pulling the mesh around. For future animations I will probably have different textures for some shots.. so for example if someone gets really scared I could draw his hair standing up, I would simply change the texture per camera shot. Also the characters could be drawn in profile for some shots.. but I kinda like the cheesy simpleness of it. Its fun to see they are flat.

Look at the images and you get the basics..

Klaus

quikpick01
09-30-2006, 02:09 AM
I have a question. I was looking over this and was trying to do something similar, for a while. how did you get the shadows to work with the opacity maps. I cant seem to be able to get that to work.. I created the mesh and have the opactiy working but it still gives me a large square shadow.

sachin3d
09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
nice looking stuff man. liked the overall look.

Pumar
09-30-2006, 01:10 PM
i really like the look alot, it's a shame i don't understand what there saying, but still that didn't stop me from enjoying your stuff.

Hope to see some more in the future.

Baothebuff
09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I have a question. I was looking over this and was trying to do something similar, for a while. how did you get the shadows to work with the opacity maps. I cant seem to be able to get that to work.. I created the mesh and have the opactiy working but it still gives me a large square shadow.

You have to use raytraced shadows.

GoGoMango
10-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I really like your style, the animation was also very good too. Nice and original!

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2006, 08:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.