PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is matte painting?

meloncully
03-19-2002, 02:54 AM
i have wondered for a while now, what is matte painting?

________
meloncully

raffael3d
03-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Matte painiting was used very often in the films before the time of CG. Incredibly good artists painted the backgrounds for the movies. So many scenes were shot before a bluescreen and instead of CG (because it didn't existed yet) they painted in the background. I'm sure you have seen Star Wars or Indiana Jones. There they used a lot of matte paintings. If you are really interested in this topic I recommend you to read the books "the art of star wars". Probably you won't believe but in the "temple of doom" around 70% were matte paintings. When I was younger and didn't know CG I dind'r realize the paintings, but now I do and probably you too if you just concentrate on the background while a scene is playing. Especially in "return of the jedi" in the hangar scenes where Han Solo talks to the others you can cleary see in the background that it's not a hangar, but only a painting.
Nevertheless, those artist were amazing and did a very good job.

meloncully
03-29-2002, 08:58 PM

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.