PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: The ugly duckling and me!

Timefly
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Cgtalkers.

Thought i'd take a minute to introduce our upcoming feature, based on H. C. Andersens fairytale The Ugly Duckling, it was recently shown on Toronto Film Festival and was very well recieved there, and sold right away to the Canadian market, so that makes the number of countries it'll show 22. So here's some stills and links to the teaser and trailer. Hope you enjoy!

"It’s true that Hans Christian Andersen didn’t have a “Me” in his unforgettable fairytale, but this is more than just the story of the Ugly Duckling. This is a family film full of the Ugly Duckling’s exciting escapades as he was growing up.

Ratso, the rat, ends up being the only parent Ugly can find. You see, the poor rat just happened to be there when the little guy’s egg hatched and he found himself forced to take on the responsibility. So Ratso takes on both roles of mother and father leaving him a bit confused. Of course, it’s not like Ratso didn’t have enough on his plate already being on the run from a gang of nasty city rats and surrounded by hostile poultry in the inhospitable countryside. When his cousin, a comedian cat with a ventriloquist act who takes orders from his puppet, gets involved, life gets even stranger. And as Ugly develops - going through his awkward stage, meeting his first love, and experiencing the rollercoaster of emotions in growing up – the odd pair form a solid familial bond."

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill1.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill3.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill4.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill6.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill8.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill9.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill10.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill11.jpg

http://www.nerving.dk/ugly/uglyStill13.jpg

And you can find the trailer on the official homepages:

www.uglyandme.com (http://www.uglyandme.com/)
www.grimmeogmig.dk (http://www.grimmeogmig.dk/)

A bit more background information about the feature:

The Ugly Duckling and ME!

Release: 9/9 Toronto International Film Festival

6/10 DK GRAND PREMIER – Imperial Bio

Sold territories: Germany, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, France, Benelux, Brazil, Chezh Republic, Ex-Yugoslavia, Hungary, Indonesia, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, China, Thailand, Mexico, Canada, Korea

thematt
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM
It's not up to pixar standart but it looks nice and funny.I beleived it's not at all the same budget as big American feature so from that point of view I'd say well done.
I know everyone is gonna scream.."oh no not another talking animal movie" but it's not that bad.
cheers

Timefly
09-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey matt, thanks for the feedback. You're very right our budget was approximately $5.8 million, you can compare that to pixars finding nemo at $98 million, or the incredibles at $92 milion..or just hookwinked at $15 million.

Cheers

C

MarkusM
09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow. That's a really impressive feat... $ 5.8M.

I am one of those peeps who don't mind animal stories. What ever fits telling the story best is my way of looking at it. I think this story has some good potential. It's clearly recognizable from the original story, and has a new fresh twist on it. There's no other film medium than animation where you could tell this story (unless you try to do a liveaction photoreal animal thing, phew!).

The one thing that concerns me is the character design. I've seen a number of "low cost" productions featured in the last couple of years, and almost all of them have had less than appealing character design (this is of course extremely subjective opinion). Is there something I am missing here? When did low budget mean that you don't need good solid character design? My feeling is that having a low budget movie means that you have less involvement from non-creative in the making of the movie, giving the film makers the opportunity to make good design choices, even on a tight design budget. Maybe I should clarify, I don't think that good design has to be "expensive to make" design. I find some of the most appealing design in low cost/fast turnaround CG these days done in commericals or even student short films. Pierre Coffin's work always blows me away.

I hope the movie does well. I think it is important for the industry. Personally, I can't wait to see it.

Good luck!!

Markus

Papa Lazarou
09-26-2006, 08:26 PM
For $5.8 million it looks excellent. But I also didn't care for the designs. Some of them are pretty decent, but others are a little awkward. Like the duck with the boobs, and the version of Ugly where his wings attach halfway up his neck.

Best of luck to AFilm with this. Their 2d films have been pretty good.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey matt, thanks for the feedback. You're very right our budget was approximately $5.8 million, you can compare that to pixars finding nemo at $98 million, or the incredibles at $92 milion..or just hookwinked at $15 million.

Cheers

C

First off, I'd like to say that when it comes to movies I'm a cynical bastard. Good films these days are a rarity.

But I loved this trailer; I thought it was funny, had some great animation and some really cool snappy animation towards the end of the trailer. I really hope this get's a general release, because I'll definitely be catching this.

I'm looking forward to this more than Ratatouille, mostly because I don't like what Pixar do. I like the character designs in your film. I know someone remarked on them, but I think they are cool, but some people are just so used to seeing Pixar designs now that if they are in any way different, they subconciously think they are sub-par.

I think this film is going to be great and I hope it's as good as Ice Age (which is funnier than all Pixar Films combined IMO) and I hope this film brings you the same success that Ice Age brought to Blue Sky.

Also, well done for doing it for under 6 million! How can a film be this good when a film as UTTERLY SHOCKINGLY REVOLTING VOMITINGLY bad as Hoodwinked can cost 8 million more?

Timefly
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey Andreas, thanks for the positive feedback!

Ireland is on the list of countries its sold to, so you should be able to go see it there, once it opens.
As for Hoodwinked i could'nt agree more, all i envy that, is their budget:)

Cheers

C

BRUTICUS
09-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I thought he was supposed to be raised by ducks... Does he atleast still show up some ducks in the film?

Papa Lazarou
09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm looking forward to this more than Ratatouille, mostly because I don't like what Pixar do. I like the character designs in your film. I know someone remarked on them, but I think they are cool, but some people are just so used to seeing Pixar designs now that if they are in any way different, they subconciously think they are sub-par.

That's not the case at all, I'd have no problem with them going in a radically different style, but they appear to be going for a Pixaresque aesthetic. Even the central duckling character is strikingly similar to the bird characters in Pixar's 'For the Birds'. I don't mean to bash the designs, some of them are good, but others are a little uneven.

Oh and don't worry about Ratatouille being a Pixar film, it's a Brad Bird film. Should be a cut above.

syzygy
09-27-2006, 03:01 AM

Cheers

C

is that not slightly skewed by the fact that you already had props & character design from the tv series?

I think it looks great, just not sure if your estimates are entirely fair

Timefly
09-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey Russell, you have a point, as you can see from the avatar bit of my existence here, im a lighting/shading supervisor, so the exact specifics arent known to me, but its true that there must've been some "discount" via the tv-series. Still i doubt it would raise the budget a whole lot.

Bruticus: This film isnt the ugly duckling, its a freely retold story based on the original fairytale, so quite a bit of creative freedom is to be expected:).

Thanks for the replies guys!

Cheers

C

Breinmeester
09-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I've seen some images of this film before and the character design didn't appeal to me either. I can imagine it's very hard to distribute such a budget ni a fashion that allows character design to devellop enough. Also it seems you try to keep the render costs low and good renders can do a lot for character designs. The lowpoly models, lack of fur and feathers and dull dark colours threw me off.
Too bad because I like A. Film's productions a lot. The Astrix film is very nice and has excellent clean up and Terkel i Knibe is really funny and brilliant for such a budget.

syzygy
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Russell, you have a point, as you can see from the avatar bit of my existence here, im a lighting/shading supervisor, so the exact specifics arent known to me, but its true that there must've been some "discount" via the tv-series. Still i doubt it would raise the budget a whole lot.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for that. didn't want to sound like I was raining on the parade (even at double the cost you quoted it seems a great job)

did you work on both the movie and the series? I ask because there is a slightly richer feel to the movie frames than the tv series. was wondering if that is because of
1. different format (tv vs film) different result
2. different rendering techniques/software
3. more time for the film work
4. random
5. all of the above?

Timefly
09-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Heya Russell

The tv-series was animated and rendered in a studio in France called Duran, nice guys there too:)

We provided the sets, props and characters, and they did the rigging and rendering. The reason why the tv-series look very different is because its rendered in a game-engine:) The feature is all Mentalray Standalone. Duran did rigs, and animation for some sequences of the feature as well.

Cheers

C

syzygy
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
. The reason why the tv-series look very different is because its rendered in a game-engine

that could make a difference :D :D :D

thanks for the info

isoparmB
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey Andreas, thanks for the positive feedback!

Ireland is on the list of countries its sold to, so you should be able to go see it there, once it opens.
As for Hoodwinked i could'nt agree more, all i envy that, is their budget:)

Cheers

C

Not much to envy there I'm afraid. 15 million for Hoodwinked's budget? It felt more like 2 million. You should be envying the producers on the film. I suppose it seems cool to go bashing other films out there just becuase you can.

Congratulations on the team on The Ugly Duckling. From what I've seen from the screencaps it looks like you guys pulled some fine work, keep it up. :]

Timefly
09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
hey martin..thanks...

thats all i envy about hoodwinked..the budget, rest is "insert not so positive words here"..just to clear out any misunderstandings:)

C

Squash-n-Stretch
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh and don't worry about Ratatouille being a Pixar film, it's a Brad Bird film. Should be a cut above.

Can't say I liked the Incredibles, and I haven't seen The Iron Giant 'I know...'. I just never really understood why The incredibles went from being a superhero movie to a bond movie and back again. :shrug:

Kanga
09-28-2006, 04:56 AM
The designs are a little creepy and strange,... which I love! When the little fella is getting shaken around and he is wearing that deadpan face I had a fit!

Great stuff.

aghill
09-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi people.

I just wanted to say, that its really nice to see positive responses from the community.

The Ugly Duckling and Me isnt furry and displaced (and therefor not super expensive:)), but its got something else. Atleast thats what I think. Its cool to hear that people outthere are positive and like the stuff from the trailer etc. even though its not some highend production.

Breinmeester: I see where your going, yet I would give the movie a chance. I am convinced, that the average person watching animation movies really don't take 90% of the hard work of feathers, fur, flowing water etc etc into account. In the end its all about the story and characters that pay off. But then again, us people in the industry allways pops eyes at some amazing technical trick, and if thats the only thing a animated movie will give you, The ugly Duckling and Me prolly will let you down a bit.

Thanks for the nice comments

rasmusW
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
hey guys!

just wanted to congrats you on a job well-done. knowing some of the things you've been though, i'd say it's very impressive.
good luck on your future projects...
maybe i'll drop be some day.

-r

Michael5188
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I really liked the preview, it looks good! Some characters I didn't like so much, but all of the main characters I thought looked good. Great job!

Mr fenouil
09-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm sorry but i really think it's a very bad work, even if the cost was very low.
Maybe they should have use the fact that they didn't have a lot af money to be more creative and not try to do the same things as big studios.
It couldn't have been a good film. Maps are so horrible. Is it a video game?
Was there an art director on that film?
Studios did better 10 years ago...

Sorry, i don't like to say so bad critics but here...it's too much...

JakobSteffensen
09-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Hello..... Jakob Steffensen (Visual Effect Supervisor & Technical Director on the film)

I think since the film was only shown twice in Canada and two times in Denmark at this moment (Premiere being this weekend) most people should wait to see the thing moving and before getting the big guns out :-)

I know we had a lot of fun doing it and to me it seems like a really entertaining film in the cinema.

- Jakob

Timefly
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey Mr. Fenouil...thanks for the feedback, i'm glad not everyone feels so strongly about it as you, but i guess that just goes to show how subjective a field we're in. A thing that may be of interest to you is that the textures actually had to work for the tv-series gameengine rendering aswell as for the feature rendering.

One thing that's as subjective as looks, is the storyline, so perhaps you should go see it when it opens, who knows..maybe you'll find yourself entertained:)

Cheers

C

Pizzaman
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
First of all, hello.
It really sounds good to see how you feel confident about your project. More than trying to take benefit of your investments concerning feathers and furs... you seem to take more care of the story and the way to tell it. It's a good point. Besides, developping a full3D feature film in a small studio opens new horizons for the public. Whereas having to choose between three 90M$ blockbusters with the same "0-risk" style, we'll be able to see something different (if not concerning the subject, maybe in the way it's told).
Thanks for succeeding in bringing this movie on the market and i hope the success will be there.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.