PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Second Life Designers Make Real Money Creating Virtual Clothes

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Quote:
"
In the real world, fashionistas are recovering from the spring collections in New York and London and gearing up for shows in Milan and Paris.

But in the fast-growing virtual world of Second Life, many players are too enmeshed in the game's online fashion community to dissect what Vera Wang or Baby Phat sent down the catwalk in New York. Some players are buying up high fashion for their online graphic incarnations, known as avatars. Others, armed with Adobe Photoshop instead of a needle and thread, are creating their own clothing lines, pitching their designs to style editors, selling their creations, and -- in some cases -- even earning a living."

>>LINK<< (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115888412923570768-zVZuILNMf6YlpTXqtuGcTAWcrWY_20070925.html?mod=blogs)
-R

EnlightenedPixel
09-26-2006, 01:23 PM
... Ya know what, I take it back, I'd be glad to join Second Life simply to rip people off by offering slightly better made clothing items that would cost me very little time to generate.

CIM
09-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Ppl. sell virtual things. Who cares. This shouldn't be news.

DangerAhead
09-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I agree that this isn't news. the Wall Street Journal should be coming HERE to get their CG News. Not the other way around.

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
It is a valid market where people are making money selling 3D assets.

Having said that, if you wish to discuss this further, since I am done with discussing this on this thread, send me a PM.

-R

pearson
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
The thing I find so interesting about 2nd Life is that Linden Labs isn't profitable yet are they? What happens when they have to shut down the servers in 5 years (or 25 years)? People have a lot of real money tied up in all that virtual stuff. Enough that lawsuits would be sure to follow.

Even if they gave you the bits your virtual item was stored on, without the virtual world and it's economy, the item's value is still ruined.

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.