PDA

View Full Version : GAMASUTRA:Nintendo says 1 million Wii units in North American at launch

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Quote:
"There has been a lot of buzz about which retailers will be doing what for Wii preorders; everyone is understandably antsy about trying to get a system at launch. What if preorders and lines weren't anything to worry about though? What if Nintendo simply had enough units for the masses on the first day, and you could simply pick up a system at your leisure from any retailer? It would be an amazing experience, to be sure, and a very rare one when it comes to console launches. This is what we could be looking forward to though, as there may be as many as a million units available on the very first day. Rob Bertram, Nintendo of Canada's Vice President, gave some insight about allocation in North America.
"We're looking at a million (units) for North America at launch," said Bertram. "When Sony came out (with their PS3 announcement), they said 300,000.
"If we get what we're supposed to get, this will be our most plentiful launch in the 15 years I've been at Nintendo. All signs are actually extremely positive." '

>>LINK<< (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/9/24/5394)

-R

RuinedMessiah
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Launches are always short on units during holiday seasons. Even Nintendo DS was in short supply it's first christmas. Even with 1 million units, I still expect them to go fast.

ciff
09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Yep, me too, especialy in Europe, as i doub't we'll get as many as the US. Got the call from Game yesterday to say there taking deposits, so ive hopefully i'll have one on launch day now. Be a first time for me getting a console on launch day :cool: so here's hoping they have enough.

PhantomDesign
09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Only 1 million? That's not very many for North-America. What's the population here?

ParamountCell
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Yep, me too, especialy in Europe, as i doub't we'll get as many as the US. Got the call from Game yesterday to say there taking deposits, so ive hopefully i'll have one on launch day now. Be a first time for me getting a console on launch day :cool: so here's hoping they have enough.

I pre-ordered my wii from gamestation, 20 deposit, I feel a bit paranoid though, because a new worker took my order, and he kept forgetting stuff:eek:

ciff
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Lol, know the feeling, the guy who took my details had to run after me cos he forget to get some vital code off my recete. :hmm:

Larry_g1s
09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
That's a better number then it's competitors. Here's a new Nintendo Wii commercial for ya:

http://media.wii.ign.com/articles/735/735335/vids_1.html

ParamountCell
09-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Lol, know the feeling, the guy who took my details had to run after me cos he forget to get some vital code off my recete. :hmm:

that was exactly what happend to me..... Im begining to feel a bit anxious now.

ciff
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Would also like to pre order Zelda, but probly can't till just before release date. Still no word on controller prices for uk, but the dude in Game seemed pretty sure that Wii play was coming to europe for launch too, and that like in Japan, it would be cheeper getting wii play than just a new controller by its self. Here's hoping the controllers not more than 20, especally without the nunchuck. :hmm:

RuinedMessiah
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Nintendo is now bragging about 4 million units by the end of the christmas season, globally... which I think is just a tad bit of overkill. Especially if things turn out like the N64's launch. You know, consoles everywhere but extra controllers in excessively short supply.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.