PDA

View Full Version : Start-up aims to take video games to the next level

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Quote:
"
Silicon Valley upstart Trion World Network Inc. wants to take the nearly $30 billion video game industry to the next level by combining the best of high-speed Internet with traditional gaming and media.

Trion intends to take advantage of the growing number of broadband-connected homes and to deliver online games in "episodes" that change in real time as the game unfolds. Or as it might be pitched in Hollywood: Think MySpace.com meets "World of Warcraft" and interactive reality TV shows like "Survivor."

"Games are well-positioned to move into an online world and to become a deep entertainment experience," Trion founder Lars Buttler, a former vice president at Electronic Arts Inc. the world's biggest video game publisher, told Reuters
"

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060925/tc_nm/media_videogames_dc;_ylt=Avx7EhpFKwCMH7Bmntpxwt5T.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA)
-R

durbdk
09-26-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll be truely sorry if this becomes the new trend in game delivery; who's got time or desire to buy the game in multiple episodes stretched out over years? Look at HL2 Episodes, a year between 1st and second episode...Yawn. I want to pay my money, get a whole game, and enjoy it at my leisure...not at theirs. I know that this idea has more to it, but all I can think is "episodes"...

Just my .02 worth.

sconlogue
09-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Ya, I have mixed feelings about this business model for gaming. I fear the actual playability of a game falling short because of this type of bite size development. In the case of HL2 "episodes" these are really just expansions to an already great game. Do you think the quality of development of HL2 would have been the same if it had only been intended to be "Episodes"? I doubt it. It's like going the path of the sitcom in place of a feature film. It has it's place but I wouldn't say it is the "Future" of gaming.. I hope not. I still want my rock solid well conceived and developed "Feature Length" games!

And don't even get me started about ads in BF 2142 and other EA Games!!! ARRGGGHHHH.... You know what comes with episodic gaming, hence smaller budgets and develpment cycles.... Ads..... Its a sure thing.

erilaz
09-26-2006, 11:25 PM
I think the episodic content is a great idea, but what I can't stand is this idea of "deep entertainment" immersive gaming. People play games to relax and have fun, not be stuck in like some bad reality television. If someone said to me 'Think MySpace.com meets "World of Warcraft" and interactive reality TV shows like "Survivor."' i'd run like crazy in the other direction. The last thing we need is more entertainment where YOU can vote online and get the ringtone.

On the other hand, the idea of a game changing content in realtime does sound pretty cool.:D

syzygy
09-27-2006, 04:18 AM
I'll be truely sorry if this becomes the new trend in game delivery; who's got time or desire to buy the game in multiple episodes stretched out over years? Look at HL2 Episodes, a year between 1st and second episode...Yawn.
<snip>

Just my .02 worth.

yeh I think I understand (and share ) your concern with this, it kind of feels like the 3d software subscription services where the updates to the software often feel very dubious.
but i don't know if it is all together a bad thing. it will certainly allow for more expansive stories in the games - as long as that is the approach taken by the gaming companies i.e. it isn't a producer driven 'lets drag as much as we can out of this title, bleed it dry"

rosco
09-27-2006, 04:31 AM
So what happens if you go on holiday for a week and miss an episode? Can you no longer follow the story line, or have the knowledge of what to do next? Then can't play?

I think they really should look at the TV show series, DVDs of TV shows sell like hot cakes. People can watch them in their leisure time. Thats what games are, a leisure activity, not to be forced to watch/play/etc (except if you play WOW, then you have to be constantly on).

You have your hard core gamers, same as the must see TV watches and then people who are casual. Casual people people are now getting shafted in life, consumerism is ruling and we are no longer in control of our lives when it comes to the media, thank god for the web and the freedom it provides.

I miss the good old days, where you get a nice stand alone game, play casually for however long you wanted, when I wanted, come back again at a later time and know that nothing has changed.

If I wanted things to change in real time, then I'd go and experience life not some virtual world.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.