PDA

View Full Version : My Concept Character

salman-fas
09-26-2006, 07:09 AM
hi
this is what i am currently working on right now.still have to make the hands and the feet as well as her pistol and knife.i am gonna try to keep it under 6000 tris.
this character was inspiration from the characters from perfect dark zero, kameo and lara croft.so i ended up with mix up of three. it looks more like perfect dark zero's character than the other 2 though. i hope to hear from you guys......oh and this is for my character demo.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7743/wip1um6.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7202/wip1wirehp5.jpg

blacker
09-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Well I don't want to discourage you, but this needs a lot of work both anatomically and geometrically.

For the anatomy, the biggest thing that sticks out is the pelvis/pubic/upper leg area. They just don't flow together well and the front and sides puff out.. it's sort of like she's got a butt on the front. Really move around your model while you model and make sure it looks accurate from all sides/angles. Another area that needs special attention is the underarm to back. It should not look exactly like the front of the arm. To be terribly accurate, the infraspinatus and teres minor and teres major muscles need to add definition to make the back flow into the shoulder and arm.. to simplify that, it's what swimmers call wings or wing muscles. It's the main muscle group which attaches to the back of the arm and the back.

As for the geometry, you've got some really strange meshflow. The forearms and breasts have really strange geometry. The knees should be simplified, you don't need a spherical kneecap. The shoulders don't look as though they would deform well (although I'm no expert at that). And the neck has a TON of detail.

For what you've got, I think you could reduce the model to almost half the tris you're currently using and get better meshflow. However, I'd start off getting everything to look right, and after you've done that, go back and look at how to work with less tris.

One thing which might help you is to try to extrude your torso from the neck (after you reduce the number of polygons there). Work from the side view and just try to make the posture look correct. Just extrude and rotate your edges to get the curves of the spine You can then adjust the size of each ring of vertices to block out the general shape of the torso. After it looks good from the side view, you can look at it from the front view and adjust the proportions there. Basically just try to block it in and KEEP IT SIMPLE. After you've got good proportions and mesh flow, add more polys and detail where it's needed. This way you don't wind up with edges that wrap all the way around your model (when that's not desired) and as an added bonus, everything stays as quads until you decide to reduce.

Hope this helps!

Gaboon
09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Put down the 3D for now, get some swimsuit magazines and draw draw draw. When you can draw the figure realisticly, pick the 3D back up.

typhus22
09-26-2006, 08:13 PM
well i know some folks who cant draw worth a damn but can model real well but u really should use some reference images to help start u off if u are unsure about anatomy. onto the crits i suppose:

the face doesnt look so bad, at least u didnt end up with a shemale but there is defintely a huge waste in polys ( i am thinking u are going after a low poly model right?). also the limbs need definition and theres something weird going on near the belly shirt area that is looking waaay too sharp. also teh whole pelvis area got a backwards looking butt going on. im not sure if u were intending for it to look like a fluffy pants or what not but its defintely looking awkward. the stomach also seems too long and the thighs look like they are pointing in. anyways, id say just keep plowing. its not so bad where ud have to trash it but for a demo peice u really have to up the ante.

please dont take offense to this, just things i see that needs working on. anyways, good luck bro and cya!

salman-fas
09-27-2006, 05:52 AM
thank you everyone...and there is no way that i will get offended from critiques as u are helping me out.yeah i will surely work on the areas u guys described and try to get some good reference also.this is the first time that i am modeling something like that and i never have done any lowpoly work before so those quads get stuck in my head all the time.i will get some time on weekend and then i will get to work on it hopefully.could you please give me some refrence how her breast area's meshflow should be.
again thanks for helping me out.

Schoende
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Ok here I come with my C&C. Not gonna repeat anything said already.

I've added an image to show where I'm talking about (numbered it for reference):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102441&stc=1

1. I guess you try to make boots or something at this place. I think this makes your unwired model look weird at that point. Solution make the difference bigger.

2. If I'm right you try to make hot pants near the pelvis area. You should make the edge (in the area where the circle is) harder to show where the pants end. You made it round, and just makes it look weird (I know blaker said something about it already but thought this could be helpfull).

3. just wanted to point out an ugly edge (did you smotth an even lower poly model to get this result?).

about the leg length. I have included a pic of what I think you should change to make the anatomy of the legs better (and with that make the torso look lees too long), because what you have now is a little out of proportion:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102442&stc=1

about the knees and lower legs part: you could make the knees a tick less wide and the upper part of your lower legs more wide.

about the pelvis: obviousely it's a girl/woman and because of that I would say the pelvis could be wider too.

I really like the hairdo till now and the face is nice too (though it has a little high tris count).

Hope this helped and hope to see some progress soon. Could you pls send some concept art or post your referrence?

KEEP GOING!!!

salman-fas
09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
thanks Schoende
your post is extremely helpful.
1. those would be boots and i will make changes when i get over there as i deleted torso and started to simplify the face now it is 1264 tris including hair.before it had something like 1850.
2. i will make that area look better and keep your words in mind while making that area.
3. it looked like that the face had a smooth applied as those wires were hard to see.i am posting image of how it was.

anyways i made some changes and deleted lots of edges please tell me if that is okay or no.
thanks for your time

salman-fas
10-01-2006, 09:22 PM
here is a bit more progress.tried to reduce a little bit more on polys. what should be poly count for the eyes currently i am using spheres with 56 tris each.
and here is the concept i drew. the face doesnt line up right though.

salman-fas
10-03-2006, 08:25 AM
no comments or anything:sad:
i hope i am heading right direction. here is some more update started on the arms and made her belly.should I make her belly button or just paint it in texture.

salman-fas
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
worked on her a bit more and here it is so far.hopefully the pelvis,pubic area looks better now.
i do have a question about the finger though.
should i use 2 edge loops at the joint of finger or just make one edgeloop as making 2 might help while rigging and the finger might bend better.please let me know.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.