PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel, Rick Stefani

RickStefani
09-26-2006, 05:51 AM
http://www.cortexstudios.com/Rick_Stefani_demo.mov

I just graduated from The Art Institute of Phoenix. Here is my reel. Thanks for taking the time to visit. I hope you like what you see.

Thanks
Rick

algharaf
09-26-2006, 06:59 AM
:thumbsup: :applause: realy, its cool

Leshiy3d
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
wow! awesome reel! I like animations of mechanical parts :thumbsup:

SanjayChand
09-26-2006, 12:35 PM
this is a really good reel.
Im surprised its not top row!

:beer:

paultheplumber
09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Nice work! I really like the Mazda and the mobile assault battery.

A thought about the reel itself: First impressions are key on a demo reel. The initial blue wireframe didn't do anything for me and I almost hit the back button and stopped the reel there. Which would have been unfortunate, because there is some really nice stuff after that (Including the fully textured power armor). I'd recommend making sure that the first thing your viewer sees makes a great impression.

RickStefani
09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks hamaney, Leshiy3d, aryaFX and paultheplumber. Great sudgestion. I will have to play with that. I am also thinking about breaking down the last scene the same way I broke down the NASA shot. I have an HD720P version I might try to compress and put a link to tonight if someone is interested. This reel is half res.

Thanks
Rick

RickStefani
09-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I did the update that Paul mentioned. It works a lot better. Thanks. I also changed the end and added one small peice. I removed most of the black. The link has been updated.

Rick

echoBars
10-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Really great reel. I like the scenes towards the end. Professional stuff. You did nearly all of it yourself? How long did it take and how long were your studies(1, 2 years)?

My site...http://burdenwoe.com

Gehof
10-01-2006, 01:02 PM
This thread's got an awfully low post count considering the exceptional work on your reel. Way to go man, really great stuff.

Strob
10-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Wow nice work.

I can't believe you just graduated! Did you do all this work at school or were they real contract work?

RickStefani
10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
burdennwoe, Thanks I went to school for three years. It was a bachelor program. The models in the beginning were all my work. The Pepi car design was done by a friend. His name is in the credits. The logo on the hood was provided by Pepsi. The cars were paid freelance work. The NASA scene was done by a group of us at school for "NASA Means Business" national compition. I was the cg producer for the PSA. We won the grande prize. The golf ball and the view of the crater were done completely by me but the rover was modeled by a few deferent people, including me. The animation of the rover was done by a friend. The war Zone, I was the producer. I set up the scene. There were four of us working on it. It is tough to say how long it took because a lot of it was worked on over a period of time. All the volumetrics we done by me. A friend of mine did the tiles and rocks from the foot.

Gehof, Thanks

Strob, Thanks. the cars were contracts. The rims on the Pepsi car was actually a seperate contract for Discount tire.

Bhunt
10-02-2006, 01:23 AM
great stuff.....really nices dynamics on the war scene.....also the camera angles on all the models was really interesting...the tilt.....very nice touch..nice work and good luck

mseydel
10-02-2006, 03:28 AM
very impessive reel. Excellent, professional-class models and textures all the way around. I agree about the pacing, though. That first model is cool, but I'd start with one of the cars; grab attention!

Soon2bAnimator
10-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Great work Rick...your names sound filmilar..i graduated from AIPX a few quarters ago...anyway its looking really good man..love the modeling and pacing of ur reel really impressive work no real crits from me keep up the good work and keep in contact

-S2bA

JYoung
10-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Rick, I saw this at work last week and have gotta say it's the most professional looking reel I've seen come out of the school. Top notch stuff. Good luck with the job hunt!(assuming you haven't already found something)

I'd personally put the production team shot right at the beginning being that it has that polished 'wow' factor to it. Would make a nice segue into the mech breakdown at the beginning as well.

J.Gaeta
10-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Wow, this is impressive. Fantastic work! Good luck.

Nux
10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
wow man. top notch. steller everything! five.

sachin3d
10-03-2006, 07:50 AM
amazing work for a student level. keep it up.

rastko
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Great reel and amazing works

Keep up good work :thumbsup:

agentex
10-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Rick!

This is such an awesome reel. Love the breakdown on the last shot and those killer volumetrics!

Always awesome working with you. Ttys,

Christian

RickStefani
10-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Bhunt, Thanks. I tried to keep the camera angle interesting. A spin can get so reptative.

mseydel, thanks. I have been playing with that too. The cars are a great middle piece to keap the pace going.

Soon2bAnimator, Thanks too. How are things going for you. AIPX went by so fast.

Yungimoto, I remember you and your work. Nice to see you landed a great job. Thanks for viewing. I like the way the war zone one ends it and fades to black nicely.

J.Gaeta, Thanks. I feal great with all of the great talent posting. Your ripper model is awsome.

Nux, thanks for the stars

sachin3d, thanks and soon to be higher.

Abishai-RS, Thanks and working on it. You really never stop learning if this is your passion do you?

agentex, Hey Christian. The feeling is mutual. Working with someone that you know you can call past 2:00 in the morning because you do not give up is great. Great to see you around here.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 06:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.