PDA

View Full Version : additional procedural textures anywhere?

mocaw
09-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I've only found on free procedural shaders to download and was wondering if anyone knows where there might be more, besides the darktree ones. Is there anyone selling a cheap package of them maybe?

Here is the one I found:

http://www.highend3d.com/xsi/downloads/shaders/3865.html

I guess I'm just missing some of the procedurals from LW since it had a fairly good library of flexable ones.

Sbowling
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Thomas Hezel (sp?) was working on a set of procedural textures for XSI based on his Messiah textures, but was not able to sell them because of some kind of SDK license limitation or fee or something. This is a real shame, because the messiah textures were great and I had been looking forward to these being released for XSI for a long time. :sad:

Here's a link from his site. http://www.screendream.de/AoN_XSI.htm hopefully these textures aren't dead and Thomas will be able to work out some way to sell them.

Benr
09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
There are also the Binary Alchemy shaders.

mocaw
09-26-2006, 06:07 PM
There are also the Binary Alchemy shaders.

Thanks for the tip off Ben- and thanks again for Bhairy- it really helped on that last CD cover project I did.

On another side note: Have you used BA's Volume Shaders? They look very promising...

terencemace
09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Have you checked out the Darktree shaders (Simbiont)? They're really great.

T

mocaw
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes, the darktree ones are nice, but there is quite a bit of other software I could use instead for the price. I'm not in any way saying they aren't worth it though.

The binary alchemy ones look like they'll do about 90% of what I was missing before.

terencemace
09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
You can use the Simbiont shaders, with the darktree collection, for FREE.

JDex
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
The BA shaders are super useful... and the Volume Cloud set is awesome, but it is memory intensive.

mocaw
09-27-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm digging the Binary Alchemy procedural nodes, but the cell one seems kind of buggy and crashes XSI often. Still they are free!

JDex: Are the Volume Shaders stable for you? And when you say they HOG RAM is that at any resolution...particle density etc?

Sbowling
09-27-2006, 05:41 AM
On another side note: Have you used BA's Volume Shaders? They look very promising...

I have the BA volumeshaders and they can do some real nice things, but the documentation is fairly week. They could really use some more (better written) tutorials to help shorten the learning curve.

mocaw
09-27-2006, 06:59 AM
I have the BA volumeshaders and they can do some real nice things, but the documentation is fairly week. They could really use some more (better written) tutorials to help shorten the learning curve.

How do they compare to LW's volumetrics (if you don't mind elaborating a bit).

I guess in the end I was wishing to find something like these for XSI- they're renderman based procedurals that have been converted to LW (and better yet they're free).

http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm

I know that I can get quite a bit out of just messing with frequency setting etc. but it helps to keep your nodes not quite as crazy when you start with procedurals that are closest to your needs.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 06:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.