PDA

View Full Version : orc wip

jcriz
09-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Decided to delve into low poly after graduation, considering there was little to none of it taught in school, and this is my *first* real attempt, albiet a number complete screwups and restarts. It started as an entry for the blizzard contest at first, so thats why it might look a bit "blizzardish".

maya7 and photoshop
4086 tris
3x1024 textures: diffuse,bump,spec.

any c&c would be great!

unfortunately, these are software renders, so they may be a bit off from an in-engine view, I tried to get it as close as possible(turned off all image and rendering filters and used no shadows). If anyone knows of a good dx9 viewer that works with a format exportable from maya, that would be great.

http://www.justincriswell.com/orcSpecs.jpg

Ghostscape
09-26-2006, 06:43 AM
I am going to be brutal because I currently feel like going through the forum and being brutal. I mean for this to be helpful, though :D

The proportions are off. His arms are too long, his fingers should come down to the middle of his thigh when they're flat down. Right now they come down to his knees if you bring his arms in. His lower legs seem a bit short too. Orcs can have big chests and whatnot but they should have proper arm lengths and legs proportions or else they won't look fearsome but rather cumbersome.

You're wasting way too many triangles in areas that don't need them. His gauntlet spikes are pyramids - the horizontal chop is doubling their polycount without adding any shape. His belt is really detailed, but he could poke your eyes out with his nipples. Put more polygons into the ches ant anatomy, and pull them from the tiny details. You don't need the thin chamfers on his boots more than you need smooth bold pecs, etc.

For 3 1024x1024s he is looking mighty bland. His gauntlets and shoes have some pretty nice detail to them but then all his skin is just some noisy green blah. He should have changes in coloration, scars, muscle definition, draw him some nipples it doesn't make you gay, where is his belly button, etc. His belt buckle is big and in your face and guarding his nuts - it's a strong focal point so do something interesting with it and his nutflap.

It's hard to crit his face because the pictures are small but you need to do more with the detailing and the structure of the face, muscles, wrinkles, the horns don't look like they're popping out of the skin they look like the skin just changed color. The hair could usesome highlights to pop it out, it's just muddy darkness at the moment.

His gauntlets are pretty sickhouse but right now the rest of him isn't matching up.

jcriz
09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
The proportions are off. His arms are too long, his fingers should come down to the middle of his thigh when they're flat down. Right now they come down to his knees if you bring his arms in. His lower legs seem a bit short too. Orcs can have big chests and whatnot but they should have proper arm lengths and legs proportions or else they won't look fearsome but rather cumbersome.

brutal? i wouldnt consider that brutal, just a good honest crit. I did a quick rig and lowered his arms and they were longer than I thought. I know logically how long an arm is supposed to be, but I have that problem quite a bit with judging arm length while a char is in t-pose( or half t-pose in this case, I actually posed him like that thinking it would help a bit).

You're wasting way too many triangles in areas that don't need them. His gauntlet spikes are pyramids - the horizontal chop is doubling their polycount without adding any shape. His belt is really detailed, but he could poke your eyes out with his nipples. Put more polygons into the chest and anatomy, and pull them from the tiny details. You don't need the thin chamfers on his boots more than you need smooth bold pecs, etc.

As far as the guantlet spikes go, I did that to help elongate them a bit while not looking quite so "pyramidy", but the loops are gone now, they look fine wihtout them. Concerning the the chain rig thing embedded in his chest and going around his neck, I was kinda blah about that from the start and was considering taking it out, but I never for the life of me thought that they could be misconstrued as nipples. consider them gone, or reworked at least. (I know my proportions are off, but do people really put nipples two inches from a neck?)

For 3 1024x1024s he is looking mighty bland. His gauntlets and shoes have some pretty nice detail to them but then all his skin is just some noisy green blah. He should have changes in coloration, scars, muscle definition, draw him some nipples it doesn't make you gay, where is his belly button, etc. His belt buckle is big and in your face and guarding his nuts - it's a strong focal point so do something interesting with it and his nutflap.

It's hard to crit his face because the pictures are small but you need to do more with the detailing and the structure of the face, muscles, wrinkles, the horns don't look like they're popping out of the skin they look like the skin just changed color. The hair could usesome highlights to pop it out, it's just muddy darkness at the moment.

i've had a lot of difficulty rendering the skin part. I reworked it several times and then decided to break from it and do the armor. Needless to say, I havent got back to it yet. Its kinda messin with me a bit, becasue i can render musculature fine while drawing, but and the texture seems to looks good when I'm still in photoshop, but as soon as I switch back to maya and hit reload, Its all f'd up. Not becasue of texture stretching, but more so the way it lays on the model. So im still fighting with that quite a bit. I worked the face quite a bit, but they do seem to get lost in the distance, when I try to add more contrast, it looks blotchy up close....trying to find a happy medium.

His gauntlets are pretty sickhouse but right now the rest of him isn't matching up.

thanks!(for all of it):buttrock:
I'll post some progress as soon as I can make it over a couple of these hurdles.

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.