PDA

View Full Version : Fur/Hair Rendering and Mental Ray. Need Help.

drewantarctic
09-26-2006, 01:34 AM
e I have created both Fur and Hair a while ago for a character which rendered wonderfully in Maya's Software renderer. I have upgraded to 8.0 and decided to give the whole mental ray thing a try. It took a while to get the Body looking right and now the last step is the hair/fur. The fur just doesnt render right and the autodesk tutorials are no good. The Hair doesnt render at all. Has anyone run across any good tips for rendering fur and hair in Mental Ray? So far my scene has not translated over very well and has taken a lot of tweaking to get looking even alright.

Here is a pic of my body from last week. Sorry I cant include a fur/hair render with it...because there is nothing to see.
http://www.bushheads.com/HeadaIMages/BushMentalTest01.jpg
This is the First render done with Maya Software
http://www.bushheads.com/CGTalk/BushMayaSoft01.jpg
If it is of any consequence I am using an environment shader (from the globulous misss skin tutorial) for my skin. Does fur/hair render with this? How can I do it? Any help would be great! Thanks guys.

TAVO
09-26-2006, 03:04 AM
i think you just have to wait for SP1 or SP2 or SP3 now that Maya is developed by Autodesk. Hope not :p

FloydBishop
09-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Hair and fur DO render in Mental Ray. What else is going on with the character? What are you using for the hair? It it Maya fur? Maya hair? Any special shaders on the hair?

drewantarctic
09-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I am using a combo of Fur and Hair. Youll notice the difference in top combover is all Hair and the sides are Maya Fur. I haven't done anything radical other than messing with the color settings and such. I still have the same network from the Maya Software renders. The Fur Renders just fine. It's the hair that is invisible. Is there something special I need to plug in the network to get Mental Ray to accept it? I tried rapid Hair but it still renders invisible...strange...

Would it help if I posted the file for someone to take a quick look at?

FloydBishop
09-30-2006, 02:33 AM
If you put a file up somewhere, I'll take a look at it (but not until Monday).

FloydBishop
09-30-2006, 02:35 AM
One thing you may want to try is to have the hair render as geometry. While this may or may not work for you based on how complicated the scene is, you may get a better render.

That's just off the top of my head. I'd be able to help more if I can see the file.

Lamster
09-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Read this thread and download/install the 2 shaders muhHair, which can be found by googling or going to the person's website, and ctrl_fur which is available from the thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=277185

Remember. If you want to get the alpha from a mental Ray shader, you have to pass custom alpha channel from the mental Ray Globals custom entities.

If you are having trouble with using the attributes in the muhHair shader, you can easily get the documentation by googling muhHair. There should be a download from the creator's site that includes the docs and explanation of exactly what each attribute in the shader does. It's really quite useful stuff and it looks pretty good too.

Terence

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2006, 06:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.