PDA

View Full Version : Question about MMORPG style environment textures

Fignuts
09-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi all, I've recently started work on my first attempt at a game environment and it would be setup to run in a MMORPG style game. Now I'm not that great with texturing period so my question is how exactly do you make a ground texture such as grass etc for such a large scale area that doesnt look blurry and pixelated when seen from the players perspective? I know games cant handle huge texture maps so I'm just trying to figure out what size to make the texture and also do they usually use a seamless tiled texture or unwrap and hand paint one big one? Im assuming tile but I've yet to really find any info on the subject so any help you guys can give me would be most appreciated. I'll post some screenshots up once work gets going along faster. Thanks in advance.

Gamedev
09-26-2006, 02:30 AM
short answer, tiled textures. For terrain or ground an editor or specific tool is used that will you blend and paint tiled textures together. So the base point would be plenty of tileable generics. Hope that helps.

TychoCelchuuu
09-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Yeah, your only real option is to tile.

GradiusCancer
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
On a terrain, large tiling textures (1024), using texture blending, with small prop models (such as grass planes, rocks, etc) scatted all over to help break noticeable tiling. If you have the texture memory for a lot of blending, instead of one grass with one dirt texture (for example), blend multiple grass textures that are similar. This will heavily increase the variety, and with enough work you can completely eliminate any noticeable tiling.

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.