PDA

View Full Version : Horus WIP

astromonkey
09-26-2006, 12:05 AM
im starting work on a game model just because i really havent done one before. I think its become a bit TOO low poly and i think i should throw more detail in there (starting with the hands) but heres what i have so far...

polycount is at around 2000 tris i believe.
http://astromonkey.googlepages.com/horus_wire.jpg/horus_wire-full.jpg

Comments and crits welcome, of course :thumbsup:

Steen
09-26-2006, 12:57 AM
That looks like a nice clean model. I think that would probably be a good base for normal maps and such fanciness. I'm also currently getting my feet wet with low poly game characters.

I don't think it would hurt to have a full blown five finger hand, especially with what new gen hardware can do. I may be wrong about this, but I think it might help to have some more geometry around the shoulders and elbows to help with deformation.

It's looking really nice though. I'm looking forward to seeing texture.

Augh
09-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Obviously you got some degree of artistic license with a character like this one, but feels like the head could come up off the shoulders a tiny bit(?) It shows mostly in the 3/4 view and front shot. It's a sortof shrinking down pose in the bust/head and neck area as a result.

maybe worth a look at it?
Looks really solid start otherwise man, nice.
Cheers

Squirmy
09-26-2006, 01:32 AM
The legs seem about half a head length to long

Ghostscape
09-26-2006, 07:22 AM
If you're aiming for 2k triangles get rid of the tiny bands around his arm and his bracers. Those are probably eating up 100 triangles or more and are barely noticiable. Meanwhile his calves are way too sharp and need some loving.

His legs look very box, the seam running down the middle of the side of the leg is not adding anything to the shape and can't even be seen in the front view. I'm sure it's a similar story in the back as well. The edgeloop for the knee has shape in the front but not in the back. His skirt is not going to deform nicely for animation so unless you want him to never walk you might want to change it up. If I recall they usually slit the legs up the sides.

His arms have the same wasted seams running up them that the legs do, you've got 8 edges but only 4 sides it looks like...puff them out! His head has a lot of triangles and could probably be cut down a bit. His beak meanwhile has 3-4 vertical chops and those aren't adding much definition.

With all the polygons you save in the head and the bands, you could afford to give him better looking hands.

The priests would all wear headdresses shaped like the god's head, with their head underneath, and typically the gods were thusly depicted with longer than normal necks. Right now the bird head is sitting awfully close to his shoulders, you may want to raise it up a bit.

astromonkey
09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
If you're aiming for 2k triangles get rid of the tiny bands around his arm and his bracers. Those are probably eating up 100 triangles or more and are barely noticiable. Meanwhile his calves are way too sharp and need some loving.

His legs look very box, the seam running down the middle of the side of the leg is not adding anything to the shape and can't even be seen in the front view. I'm sure it's a similar story in the back as well. The edgeloop for the knee has shape in the front but not in the back. His skirt is not going to deform nicely for animation so unless you want him to never walk you might want to change it up. If I recall they usually slit the legs up the sides.

His arms have the same wasted seams running up them that the legs do, you've got 8 edges but only 4 sides it looks like...puff them out! His head has a lot of triangles and could probably be cut down a bit. His beak meanwhile has 3-4 vertical chops and those aren't adding much definition.

With all the polygons you save in the head and the bands, you could afford to give him better looking hands.

The priests would all wear headdresses shaped like the god's head, with their head underneath, and typically the gods were thusly depicted with longer than normal necks. Right now the bird head is sitting awfully close to his shoulders, you may want to raise it up a bit.

im thinking that the poly count that im at now is low but its where i was when i got to a stopping point actually thats why i put those arm and leg bands in there to allow myself to add detail. and the legs got more definition just today.

as far as the "skirt" goes i never really found any reference with a slit up the side but i saw some sort of a fold situation in the front. either way it didnt look very easy to walk in it in real life. i guess not the best choice for a first game model.:shrug: maybe ill have to use some of that artistic licence to adjust that.

and lastly i agree about the head, i thought that when i was modeling that on there but i just figured that it was a result of putting a birds head on a human body. ill make some adjustments to the anatomy and slap up some new pics soon. thanks for the crits kiddies!:thumbsup:

astromonkey
09-29-2006, 02:42 AM
shortened leg length, made the head 'taller', added geometry to the legs and arms to define shape and added other minor changes ... c & c away :)

http://astromonkey.googlepages.com/horus_wire2.jpg/horus_wire2-full.jpg

killarai
09-29-2006, 03:37 AM
You could collapse/integrate some edges, it would actually look better, and form a more sturdy poly flow.

You don't have to do what I show, but it might help a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/killarai/horus_wire2-full_suggestion.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2006, 03:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.