PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy Ship Mite!

disrupt
09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
This is my final project in Animation Mentor. I know that the ending could be alot better, in fact the whole story needs improving but I had a limited amount of time to try to finish this. The whole thing was created in 24 weeks, about half the time planning and storyboarding and the other half animating. I have never really done much rendering or lighting so be kind to me in that department, but the animation.......TEAR IT APART!
Animation Link (http://brandonbeckstead.com/ShipMite.mpg) (.mpg Should work for Linux and everyone else)
Animation Link (http://brandonbeckstead.com/ShipMite.mov) (Quicktime H.264 Codec)

http://www.brandonbeckstead.com/Termite.jpg

GoGoMango
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
I think its a cute story, The animation I think is pretty good. Im not sure what to tell you to do different. Very nice job!

Bluder
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
awsome animation mate, the only thing i can think of is the walk cykle of the white guy after he put down the ship, the weight in the pelvis feels slowmo. other then that its great.

nice work.

Darknessseeker0
09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Brandon deserves to have his short on the front page? :scream:

AndrewChang
09-26-2006, 02:11 AM
This was very humorous and cute. I think I liked your jumps and pole vault the best. Very good grasp of mechanics and I could feel the mite's weight quite well. I almost want to say that I think the pencil, after being bent that far backwards, should have a little more follow-through in the body of the pencil like it should wobble a little more (but I'm basing this on pole vault videos I've seen). Great work and good luck!

Obaid3DFX
09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Very Nice Strory

:thumbsup:

paultheplumber
09-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Well you got the most important part right: Giving your main character some personality. So nice work!

I kind of like the cheesy grin at the end. heh.

Kickflipkid687
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
haha... that was great man! I really liked the mites personality. You really got the stretch and squash down good I think. I like the ending alot, that was great. 5 stars.

Matt

AKS
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Brandon! AMAZING work. Everything looks just phenomenal! I love it especially with all the lighting & rendering. The only thing I would crit is that the guys seems a little odd with no clothes.... Might just give him basic paint on pants & shirt. :)

AjaBogdanoff
09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Way to go Brandon! Inspirational as always! :D

mgarward
09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I love this short! Yeah, the guy needs some clothes, but it's not really about him... the termit is fantastic. The pencil lift, and his various takes, and just how well his personality comes across, is all amazing. Awesome work, Brandon!

3dcga
09-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Great! :D

Althought I feel the story could've been better, but heck, who cares??? Overall great job. I feel the animation on the man could've been more fluid and could use some touch up. Other than that... awesome animation :)

Darknessseeker0
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Front page work Brandon! *hint hint* :thumbsup:

echoBars
09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Excellent short. You've got nothing to apoligize for here. Smooth, expressive animation with a good sense of weight. Your pre production planning has paid off-fluid editting, funny moments I didn't see coming and you've told a complete story. Great job.

My site....http://burdenwoe.com

echoBars
09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Excellent short. You've got nothing to apoligize for here. Smooth, expressive animation with a good sense of weight. Your pre production planning has paid off-fluid editting, funny moments I didn't see coming and you've told a complete story. Great job.

P.S. how did you compress, and how large was the file....

My site....http://burdenwoe.com

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

liquidik
09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Brandoooooonnnn...super mega fantastic!

Eheh

Gian

inmaya
09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I really like it ! It's smooth , simple , cool too watch ... I think you got all the thing to work as an animator.:thumbsup:

Batchem
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
You are very modest! What a bright spot in my day!

Batchem

disrupt
09-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Thank you so much for the comments! I really appreciate the crits as well, it's the only way I am going to get better. Someone asked how I compressed it. The original file was almost 3 GB uncompressed and I exported it with Quicktime Pro using the H .264 Codec at 400kbits/sec. It got it down to about 7MB. Thanks again for the great comments!

RobertoOrtiz
09-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Mgarward nominated this piece for a frontpage, and I agreed.

Great work.
-R

kantcho
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Great short Brandon, awesome animation and very funny story, I like, I like.

K.

AndHolzmeister
09-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Brandon, outstanding animation... great work... good timing, good character and great story!

Jozvex
09-27-2006, 05:58 AM
HAA!

It's great, I love it. I love the little "oooh that's good stuff" shiver after he takes the first small bite of the ship. Everything looks really good to me.

I also can't wait to see other students' finished shorts from AM!!

mmkelly011881
09-27-2006, 08:00 AM
woohoo.. yeah brandon! top notch man.. you deserve the front page plug

maninflash
09-27-2006, 08:03 AM
i think the animation is only medicore. I have a lot of respect for animationmentor but I think this short only got frontpage becasue it was out of AM and I don't think it deserved it.

I also think if you really wanted critic, you could have added frame numbers but im gonna try to give you a crit anyway, mostly the issues i see are in timing and weight, as far as timing go, generaly you've done okay, but you could have made the whole timing more uneven and introduced more contrast, some of the holds are held too long while some others could have probably used more time. For weight, i think some people have the wrong assumption that when you lift something, if you make it real slow, it reads as heavy, yes, that is one of the characteristics of weight but its not all, it also affects the line of action in body, the rotation of spine, bending of knees and also its not gonna be THAT easy keeping something heavy and long in balance. Also, have you ever tried bending a pencil? of course this is a cartoon and it doesnt need to be hundred percent real but still it needs to have some grounding in the reality, a pencil, if added a lot of pressure would bend a little only before breaking, but a pencil bending under the weight of a bug?

also, for something as stylized as this, i expected to see a lot of squash and stretch in the body, legs and head.

the pose where he's taking the first bite of the ship is very well done, reads well and comunicates nicely, and the antic and run after that is timed well too, good job there.

overall, nice work, but could have been a lot better.

good luck

thematt
09-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Awesome, great animation timming and very funny story..totally in love with the character you gave him a personnality on his own and it's great.

now i can start my day smiling.
cheers

Amrit-Derhgawen
09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Excellent work Brandon!!:applause:
I just love it!! And your animation really deserves the FRONT PAGE!! Some people just can't admire good work and hard effort:sad:. Oh well.... I've saved your animation on my desktop, its really inspiring!

Good luck man! You rock!:thumbsup:
-A

Mylenium
09-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Fantastic and very funny. I only found that the environments don't quite fit the style - either they should have more detail or should be even more stylized/ simplified. I noticed this especially in the shot with the bottleneck - though there is refraction/ reflection, the shape makes it look flat. Anyway, still great stuff.

Mylenium

lane_hawk
09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
.I also think if you really wanted critic, you could have added frame numbers but im gonna try to give you a crit anyway,

What's up with the sarcastic nasty comment? Many anims posted here don't have frame numbers and it's still possible to give a crit.

Good work Brandon! I think you deserve front page. I've seen some of your other work on AM and it's fantastic. I really liked your two person acting piece with the guy at the desk.
In terms of this short, I really enjoyed the bug's animation. I watched it without sound and was cracking up. You really got the mood and character to come across!
I think the human character was a bit stiff though when he leans forward to place bottle on the table. As a whole it's an awesome short!

mattmos
09-27-2006, 09:09 AM
i think the animation is only medicore. I have a lot of respect for animationmentor but I think this short only got frontpage because it was out of AM and I don't think it deserved it.

Well, I have to take issue with that statement. The lighting and rendering of this piece may be mediocore (sorry brandon!), but the animation in this piece is excellent throughout, and I think completely justifies itself on the front page.

I also think if you really wanted critic, you could have added frame numbers but im gonna try to give you a crit anyway

C'mon man, how many finished animations posted here have frame counters? Its useful for wip indepth animation critiques, but at some point you just call it finished and show it off, nothing wrong with that.

mostly the issues i see are in timing and weight, as far as timing go, generaly you've done okay, but you could have made the whole timing more uneven and introduced more contrast, some of the holds are held too long while some others could have probably used more time.

I think what you're talking about here is a stylistic choice in animation, you obviously prefer a more extreme cartoony timing, but its a personal opinion I think, not all animation has to conform to the same timing surely?

For weight, i think some people have the wrong assumption that when you lift something, if you make it real slow, it reads as heavy, yes, that is one of the characteristics of weight but its not all, it also affects the line of action in body, the rotation of spine, bending of knees and also its not gonna be THAT easy keeping something heavy and long in balance. Also, have you ever tried bending a pencil? of course this is a cartoon and it doesnt need to be hundred percent real but still it needs to have some grounding in the reality, a pencil, if added a lot of pressure would bend a little only before breaking, but a pencil bending under the weight of a bug?

I agree that making something slow doesn't make something heavy, but that's not what he's doing here, the pencil isn't that heavy to begin with but it is cumbersome, and that's what comes across in this piece, he's controlling the length of the pencil by lifting it slowly.

At some point the whole truth to the materials pov gets stretched a bit far, I don't see where the problem is with bending the pencil. I do think the timing in this section could have been more comedic, so to have a beat while it was bent before flinging him into the glass.

also, for something as stylized as this, i expected to see a lot of squash and stretch in the body, legs and head.

Again, a personal opinion and not really a crit on the animation - also not all animators can rig well enough to do the kind of things that you might expect from a larger production.

the pose where he's taking the first bite of the ship is very well done, reads well and comunicates nicely, and the antic and run after that is timed well too, good job there.

overall, nice work, but could have been a lot better.

good luck

I'm glad you took the time to give this piece a thorough crit, but couldn't help feeling you were being unecessarily tough hence the reply.

Peace,
Matt

Scob
09-27-2006, 09:15 AM
hehe , funny stuff..
Good work.. :thumbsup:
Cheers..

maninflash
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, I have to take issue with that statement. The lighting and rendering of this piece may be mediocore (sorry brandon!), but the animation in this piece is excellent throughout, and I think completely justifies itself on the front page.

I don't think another reply from me would be neccesary here but just to clarify a bit.

I assume that we both agree on the goal of this post-your-work and get feedback thing is to grow and learn and generaly becoming a better artist. now, everyone's opinion on what is excellent and what isn't is different, as is their takes on style, cartoony vs realistic, weight and all that. So I think you don't need to defend something, what I said was just the way his animation felt to me, the animator would read my crit, he may agree with it or not and he may use it in his next animation or he may not, if something that I said would help him to get better, great! if not, just some thoughts that would soon get lost in the maze of this forum.

I still think that it doesn't deserved front page, but as far as FP goes, only opinios of the moderators count, and since I'm not one of them, you guys don't need to worry.

EDIT: After reading my first post for a second time, I think the tone was a bit too harsh, and I apologize, my intentions were good thou. =]

Munumunup
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
What codec did you use? And where could I download it so I can see the movie?

cheers :)

Amrit-Derhgawen
09-27-2006, 12:04 PM
i think the animation is only medicore. I have a lot of respect for animationmentor but I think this short only got frontpage becasue it was out of AM and I don't think it deserved it.

Look dude....Your mail was not friendly at all !! Just look at it!! Look at your language..Do you call it friendly? I do not! It shows all the anger and frustration you have! Your language is extremly rough! This is not a way to critique anyone on a public forum. You're simply harming yourself! This is a place to help people not to discourage them. Its good that you're saying what you feel. But this is not a place to spill your heart. So don't get too emotional. And if he is getting the front page, thats great!! He is not getting the front page because of animationmentor, he is getting it because of his awesome animation skills. If you can't encourage....just dont discourage! You wanna help Brandon get better in his animation, suggest him something POSITIVELY! And please stop making sarcastic comments!

Thanks.

pearl3d
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
really nice work..funny character!!!

philippeduvin
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeahhh Brandon , rock on man, I love your short.

I keep singing you " i guess it would be nice, if i could touch your bodyyyyy, and not...'

It's stuck into my mind since for months :)

hahaha AM RULESssssssssss !

and for Maninflash, congrats on your tutorial on "how to give a non constructive and totally personnal opinion " on this awesome short.

Zorrino
09-27-2006, 12:59 PM
The animation is excellent, nothing to critique. Go ahead with your next short!

EVIL
09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I love the animation, top notch.. the editing is great to.. altho some shots are a tad to slow in my oppnion.. its ag reat animation, unfortionatly the rendering and sounds are a bit weak.. but because of the great animation base those 2 things aren'bt really a problem.. and it already gives it a good base.. so a tad better lighting, and sounds might make it REALLY cool.

another thing, I am of oppinion that everyone should have the freedom to say what they want, positive or negative.. everyone is biased and one the more then the other and if everyone would be to 'fanboyish' even in its weakest form about a piece or animation whenever one make a crit wich is more negative then positive then they are swarming all over him screaming blasphemy!

I have seen mutch better animations on the front page then this one and honestly, I to think it does not deserver there.

man in flash might have done better indeed to hide his tone more but I have seen mutch harcher and mutch more unnessesary comments made on this board.. filled with horrible english and alot of swearing and ****ing that I am suprised he didnt walked made some one pregnant with it on the way. so I'd rather see post's like him then another "WOW cool awesome" post.

but again thats my oppinion..

overal, great animation, average lighting and sound. I think if you worked on those things this animation can really come alive. I'd hope to see more from you!

PS the colors are a bit pale, don't know if it was intentional.

Nux
09-27-2006, 01:07 PM
ha ha, loved it! made me laugh, thought the acting of the wee mite was fantastic! five.

mgarward
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
What codec did you use? And where could I download it so I can see the movie?

Brandon mentioned it was h.264 compression so you will need QuickTime 7 to watch it, I believe.

Wilson-3d
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Great work.
I really enjoyed the ending and did not see it coming.

disrupt
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Thank you so much for all the comments! I really appreciate people telling me what could be improved. This short was done for one purpose only, and that is to help me get a job as an animator. So I didn't spend much time at all on the lighting or rendering or sounds. Maybe I should have just left it as a playblast so it wouldn't show off my bad lighting skills, ha ha. And maybe I should have posted a version with a frame counter. It has had a frame counter for the past 4 months and now I wanted to call it "finished" so I rendered it and took the frame counter off.

As far as the style, I really wanted to avoid a Tex Avery style of crazy "off model" squashes and stretches. I feel that is almost a whole new artform of animation and I haven't explored that yet. Maybe in the future. I was just going for a style and timing that felt right to me.

I feel like I have blinders on to this animation. Staring at this for the past 24 weeks I can't tell what's good and what's not any more. So I appreciate all your comments. It is always good to have fresh eyes take a look.

Oh, yes someone asked about the codec. It is H .264 so you will need QT 7 I believe. And I just put one up that is .mpg it should work for anyone else who can't see a QT I think. Thanks for taking al look!

Darknessseeker0
09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Congrats on getting to the front page, you deserve it!

kgaulin
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
HAHAHA...very nice. I liked it!

hakanpersson
09-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Very nice film.
Everything with it is AT LEAST good.
I think story evolved as the movie progressed, maybe not hilarious, but fun to make me smile and enjoy it. Rendering was well enough for this sort of pure animation-reel/short movie.

Think animation was very good. No crits whatsoever on the human, in fact it was perfect. But your maincharacter was rather expressionless thru the movie, i lacked sometimes that he swithed between moods more clear, like "determined" "happy" "sad". He had this, but it could be more of it.

Anyways i like you animation style alot. It didnt "float" between poses in heavy arcs like typical disney-inspired animation mostly do, which made the characters seem more alive to me.

Keep up the good work. 4 stars from me

/Håkan

BartokDesign
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
great film , I agree with Gemorat.
congrats.

SePu
09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
hey Brandon ... nice job ... I like the animation and the story ...
keep it up !

Pascaru
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
awesome short.

don't worry about the lighting, when applying for an animation position, people rarely say "oh, his lighting skills are not that good" ... so unless it's very bad and it bothers the viewer, you don't have to worry about it, and nothing popped out in your video.

great animation job, and great overall job!
keep it up.

TinTinloveInzaghi
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
IT IS SO INTERESTING!!
nice work!:thumbsup:

Bhunt
09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
very nice i think someone mentioned the weight of the jumps by the mite being the best animated and i think that part was done very well i enjoyed the whole thing

davidchiu
09-27-2006, 05:32 PM
yeah !! one more time I impressed for the AM work.
Congratulations Brandon :thumbsup: !!!

David U.Chiu

harmonic01
09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
That was awesome. Animation was great and I love how he tried to pretend to be a ship at the end. heh heh. :thumbsup:

mdee
09-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Very funny story, my daughter liked it (me too), thats what counts the most! Animation is very good as well.

p.s. when the white guy holds the bottle (around 28 sec), his left arm is a bit IKish... like pinned in the air, you know what I mean.

ratatat
09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
absolutely wonderful... favorite part is following his first bite from ship and the enjoyment on his face. great job story telling and getting this put together.
5 stars here. :applause:

PabloG
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, really nice!!! 5 stars!

shmooel
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I bet you are working on some killer titles at Sony.

snwbrdn7
09-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Brandon,

Top notch. I can see that Animation Mentor is producing some great students. Keep it up my friend.:thumbsup:

living_for_cg
09-27-2006, 09:02 PM
very nice idea and also animation...>:thumbsup:. i like it so much... *****:)

telliott
09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Congrats on front page Brandon. Well deserved, if you ask me. You short looks great!

gingamonkey
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Great work Brandon.

Love some of the little nuances you've got in there - the little guy's character really comes across.

I'd echo the sentiments raised earlier...Don't worry about lighting and rendering, it's good enough for what you're trying to achieve - If you're looking for a job as an animator, it should be pretty much irrelevant to your prospective employer.

And in reply to some of the harsher posts, you've obviously put a lot of time and effort into this piece - it's a great little short, which is well worthy of a front page link (in my humble opinion). ;)

Good luck for the future dude.

skurge13
09-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Howdy, Brandon! Nice work on the animation. I like your character designs too, they're very appealing. I have the hardest time trying to make nice looking characters. I don't know if I can really make specific crits to the animation itself as I'm a lousy animator and you're much better than I am, but I'll throw some stuff out there and see what you think of it.

Let's see...when he takes the first bite I was surprised that it wasn't done in a more exaggerated form, but then the animation progresses and clearly shows that he's not enjoying himself and then it made sense to me (good job on that by the way). But I think you can avoid that initial confusion by strengthening the first pose when we see him. What if you cock is head to his left, have him staring blankly in front of him, maybe that would show right away that he's not happy. He could then glance sadly down, look up again, then squeeze his eyes shut as he bites to show that he's not enjoying this. I know this is very nitpicky, but since this is the very first shot I think it's important to make his mood immediately obvious. Hopefully this wouldn't add much time because keeping the pace tight is important.

Speaking of pace, I think the bit where the man blows and brushes some dust away should be removed. I think it adds unnecessary length and what I think it cool about your animation here is that as soon as we see the man, it's obvious that he's proud of his bottle ship. So that says it once, then you say it again with the brushing, then you say it again when he looks at it proudly after he's put it down, then again with the adjusting, and again when he stares at it as he leaves...I just think it's too much and that scene is a bit long.

In the next shot, maybe I'm crazy, but there's just something about this camera angle I don't like. Would it be better if it were rotated a bit so his pov is closer to the camera? I don't know...am I the only one who it bothers?

The other thing is when he's jumping at the bottle opening, it just seems a bit too floaty here. Maybe compress the whole thing a bit, or remove a frame or two as he's coming in and out of the shot? The desperate grasping looks cool though. But could it be improved by adding more arcs into the feet and hands here? It looks like they're going mostly up and down. What if you make his feet go in circles as if he were on a bicycle? Maybe have one arm make a complete circle somewhere in there (and really twist the back and shoulders to the opposite side as he does so)?

And the part where he lifts the pencil, his right arm is bent at the elbow, making the pencil look pretty light to me. Maybe straighten that arm and drop his shoulder to show the weight a bit more.

The first time I saw the pencil bend that much I was surprised. Maybe it's because the rest of your animation doesn't use really exaggerated cartoony stuff (as you mentioned in your reply) so this doesn't seem to fit. And if the pencil had bent that much, wouldn't there be more follow through, more bend to the opposite angle? And wouldn't the pencil fall faster, "pushed" by the whiplash effect? Having it bend that much only to fall very slowly felt really wrong to me. In the whole animation this pencil jump bit bothered me the most. I REALLY like the idea that someone else here posted, that there's a pause as the pencil bends back, and then, "whap!", it whiplashes forward, catapulting him into the bottle. Or what if you keep the pencil mostly straight, just bend it a wee bit, give it barely enough energy to stand up straight, so he has to jump off the tip, grap the lip of the bottle with his hands, swing around a bit, and yank himself up? If you keep the catapult thing, what if you put a camera inside the bottle pointing out as he flies in, that might be a neat angle. And when the pencil hits the ground, I think it should bounce more times, and faster. Do you have The Incredibles on DVD? There's a bit there where Bob is at his desk and his pencils are knocked over, falling to the ground. I bet I've watched that part in slo-mo ten times it's so damn good. Such a small little detail, but it was done so well it looked like it was mo-capped from real pencils.

I think you've got an original little story here and a nice animation, and it's only a matter of time before you get a job, bro. Congrats in advance!

SamChen
09-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Bravo! This got a laugh out of me.. and that's kinda rare... since I'm a jaded old fart of an animator. :wise: I think you got the most important things down.. which is the appeal, the charm, the humor, and the entertainment value. We can all sit here and dissect your animation frame by frame until it's academically textbook perfect.. and guess what.. who knows.. it might then accidentally shave off some of the imperfections that made this piece so charming. Great expressions and holds!

Big thumbs up my brother!

Shreds
09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Brandon,
I agree with everyone here, well mostly everyone. I think you did an awesome job on your short and it was enjoyable watching it progress! Good job dude and congrats on front page.

sachin3d
09-28-2006, 06:53 AM
really very good work. i liked the story and animation looked good too. keep it up man.

joker0720
09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
This came out awesome! I suprised I never saw this on Animatoin Mentor's site... (I'm a student there too)... I'm only in Class3 right now =( But I'm quickly learning, and I'm sure to put my stuff up here when I get good enough :)

CantiCooly
09-28-2006, 07:37 PM
This was a great job. You did a perfect job in giving each character an emotion in just facial features. Keep up the work man.

achavero
09-28-2006, 08:48 PM
This is an excelent job. I love the animation is very nice and funny to watch.

Good luck in the job hunt Brandon.

dunsoner
09-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I like the animation on it...the story was funny....good work man! keep it up!

clockwerkz
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Brandon, my man!!!

Congrats on making front page!!! Dude, your animation totally rocks. I loved watching the progression of it from blocking to finish, and I think it was well done. It definitely deserves front page!

Sean MacNeil
09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
This is a great film Brandon, fun story, awesome execution, and it's so entertaining! Congrats on the front page, you deserve it.

Sean

kasei
09-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Congratulations on a well deserved front page! That was a great short there. I really liked the whole thing and the character is awesome. Lots of cool moments in there like when he pulled down on his antennae. You managed to keep me into the story and it had some nice surprises i wasn't expecting too.

Good Luck with everything!
-Andrew Nielson

Ozgur3d
09-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Nice short, Brandon, you made a first class quality animation. Kick-ass job, indeed.

LoneCanuck
09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Brandon,

Great short. I look forward to hopefully attending classes in Autumn next year.

My only critic or weirdness that I saw is around 36 seconds in, the white character's right hand does this weird shimmer - like motion blur, only the rest of the scene isn't blurred. Don't know if this is the codec/render or if it's actually in your scene (like a in-between key).

Keep using your skills,

LoCK

disrupt
09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
This feedback is fantastic, thanks so much for your comments!

Skurge13 awesome crits man, you are right on with those.

Andrew! Great to hear from you, thanks!

Lone_Canuck Ha ha, you caught me. That was a gimbal wrist flip that I tried to fix but didn't succceed. I tried to hide it, but you still found it. Not sure what can be done with it. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks so much, ALL the comments are really helpful. I wish I could comment on each one, Thanks.

amannin
09-29-2006, 06:35 PM
haha, i love that he grabs the ships sail and pretends to be the ship -- very funny. and now that its been mentioned, yah, the flicker of the wrist does stand out (but i didn't even notice it the first time).

I think the pole-vaulting attempt with the pencil could use some variance and more pop at the end -- but then again it is a pencil -- maybe you could somehow have him grab a different object, one that i apparently can't think of O_o, something with a little more elasticity, so you could get that nice pause, then dramatic fling, rather than the smooth transition you have now.

that said, i think it's otherwise great. what program did you use? for lighting, have you tried using Final Gather? (not that lighting should matter for an animation job, but good to have nonetheless)

byocyde
09-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Nice work man. I especially like the part where he pole volts into the tube. I like the ending. How long did this take you ?

Selpakius
09-29-2006, 08:58 PM
good job man!
I really dig the part when he takes his first slice of the boat :) mmm yummy !

Matt Leishman
09-29-2006, 11:18 PM
hey brandon,

excellent work man. very entertaining. and congrats on the front page action. That recent posting for "animator" from pixar that i've seen on creativeheads.net should be right up your alley my friend! keep up the great work.

-matt

Kanga
09-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Bloody top mate:buttrock:

Pumar
09-30-2006, 11:59 AM
nice little character, you can see his personality clearly, good little story and some funny little momments.

some nice stuff alround here, you should be proud

the bit i liked the most was when he's got into the bottle and he takes his first bit, his body language and face say so much in that momment.

Pitipongp
10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Veerry funny animation! I like it!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.