PDA

View Full Version : Computer Games Interface Design

dell
09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi all

Just looking for people or information on interface design within the games industry. I design a lot of interfaces at work for e-learning packages/CDrom/ & DVD's. But have no idea what sort of workflow or technical knowledge is required within the games industry. Could someone please point me the right direction.

Thank you in adv

PetterSundnes
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
In terms of techincal skills I would say some basic Flash or Director knowledge would do, as its whats normally asked for in most job openings. Some times it is asked for some 3D application knowledge too, but it is mainly Photoshop and Illustrator. Apart from that there seems to be a strong focus on the estetics so a good graphic design background would be beneficial. Traditional HCI knowledge or interaction design isnt asked for much. In most cases it is graphic design on top of an interface that has already been defined by a game designer or programmer. But thats just my humble view on the situation, since I dont work in the games industry (just use the technology for realtime 3d viz).

Check this list and see what you can find under interface design:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/jobs_display.php

Gaboon
09-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I work for 2K Sports largely on the shell (interface) side. We use photoshop and maya. Especially with next gen, more games have 3D looking shells so Maya, Max etc is often used. Graphic design knowledge is helpful but like petterms said a lot is determined by the designer. Very little of my work is in designing the shell unfortunately. Mostly it is about making it work and fixing bugs. It is a largly technical job, and around here anyway, is where a lot of artists cut their teeth and then move on to other aspects of the game. These are only sports titles, so it might be different for other genres. There are strictly interface artists who's skills are soley applied to shell. As far as asthetics, composition and color theory are required to design. A lot if it is simply understanding how to direct the player's eye. Hope that helps.

dell
09-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks Guys

Cheers for the link petterms,

Seems to be a mix of different skill sets, graphics,authoring,3d. I'm just looking at maybe directing my work more towards games. I use 3ds max, AE, Encore, CS2 etc. But I need to gear my portfolio towards games.

Well thanks for all your advise, if anyone has more info please feel free to post.

Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 09:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.