PDA

View Full Version : x-dof results

huck
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone been using x-dof (evasion3D) for XSI 5 yet? There is very little resource on the net about this.

HH

terencemace
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I am also looking for more info about this plugin. If you look on their page, it says X-DOF latest version is from 2004. Would love to know if it really works with XSI5.

T

terencemace
09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Apparently X-DOF has some pretty serious drawbacks, for instance it will not give proper DOF render on refractive objects, OR reflections. I could be wrong, but I remember reading this.

I have seen people recommend frischluft depth of field. (called Lenscare)

T

huck
09-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey terencemace,

You're right about the drawbacks.

http://www.softimage.com/community/discussion_groups/
...or to save the trouble of clicking on the link above, Evasion3D quoted:

"Currently, there some bugs in XSI 5.x and its mr3.4 implementation.
We're waiting for a new patch from SOFTIMAGE, and will update both
versions of XDof (xsi and maya) afterwards."

...it would be nice for them to mention this on Evasion3D's website instead
of selling the product as if its production ready. XDOF rendered with Lighwave
is excellent. I certainly hope they do the bug fix soon, it would help allot
my production. Unfortunately that quote is dated Feb, 2006

hh

CiaranM
09-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Apparently X-DOF has some pretty serious drawbacks, for instance it will not give proper DOF render on refractive objects, OR reflections. I could be wrong, but I remember reading this.

I have seen people recommend frischluft depth of field. (called Lenscare)

T

Frischluft Lenscare will not produce correctly blurred reflections or refractions either. Like X-DOF, it is a post process DOF effect (although X-DOF appears to be more sophisticated) that uses Z-buffer output to blur your image. You may also experience trouble with incorrect blurring of objects at different depths that overlap in the field of view.

Chris-TC
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
X-DOF is available for and compatible with XSI 5, I bought it a couple months back.

This is correct. Evasion's site does state that refractive objects don't produce proper DOF, however there's no mention of reflections not being blurred correctly either. Wish I had known this before buying the plugin.

As for how it works - it's pretty straightforward, but some additional functionality (such as viewport info on how big the DOF is going to be) would be very useful.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.