PDA

View Full Version : Weta to do Silver Surfer

unchikun
09-25-2006, 04:14 PM
20th Century Fox has chosen Academy Award-winning visual effects house Weta Digital to oversee the upcoming film "The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer." The studio tapped Weta to create a state-of-the-art version of the Marvel Comics character Silver Surfer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003156116

danshewan
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM
That's great news - I'm glad they chose such a talented studio to handle the visuals. I just hope that they pay as much attention to the script as they do to the effects.

sconlogue
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
That's cool. I was a big fan of the Comic in the 80's and always thought it would make a sweet film. No reason not to do it now. Though I am a bit dissapointed it's attached to the Fantastic 4 series. I think the silver surfer could handle his own movie. Besides he isn't iceman... he's the silver surfer... super mega powerfull and stuff.... galactic traveller. This will be intersting. It's good news WETA involved.

mech7
09-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Cool i liked the first movie think this one will be good too :) everytime i see silver surfer though i have to think about dexter haha that episode was well funny :D

In the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter%27s_Laboratory), there was a side-story cartoon entitled "Dial M for Monkey", featuring a monkey superhero. In the episode, "Dial M for Monkey: Barbequor", it featured a parody of both Galactus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus) and Silver Surfer as Barbequor, a powerful alien and master of cooking that eats planets, and his partner, the Silver Spooner (who rides a giant silver spoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon)). This episode was removed from broadcast syndication after complaints were made about the "effeminate" and "narcissistic" parody of Silver Surfer.

poly-phobic
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I just hope that they pay as much attention to the script as they do to the effects.

how likely is that?

unchikun
09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Doug Jones (Abe Sapien) is going to play SS, which I think is a terrific matchup. SS is a weird chap, I wonder how he will be portrayed in the movie. Doug Jones is a step in the right direction.

Aug. 21 2006:

"I asked Doug if it was true that he would be playing the Silver Surfer. He told me that the contracts were being signed at this moment and that he was going to begin shooting in Canada here in the next couple of weeks."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/24226

P_T
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I wonder how they're going to adapt the story of a "cosmical being" into the movie. Turn him into an irradiated surfer dude perhaps?

As much as I love the majority of Marvel comics, some characters just won't translate well into a live action movie and I think Silver Surfer is one of them, Namor is another, maybe if they were 3D animated feature it might work.

hiphopcr
09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/chadridgeway/silversurfer.jpg

Look at this picture and imagine how ill-freaky this could be up on the big screen... especially with Weta behind it. Yeah-yuh!

P_T
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Look at this picture and imagine how ill-freaky this could be up on the big screen... especially with Weta behind it. Yeah-yuh!That is a nice drawing but I'm not so sure about some chrome looking cosmic dude riding an equally chrome looking surfboard surfing the cosmic wind in space in a live action movie. Besides, what kind of pose is he going to be in when he's "surfing"?

I just think it will look too cheesy even with Weta working on him but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Matt Leishman
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
my fear is that the fx and animation may suffer only due to the fact that Weta is also ramping up for work on Avatar and Halo. Is their studio even big enough to hold all the artists needed for work on all 3 of those films? too few artists + too many vfx shots on too many vfx movies = suffering vfx (in my humble opinion). I'm just sayin.

lanedaughtry
09-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Hrm,

This was one of my favorite Marvel characters as a kid, back when Ron Lim was drawing.

I think he will be a very difficult character to do justice to and I'll be fairly dissapointed as a fan if they turn him into a human that gets his powers.

But Weta handling it does have some promise. We'll see I guess.

-L

JTD
09-25-2006, 08:07 PM
That is a nice drawing but I'm not so sure about some chrome looking cosmic dude riding an equally chrome looking surfboard surfing the cosmic wind in space in a live action movie. Besides, what kind of pose is he going to be in when he's "surfing"?

I just think it will look too cheesy even with Weta working on him but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

That's true, some things don't translate well, Spiderman being the exception because we all love Spiderman.

But as long as they're going to do Silver Surfer they should update the character. Now it's the Silver X-Gamer. He shows up on his silver motocross bike, enters the atmosphere, skips the silver skateboard and goes straight for the silver roller blades, mixes it up, changes to the silver mountain bike and ends up in a silver coin toss as he's drinking out of a silver kegger. Party ensues.

unchikun
09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
my fear is that the fx and animation may suffer only due to the fact that Weta is also ramping up for work on Avatar and Halo.

I had the same thoughts. SS is definately one of those characters that can steal the show if done right ie. gollum, davy jones etc. I'm sure the movie studio is hoping to spin off SS for his own films so a lot is riding on doing the fx top notch.

This is definately going to be a bit of work since it's fair to assume SS will have shots zipping through the galaxy and lots of power beam destruction etc.

CaptainObvious
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
If this is anything even close to the abysmal quality level of the first Fantastic Four film, I'm going to be upset.

Shaderhacker
09-26-2006, 02:00 AM
My most eagerly anticipated movie next year - just because of the SS! ;)

-M

eliseu gouveia
09-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Fantastic Four is the sort of movie that canīt have the "Singer Treatment", i.e. "tone down the spectacle", "mute the colors", "ground it to reality", "make it more down-to-earth".
No.

Fantastic Four (the name says it all!) is about marveling us (got the pun?), dazzling us with larger than life sights, getting us on the edge of our seat with a glimpse of infinity.

If TPTB ever bothered reading their comic, FF is about a family caught in the middle of space wars. Doomsday devices. Intergalactic planet eaters. Journeys into the Negative Zone. Silver Surfers. 300 feet tall monsters crawling out of the sewers. Robots impersonating people. Vilains encasing New York inside of a dome and lifting it into orbit.

You canīt "ground" these types of stories without stealing their magic.
Itīd be like filming a Peter Pan movie where the Boy Who Never ages canīt fly.

Fantastic Four deserves the Raimi Treatment, not the Singer Treatment.

dunkelzahn
09-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Whooo, letīs hope they donīt mess up with this one. The problem I see, is that the SS ainīt your average kind of superhero. Heīs a tragic figure, forever barred from returning his home planet and seeing his beloved one, as well as being a peacuful guy that needs to serve the Planet-Eater Galactus. Also, heīs not just powerful, this guy goes one step beyond. Anyway, letīs hope for the best...

Chris

Ed Bittner
09-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Hrm,

This was one of my favorite Marvel characters as a kid, back when Ron Lim was drawing.

-L

Wow. when I was a kid, Jack ( The KING ) Kirby was drawing him.
E.

Apoclypse
09-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I always thought he was a rather silly character with a great backstory. If they had designed him without the surf board I think he woul be rather cool, but he wouldn't be as novel I guess.

ice-boy
09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
i have a bad feeling aboutthat. i think that with this kind of budget they just can not have a CGI character in the movie. look at Colossus in x3. it was good. it was not the best but it was good for the scenes that they used him. but having silver surfer to look like that without clothes ? hmmmmmmm.

i

Spin99
09-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Let's see what WETA comes up with :)

ice-boy
09-26-2006, 09:21 PM
it doesnt matter if wetta is making the effects. its about who is directing,studio,the budget and the time.

kmest
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
az ice-boy told sooner its not important who is making the effects...WETA worked on Xmen 3 on dark phoenix destruction sequences.....technicauly it was amazing but visualy,the directore ruined everything,,,,im sure if directores like raimi.cameron,bay,jackson,emmerich or verhoefen worked on those shots,they could be realy lager than life...

so yes if they go the way they went with first FF movie,this will be a crapi film...rmember how they ruined DR. DOOM???silver surfur is no exeption

webhead
10-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Weta doing the effects for the Silver Surfer in FF2 may not guarantee that the movie will be a good one, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. yes, sir!

unchikun
10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I guess you can't have SS without Galactus:

"The giant, planet-devouring character Galactus will appear towards the end of the Fantastic Four sequel."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3560205

I hope they update his outfit. He kinda looks a bit like Magneto.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.