PDA

View Full Version : export an animation from maya to softimage??..how?

yolao
09-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi.

Well, i`m relatively new to rigging and animation, but the few things that i know in that area are in maya....the thing is that i absolutely love to render in MR in softimage (even though maya has MR as well)...

Well, my question is, can i export an animation from maya to render in softimage?...i`m not talking about to export the rigs and all that stuff, i just want to apply all the materials, set up the lights and all the render settings in softimage and render there.

thanks
Cheers:)

JakCarver
09-26-2006, 04:50 AM
honestly i dont think its possible, unless theres a super plugin somwhere, but as far as I know no such utility exists. you might be able to use Collada 1.4 to do this though, might be your best bet; though I doubt it would work but wouldnt hurt to try.

Sbowling
09-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Point oven might work for this, but I've never really used it.

bardakos
09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
pointoven works great i havent tried tho with xsi just LW<=>Maya<=>Messiah

there is also stuff that i havent tried under production like :

fbx,collada,Okino Polytrans (never tried them)
of course since u are rendering in MR i think that you should be able to export a mib file
somehow... (?)

ofcourse if it is something simple and easy why not try exporting an obj sequence...\
it works with Houdini....

yolao
09-26-2006, 01:07 PM
thanks a lot guys for the great help, yes, i have heard lots of great things about point oven, i visit their website and i download the softimage plugins

http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/PointOven_Downloads.html

but are this demos or what, i mean i haven`t installed yet..?

Bardakos, yes i though in exporting the frames each as an obj, but how can i render a secuence of obj in xsi?.....

thanks again:)

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 01:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.