PDA

View Full Version : Very Funny short 1 minute cg film

Dorian71
09-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I've completed a CG short animated film and would love some feedback. It's called "Fetch" and has been short listed for the Tiscali award at the Raindance Film Festival in London.

To see Fetch cut and past the line below into your web browser:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainm...dance_comp.html (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/shortfilms/raindance_comp.html)

The Raindance film festival has put all 4 short listed films on line for the duration of the festival so that the public can vote for their favourite.

Take a look, it's under two minutes and is guaranteed to at least make you smile.

I look forward to hearing what you all think.

Best wishes,

Dana Dorian

GoGoMango
09-26-2006, 03:51 AM
The Links not working for me

AndrewChang
09-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Hi! That was pretty funny, and your animations are very smooth and snappy at the same time. It was entertaining to watch and I hope you do well with it.

For some reason the link he posted included some unnecessary stuff. This link should work:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/shortfilms/raindance_comp.html

Dorian71
09-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Thank you Andrew for fixing my link. Here is a still from Fetch, hopefully it will encourage more people to see it.

mstram
09-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Thank you Andrew for fixing my link. Here is a still from Fetch, hopefully it will encourage more people to see it.

Is there a direct link to the .mov / .avi ?

Mike

Dorian71
09-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Hello Mike,

The movie is not available to download at this time because it is doing the festival circuit. The only reason it's online now is because it has been short listed, and part of the voting takes place online. I plan to make it available to download next summer, so unless you see it at a festival, this will be your only chance to see it for a while.

Dana

theflash
10-03-2006, 11:34 AM
It was a big jerky on my slow internet, but I liked it. Esp characters are really cool and expressive. Very nice.

QNL
10-03-2006, 01:35 PM
That was pretty funny indeed! I laughed!

Good work :thumbsup: man I love the soundeffects of when he ducks and moves his body!

very good put in

Ramteen
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM
hey man .I wanna say Nice . the idea is good also . I like it . but you could pay youre attention on colors more than this . Im saying it because I love this clip and I really would like you to make it more attractive . simply nice . cheers :D:D:d

QNL
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
i like the vid.. but the idea ^ is kinda stolen you know.. its not really original...

Dorian71
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
True, the idea of stealing something like a purse and giving it to someone else so that they get framed for a crime that they haven't committed isn't an original idea.

But when you introduce a sausage dog, a mallet, a golf club, and a chainsaw into the story it helps spice up an old joke.

For me the fact that it's funny is proof enough that although it is based on an old joke, it still retains a certain amount of originality.

Dana

QNL
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Im working on a movie myself with a very original idea hehehe

Its just that everything is okey.. but people will look at it one time.. and then never will anymore..

its not original.. it has something that is a little original.. but thats like.. what? 5 percent?

It made me laugh yeah.. and the graphics and animation are very cool..

but for my feeling.. it still misses something...

Its not original.. sorry.. i dont want to hurt you or sumthing.. and i dont like to critic.. but its just not original..

for the rest its all fine.... i mean a dog that hates his master and is mocking him and getting him in trouble is something very old..

just like Garfield..

Ajouz
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
That was clever i like it. Good luck with the competition.

Dorian71
10-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I'd like to respond to QNL's comments on originality.

These are only my opinions, and I understand that not everyone will agree with me, but I think these days almost everything is derivative of something else and it is almost impossible to be truly original. And if you do manage to create something truly original that doesn't mean it's going to be good.

In my experience people who strive to be original above all else tend to forget the basic rules of story telling and inevitably confuse and disengage the audience they are trying so hard to impress.

Certainly they're are exceptions, but with a little research even those exceptions can quickly become derivative of something that has come before them.

You also have to remember that what might not be original to one person may be completely new to another. I guess what I'm trying to say is that originality is over rated.

Personally my goal as a director is to engage the viewer. If a viewer has an emotional response to my work and can relate to the characters I've created, then I've done my job well.

I'd be very interested to see or hear more about your very original film, so that I can gauge what you feel originality is.

Best wishes,
Dana

Creature
10-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Agreed Dorian.

And actually I find this not just funny but VERY funny as the thread title states. If it were for download I'd downloaded it and put it in my "Animations to keep" folder.

I very much like the expression on the dogs face and I really wasn't anticipating that he comes back with a purse. It's not that I could say "Yeah, I knew this was coming". So even though handing a purse over to make someone look like he took it might have been done before I think this idea is original in the context of the short movie. Or I just haven't seen the "orginal" to this one :)

Nevertheless I hope that it wins on whatever festival it runs and when it's ready to download please post a notice here. (maybe a higher resolution version?)

And P.S. I really dig the dogs facial expression :D

QNL
10-04-2006, 02:23 AM
You guys win.. ^

the man gets cheated by his dog and an old lady beats him to death..

thats just hilarious.. i really laughed my ass off.... i mean it.. hahahahaaa!!

i mean it seriously.. i nearly died of laughing.. looking at this sure beats the hell out of garfield... while its actually precisely the same only its a cat in garfield...

but i still laugh my ass off.. hahahaha.. did i already told u i nearly died of laughing?

oh yeah..

ha ha ha ha!! This is just way to funny!! ha ha ha ha!

ha...

mediaramas
10-04-2006, 06:50 AM
I love the style, specially the attitude of the dog, I live similar situations at the park every day with my dog, so it was specially funny in my own case

congrats!!

bernoccoli
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
dog`s characterization is great, i liked it so much. and.. i must admit i`ve had a laugh when he finally decides to go for the stick.

Capn_Camo
10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Cute story mate: simple and to the point, and a chainsaw as an added bonus! bam! In the end I feel that the dog could have been a little MORE animated instead of just the "what..." expression all the time, but aside from that it all works nicely.

Top Notch :buttrock:

P.S - Best of luck in the competition.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.