PDA

View Full Version : Tablets question

Strider_X
01-31-2003, 04:03 PM
I am looking for a new tablet and the Aiptek HyperPen 12000U caught my attention. They seam to be the best bang for the buck. Are there better tablets or is this a good choice.

jscott
01-31-2003, 04:36 PM
I don't know dude. I haven't purchased one yet. Been looking around a bit. Everything I've read basically says you are taking a chance getting anything other than a Wacom.

If I remember right Wacom's cheaper series the Graphire has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity like the Aiptek. The better Wacoms called Inutos have 1024 levels of pressure sensivity and come with a nicer pen.

You still get what you pay for. You could try the Aiptek out and send/bring it back if you don't like it.

-jscott

kwshipman
01-31-2003, 06:36 PM
I have an Aiptek 6*8, and its nothing special. Dont get me wrong, it works well, The mouse part sucks beyond beleif, so dont consider replacing you mouse. I am sure that Wacoms are better although more expensive. But If you are going to be using this for your work deffinatly go for the Wacom. I just have mine to play with.

thesaint
02-01-2003, 09:21 PM
i have that exact tablet here at my home.

Mmmmm, well, it works OK, but i find it glitches often enough to have me put it away for extended periods.

But it was good value for the periods between glitches.

EvilE
02-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I have an Wacom and an Aiptek here and i would say that the Wacom is really worth the way higher price ( you can for shure draw with the aiptek but one try on a wacom and you wont want to touch the aiptek anymore ).

EE

Astro_13oy
02-02-2003, 06:10 AM
I've been using my 6x8 Aiptek for one solid year now. It's not bad as a pointing device, but not great for drawing or digital painting. (but it does get the job done, better than a mouse)

Here's what I've experienced with my aiptek: My first pen broke after about 6 months. ($10 us, replacement. Not too expensive) Having to change the batteries is kind of a pain. Now either my replacement pen is broken or the tablet is starting to break. Sometimes the tablet just won't detect that the pen is there. It's starting to happen more and more now.

I've noticed that the price of the Wacom Intuos 6x8 has come down in price by $50 in stores and online it's only $300. Everyone seems to say that wacoms are indestructable so the way I see it is, spend the money now and save on not having to buy a new one in a year or two (like me :) )

Hope that was useful info
-Astro13oy

thesaint
02-02-2003, 09:12 PM
i have to say i agree. I use a Wacom at work and i really like it. The pens feel great for balance, weight and size and it all just works the way it should.

They are tons more money but you can always search ebay for a bargain!

dvornik
02-02-2003, 11:19 PM
I am unable to make Wacom Intuos (1 and 2) work without random accidental cursor jumps in Win2k and I kind of hate it for that. And it's not the jumps caused by interference, which is a separate problem. If it didn't jump it would be exellent.

Peter Reynolds
02-03-2003, 05:06 AM
I've found the Wacom Intuos 1 & 2 to be brilliant on both mac and pc, including win2k. Just make sure you have the latest drivers installed. And if you do have issues, report it to Wacom. I've found they're very responsive and fast to update their drivers and iron out bugs as quick as they can.

PS - I don't work for Wacom
PSS - But if any one from Wacom would like to sponsor me with free tablets ,etc, I won't say no

ambient-whisper
02-04-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by dvornik
I am unable to make Wacom Intuos (1 and 2) work without random accidental cursor jumps in Win2k and I kind of hate it for that. And it's not the jumps caused by interference, which is a separate problem. If it didn't jump it would be exellent.
there could be a few reasons for this
1.) outdated driver
2.) your wacom could be too close to the monitor.
3.) or try to get the cable away from any thick cables. ( like in the case of my external soundcard..you dont want to run the wacom cable near the thick ass hercules soundcard cable. itll make the cursor twitch.

dvornik
02-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Over the years I've tried everything on many computers with many tablets. I try every new driver as soon as it comes out. Wacom support was able to resolve some issues and Intuos2 resolved some interference problems, but it's still far from perfect.

ambient-whisper
02-05-2003, 12:35 AM
maybe you have a defective wacom? i mean i really dont get any twitches..:/

dvornik
02-05-2003, 03:02 AM
None at all? Thing is, I've had both intuos 1 and 2 USB myself and we have a dozen of serial ones at work. I tried to troubleshoot them many times, but I kind of gave up by now. At home I suspected dual monitor issues, but at work it's just single monitors and all at default settings.

Do you use it in pen or mouse mode and do you use any special mapping and tool settings for different applications? I like mouse mode myself.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.