PDA

View Full Version : Project 2

BenEoff
09-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Hi everyone! This will be my 2nd piece for my portfolio, still loads to do, but that you all might like to see and maybe give me your thoughts so far?
http://beneoff.com/images/ugly/ugly1small.jpg

nibbuls
09-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Love it. :D Keep going!

Squirmy
09-25-2006, 04:25 AM
There is tons of detail in the front and the back looks neglected somewhat. the adams apple looks strange, and might have a seem or something. Its got a man head and female chest? Looks pretty dam good overall just want to give some feedback.

tin-tin
09-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Cool character nice sculpt of the head, I have to see where your going with this, very interesting.

WesleyTack
09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Thats an awesome design, i'm loving it, can't wait to see the texturing on this thing!

BenEoff
09-27-2006, 01:40 AM
http://beneoff.com/images/ugly/ugly2.jpg
Here's an update, back claws will be modeled later.

NinjaMax
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
you use Zbrush ?

pongstah
09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
wow exellent design! i love the centaurlike anatomy. The front legs look a bit strange and unatural though other than that everything else looks great.:)

AlessandroArdolino
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
really a great work!
congratulations and complete the model as fast as you can! :)
we want to see!

BenEoff
10-02-2006, 01:48 AM
http://beneoff.com/images/ugly/ugly3.jpg
Wish my texture work was comparible to my modeling work, and I mean that in the most humble of ways. Here "it" is, would love to hear what you guys think.
Thanks a bunch for the replies!

blacker
10-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Seems like it needs more color variation and saturation. Tight model though. I'd add a lot of cool colors to it. The shadows seem to use only black to darken, but if you had more saturation and a little color instead of just black it would pop more.. make your highlights pop a little more too.

Slythis
10-03-2006, 12:44 AM
holy crap thats sick man, fantastic work so far, i can't wait to see this finished!!!
The texture is flat, like said previously, add some depth make is pop some more, turn off the lights in the scene so you can see it in its true nature and really add shadow where you think you need it....i think your gonna nail this one head on man!
Really great work so far!

BenEoff
10-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. Redoing the texture. I actually rushed the textures the first time around cause I wanted to get my portfolio up, but I think they are going much better this time around.http://www.beneoff.com/images/ugly/ugly4.jpg
Still lots of to do of course.
I should also say that there is no specular here.

thrawn83
10-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi, fantastic model, very cool design!
I'm working on my portfolio as well right now and one of the guidelines I read everywhere was: "stick with what you are best in"
Your second texture looks much better than the first attempt, but the quality is still far from supporting your model. The modeling and the normalmap are way superior and look absolutely stunning, it's just suffering from the texture right now.
My adwise would be, keep it flatshaded. In your portfolio show the progression:
Highpoly source mesh --> flatshaded lowpoly --> normalmap --> flatshaded with applied normalmap.
I don't think anyone would mind, you're a modeler not a texture artist. Improve you're texturing abilities during next year and have some kickass textured models in your '07 portfolio... I hope you don't mind, no offense intended :)
If you do want to stick with the texture use a specularmap and a specular colormap on it.
That should give certain parts a slimy look and make the human skin parts look more alive.

BenEoff
10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the honesty thrawn, and I whole heartedly agree with you. However I'm still going to texture it because I do need the practice, and my portfolio shows that my strengths are in the hi rez modeling area by placing those pieces first. Also as noted above, just because there is no spec map shown, doesn't mean that I won't be doing one. I'm also aware that the specular map is where I'm going to get the most out of my texture. So no worries, I'm not offended, but do need the practice in that area, the more I can do, the less expendable I become(hopefully).

thrawn83
10-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Glad you don't mind,
I just looked through your work on your website... very impressive modeling skills, I recognized some it from Kolby's forum.
I assume you are working in mudbox already?
I really dig your modeling abilities. I just can't gt my head around how you come up with the designs and how you achieve this level of detail. You don't seem to do a lot of paper sketch referencing, do you? Or do you just brush away in mudbox?

regards
Jens.

BenEoff
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey, thrawn, glad you like my stuff. I actually use zbrush, and pull everything into xsi for screen grabs and what not. I don't like the way zbrush viewport looks. Wish I had mudbox, it's impressive stuff, but I've applied for beta like 4 times, nothing at all yet. I never do any sketching anymore unless I'm at work, and even then it's just so I don't start sucking too bad at it. I gave a pretty lengthy breakdown of how I work in my Batou thread, I'll paste it here.
Personally I do a very quick proportioned "stick" figure model, kinda like you would gesture on paper, using strips of polys. This helps me get that initial "feeling" of the character's pose. Even though it is just a standard rig pose, I like to think that it feels lose and natural. That's due to the process above, and it actually helps me to maintain an image of the character in my mind, and keeps it fun to work on. Using a combonation or poly-by-poly and box modeling I then finish up the base mesh for the organic areas (sometimes this will be good enough to use as a base for the low poly as well). I take the base mess into my sculpting package and go to town on it until the character is roughed out enough to where I feel comfortable making the accessories for it. This is usually still pretty low res, and very quick as doing the accessories will most likely mean deleting some of the original base geometry so I can optimize for maximum detail later on. Bringing the model back into my 3d app I start poly-stripping in the clothing accessories pretty much the same way I started my base mesh, by defining the contour/sillouette first, and then building up the form. This usually takes a bit of time as most clothing accessories are a combonation of organic and inorganic features, and I have to juggle with the detail of the inorganic bits while keeping in the back of my mind that the organic bits will be sculpted. Also if my mind explodes because I don't know what I want to do next, I'll print screen and pull it into photoshop and do paint overs. When I'm done with the accessories I save them all out to seperate obj's and bring them into my sculpting package and go to town until the sculpt is done. I'm always careful to keep lower res versions available as it makes my retopping a lot easier. I bring the lower res sculpt, which has all the form but hardly any detail into my 3d app and from there it's just a matter of either building a low res from scratch or manipulating the orginal base mesh around until it's all done. Unwrap, bake, bake, bake, bake, paint, paint, paint, and done. All the while I'm herassing you blokes for comments and critiques, cause I really want a job in the industry, and my only option right now is to make the best damn portfolio I can and cross my fingers.

thrawn83
10-03-2006, 03:57 PM
thank you, that was very insightful.
I can't believe you don't have a job already.
Best of luck for your jobhunt, although you shouldn't have any problems finding opportunities once your portfolio is done!

requiem2d
10-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Very cool, keep it up :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 07:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.