PDA

View Full Version : Limited Time Only: Vista 5728 Available To The Public

RobertoOrtiz
09-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Quote:
"This build (5728) has a number of improvements and updates from RC1, but has not been put through the same internal testing process as RC1 and therefore may be unstable in certain installations. We are making this release available for a limited time only (and only by download) in order to get broad distribution and testing in a variety of PC configurations. Please note: This build may not have the same level of support or servicing via Windows Update, and you may not be able to upgrade to the final version of Windows Vista. To continue, please use the links below to start the download. Otherwise, please click here to access the download for Windows Vista RC1 (build 5600) (http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm)."

>>LINK<< (http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download-5728.htm)

-R

Spin99
09-24-2006, 03:27 PM
The main reason I haven't updated to Vista Beta yet is being worry some about OpenGL performance. There's no use for me to have an OS with preetty windows if it doesn't run my most useful applications fast.

If anyone can testify this Vista release runs OpenGL as fast as XP I'm interested :)

Velk
09-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Spin99, I would caution you to only load this on a test machine as this is basically test software. Definitely don't load this on a production box of any kind.

bluemagicuk
09-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Whats the catch apart from it being beta?

Is there a time limit?

tuna
09-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Whats the catch apart from it being beta?

Is there a time limit?

Yeah it runs out around January or February.

[edit] Okay, corrected by posters below:)

skello
09-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Will be great to know if anyone gets it to install on a mac.

Hunter
09-24-2006, 07:42 PM
The website says it will expire in june 2007.

Saurus
09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
What happens after it expires? Can I go back to XP with all drivers and accounts in place?

saurus

salmonmoose
09-25-2006, 01:30 AM
No.

Vista isn't backwards compatible - The expectation is that by June you will have had time to buy a retail version and shift across to that.

Fredl
09-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Spin99, I would caution you to only load this on a test machine as this is basically test software. Definitely don't load this on a production box of any kind.

I just want to emphasize that again.

It's beta software, even though it's been titled "RC". It's widely considered not to be ready for prime time. Things can go wrong.

I don't know why we're promoting beta operating systems.

If you want it, get it next year when it's released, and hopefully has the bugs fixed.

Spin99
09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
@ Fredl, Velk

Thanks for the information.
Actually the reason that's keeping me from installing is still the one above :)
I'm not confident that OpenGL will run efficiently.

Otherwise if I was a 2D artist I'd probably be running it now?
Just check your drivers first?
What a treat :)

cookepuss
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm running it right now. Rock solid. I've been beating the hell out of it and I haven't had a crash yet. Here are my observations so far.

PRO:
- The new Windows Firewall is highly customizable. You can block ports, incoming, outbound, apps, create customized rules, etc.. Much better than the XP "firewall".
- Look at the pretty colors & fx. ;)
- Lots of little security features here & there to keep newbies safe
- IE7 is better than I thought
- Networking is improved. Vista detected & setup my home network automatically

CON:
- Some drivers/hardware won't work without update. My HP scanner & HP printer are automatically doa
- Windows Firewall is only customizable if you know where to look for the settings. Newbies won't.
- Way too many garbage services loaded by default, which causes it to hog RAM. Thankfully, you can still disable non-essential services.

Spin99
09-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Anyone willing to share the OpenGL experience on the new release?

cookepuss
09-26-2006, 09:54 PM
OGL support did seem to be in place. I ran Cinema 4D R9 in it just fine. Naturally, since the OS is still in beta, performance does lag behind what one would expect. This probably won't be an issue for long, as performance typically improves with each release.

NVidia does have Vista compatible beta drivers on their site. Performance was less of a problem with them, but the driver stability was not exactly stellar. With those beta drivers, some apps locked up pretty quickly. Again, expect that to change as Vista nears release.

RAM-wise, Vista's a beast. Because of those aforementioned services, the OS can easily chew up 1GB in a standard installation. Trimming back services & leaving visual enhancements intact brings your RAM usage to ~700MB. Disabling them lowers RAM usage a bit more, but not to XP levels. At "rest", XP consumes ~250MB on my machine. Optimized, Vista's doubling that requirement. At least.

Running Vista with less than 1GB would be pretty adventurous. For optimal performance, I feel that every Vista worthy PC should have 2GB. Artists are definitely gonna want more - not that we don't already. :) You should really expect Vista to eat away at RAM quicker than Star Jones at an all you can eat buffet.

Spin99
10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
@ cookepuss

Thanks for sharing ;)

Yeh I've been through the screen tour and it shows that MS has been hard at work?
Looks like a huge upgrade full of utilities and easter eggs.
Lots of Candy also, seen the gadgets and i WANT them!

Wishing for good all round OpenGl performance so I can get it for my next machine here :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.