PDA

View Full Version : advice or tutorial

Robert Glotzbach
09-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to model a handle voor a bike (see image).
I thought best is to use a cube in a HyperNURBS, but I'm strugling to get the shape right.
Would like to hear how you would aproach this, or maybe you can direct me to a tutorial which describe's how to create this sort of forms.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards, Robert

Vozzz
09-24-2006, 10:36 AM
The closest thing i know of is at http://cinema4d.deviantart.com if you do the coke can tut, you should get an idea of how to do the handle. It's actually rather similar.

Cheers

vid2k2
09-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to model a handle voor a bike (see image).
I thought best is to use a cube in a HyperNURBS, but I'm strugling to get the shape right.
Would like to hear how you would aproach this, or maybe you can direct me to a tutorial which describe's how to create this sort of forms.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards, Robert

Hi Robert,
Hmmm, I'd use a sub divided cylinder and pull points and polys to suit your example.
Yes, you can modify a cube as well with edge weighting and a HN cage.
Another way is to lathe the shape with the ridges and delete half the shape. Then,
squish the shape for width and length. Finish by adding a half cyl.
Another way is to loft the shape with several circular and oval shape splines.

Hope that helps, David

ernia
09-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi,

You might also try using a rail spline in a sweep nurbs. Duplicate your original spline that you are using to sweep along and place it as the third child of the sweep nurbs. You'll have to move it off the exact position of the original spline and then you'll see something. Then just move the points in this duplicated spline to make the finger bumps.

ernia

Robert Glotzbach
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Thank you all for the reply’s.

@ Vozzz, I looked at the tutorial and realized that maybe I was not clear enough with my question. This is the first time that I’m trying to create a shape as this, so from Maxon’s “Duck Race Tutorial” I know how to make some organic shapes but here in particular I found it hard to have the finger bumps as they appear in the picture.

@ David, Its funny I actually started off with a loft NURBS but I made a mess of it. Now it occurs to me that I approached the loft as a sweep NURBS, so I got the splines all wrong and simply gave up.
Now after playing a little further it seems that a loft gives me pretty nice control.

@ Ernia, I tried a sweep but the problem is that when I try to create a finger bump, it appears at tree sides perpendicular of the rail and path spline. I would like to have the possibility to restrict it to a smaller area. But maybe there is and I’m just missing it?

Well for now the loft NURBS seems best to me, so I will do some experimenting in this direction.
If anyone has some thought that might be helpful to me, I would be glad to hear it.

Again thank you all for your kind help.

Regards, Robert

davesink
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
With an oranic shape like this, I seem to find HN the way to go. This was done in about 5 minutes starting with a 6 sided cylinder. with about 8 height segments. I added cuts to accentuate the finger bumps. The key for me is starting out with the right shape with the minimum number of polys to define the shape and proceed from there.

Robert Glotzbach
09-29-2006, 02:13 PM
With an oranic shape like this, I seem to find HN the way to go. This was done in about 5 minutes starting with a 6 sided cylinder. with about 8 height segments. I added cuts to accentuate the finger bumps. The key for me is starting out with the right shape with the minimum number of polys to define the shape and proceed from there.

Hi Davesink,

This is great, thank you so much for your example.
I can see now where I went wrong; simply started off with to little poly's.
I will give it another try with HN, will be hard to miss now with your reference picture.

Kind regards, Robert

FR33K
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
i would also have done it with a HN :) its fast and best result :)

and for the material i would use a cheen shader

FR33K
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
sorry dupe :P the site loaded 2 mins then i made new post...

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.