PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Owns Up to early Xbox 360 Defects

RobertoOrtiz
09-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Quote:
"Microsoft has confirmed to Next-Gen that failure rates for the Xbox 360 launch batch were “higher than usual,” but the company is offering free repairs and refunds to make up for it.`"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3866&Itemid=2

-R

EnlightenedPixel
09-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Makes you wonder exactly what the real % defect rate is. I remember for a wile sites were running their own vote lists to try and figure out how many of their users had defective 360's. The usual average was something like 15% if I remember correctly.

Signal2Noise
09-24-2006, 02:45 AM
I've had mine since launch and am happy to report there has been zero problems with it. Oh, wait a minute...there has been one tiny problem: NO GAMES!!! Aside from a handful there has been lacklustre releases so far. Here's looking to the upcoming holiday season. :)

RuinedMessiah
09-24-2006, 03:09 AM
I found this news yesterday and yet refused to post it. Just because I knew what would happen if it came from me... :)

Ghostscape
09-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Oh, wait a minute...there has been one tiny problem: NO GAMES!!!

I honestly haven't seen a good launch since the N64, and even that was only good because Mario64 was freakin' awesome at the time because it was 3d and we'd never seen that before.

There is certainly a marketting push with each new launch but I don't see any of the companies actuallying trying to make a game that woud do well critically to sell the system.

thoughtlesswhisper
09-24-2006, 08:33 AM
only problem i have is that fight night doesnt read very well. Have to kinda tap the box to get it working.but i got 11 games and the other 10 work fine.

Pretty slow start on the games front i guess, but iv got more than enough to keep me busy. Plus the arcade place is pretty kick ass. Big games on the way too.

bluemagicuk
09-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I honestly haven't seen a good launch since the N64, and even that was only good because Mario64 was freakin' awesome at the time because it was 3d and we'd never seen that before.

Agreed ....................

Squash-n-Stretch
09-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Quote:
"Microsoft has confirmed to Next-Gen that failure rates for the Xbox 360 launch batch were “higher than usual,” but the company is offering free repairs and refunds to make up for it.`"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3866&Itemid=2

-R

Please stop posting news of this nature. It always disintegrates into a trollfest. Let other people find this stuff out on their own (and subsequently REFRAIN from posting it in here. I'm sick of the next gen consoles already.)

pgp_protector
09-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Please stop posting news of this nature. It always disintegrates into a trollfest. Let other people find this stuff out on their own (and subsequently REFRAIN from posting it in here. I'm sick of the next gen consoles already.)

Hmmm

A Forum Leader Dose the Posting, A NON Mod/Member Tells everyone to Stop Posting this form o news.

Wonder who well listen to.

FYI The Title was clear enough that you could of Ignored it.

RuinedMessiah
09-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Not to mention no trolling has occured thus far.

thoughtlesswhisper
09-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Hmmm

A Forum Leader Dose the Posting, A NON Mod/Member Tells everyone to Stop Posting this form o news.

quoted for agreement.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Hmmm

It was the mod I was addressing...not anyone else. And there is already trolling in this topic, subtle as it is. The presence of two particular posters guarantee it.

RuinedMessiah
09-25-2006, 12:47 AM
I can only assume, given your reactionary past to me, that one of the posters mentioned was me. But as my first post stated, I didn't post this news because of how people would take a link like this from me. Also, if you take a look at some of my recent posting habits in the last few days, you'll notice I'm scaling back the "in your face" nature of some of my posting habits. I'm changing my behavior on these boards (too used to the downright confrontational nature of the Gamefaqs boards so this online environment is a drastic change for me and, as such, I haven't quite adapted yet but I'm working on it)

Things that were said in this topic.

-Link to the topic at hand
-My stating I didn't post the news because such a post, would have come from me, would have been viewed as flamebaiting. I stand by my assumption in this regard.:shrug:
-Ghostscape claimed the main reason why he didn't get one was because there seems to be a distinct lack of system sellers. He goes on to state that the last system seller was Super Mario 64. People agree.:thumbsup:
-thoughtlesswhisper says he's more than happy with his 360. Once again, fairly civil.
-And then you claim the trolling has begun.

In my opinion, this has been one of the most civil next gen topics I've seen in a while. I'm not seeing a problem but if you could shed some light as to where it is, maybe if it was my behavior, I could make changes on that as well.

Tarrbot
09-25-2006, 02:51 AM
/me sits down for some civilized tea, notices the posters here and offers everyone a spot :thumbsup:

Personally, I don't mind the posts of this nature as I tend to miss out on this stuff most of the time anymore. Call it reactionary to when it was my job to read 40 news sites daily.

RobertoOrtiz
09-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Sight...
Where is that roll eyes smiley?

-R

Gehof
09-25-2006, 05:50 AM
At least Microsoft has done a good job of supporting customers with defective units. It's always nice to have the company give you a hand rather than tell you you're screwed and either need to pay to have it fixed or buy a new one.

syzygy
09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
At least Microsoft has done a good job of supporting customers with defective units. It's always nice to have the company give you a hand rather than tell you you're screwed and either need to pay to have it fixed or buy a new one.

hehe yeh, the Ipod video comes to mind. had a mate who received his broken (in the box) and was told he must have dropped it, end of story...:sad:

Squash-n-Stretch
09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Sight...
Where is that roll eyes smiley?

-R

Umm, Right here? :rolleyes: I've taken it hostage until you promise never to post this kind of fanboy-breeding ground thread again. :)

havokzprodigy
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Maybe you should just stop reading them. Now theres a novel idea, nobody is forcing you to click.

I like to read all the info I can get on these systems.

richcz3
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
With the 360's one year lead, MS has had time to deal with manufacturing problems and has adjusyed their warrenties accordingly.

This policy change serves two key purposes.
1) It's a great PR for MS customer support

If the PS3 release is hobbled by hardware issues.
2) Saddles Sony with the burden of dealing with the potential 1st release woes on their limited PS3 systems.

Iysun
09-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Just don't click on the topic thread if you don't want to read it. Not everyone has the same interests, I for one read and enjoy these threads.

My 360 seems to be working fine still, but I agree about the lack of games. Mines been collecting dust until recently, pretty much since I bought it.

RuinedMessiah
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Mine hasn't. But I recently beat Saint's Row so it's sure to hit a dormant period again. Especially with Okami out now, Valkerie Profile 2 out soon, and FFXII at the end of the month.

Geta-Ve
09-25-2006, 08:12 PM

There is certainly a marketting push with each new launch but I don't see any of the companies actuallying trying to make a game that woud do well critically to sell the system.

I dunno, as much as I don't like XB Halo and XB1 worked really well. Everyone is always bosting the next halo killer.. Face it, if halo wasn't released we probably wouldn't see an xb360

hiphopcr
09-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Didn't the N64 only launch with like 2 games?

havokzprodigy
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM

Yep I remember playing only Mario for awhile.

heavyness
09-26-2006, 05:22 AM

OT - history of all the home system's launch titles --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_titles

i was happy with Super Mario World, Pilotwings, and F-Zero on my SNES. i liked the 360's launch; Call Of Duty 2, PGR3, Condemned, and Geometry Wars.

but the original Playstation rocked [for me] Tekken, arcade perfect port of Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, and Battle Arena Toshinden!

KayosIII
09-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Well there certainly been a lot of defective units in these parts of the woods... The local game store has had about 1 in 4 consoles returned defective. My friend purchased a 360 about a week ago - third time lucky, the first two were dead on arrival (this was all on the same day). Another friend has had huge problems with the XBox 360 power supply causing interference with his cable TV.

I don't remember defect rates being anywhere near that for previous consoles... But hey I wasn't paying that much attention.

thoughtlesswhisper
09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Well there certainly been a lot of defective units in these parts of the woods... The local game store has had about 1 in 4 consoles returned defective. My friend purchased a 360 about a week ago - third time lucky, the first two were dead on arrival (this was all on the same day). Another friend has had huge problems with the XBox 360 power supply causing interference with his cable TV.

I don't remember defect rates being anywhere near that for previous consoles... But hey I wasn't paying that much attention.

I just find this so hard to believe. Ive been around so many 360 consoles. More than most of you guys combined, unless you happen to work in an xbox factory. The power supply can be dodgy but bcause we have so many of them at work, we just swap the cables round, and i guess dont really mentally log it as a faulty console.

well anyway yea....

KayosIII
09-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Both of the DOA consoles reported error message T61 or E57 - my friend can't remember exactly if that throws more light on what went wrong.

thoughtlesswhisper
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Both of the DOA consoles reported error message T61 or E57 - my friend can't remember exactly if that throws more light on what went wrong.

error messages? thats even stranger. If they blow they blow. Again at work we have flash discs so for something like that we just flash to the latest kernal version and it resets the OS.

Its a lot more rigid system than u think. Problems like that can be solved very easily but obviously only if you have the tools.

KayosIII
09-28-2006, 01:06 AM
These problems are in all probability easy to fix given redundant equipment and the right tools. The end consumer however is typically not equipped to solve these problems. Most of the people I know like consoles precisely because you don't generally have to maintain them in the way you have to with a pc. A dead console is a dead console and it hardly breaths confidence in the consumer.

I have spoken to another friend at a different game shop. They have sold 25 consoles since launch of which 5 have been returned faulty (20%)... Reasons for failure include the above error messages, power supply failures and in case the foil packaging had stuck to the unit and was not completely removed which caused the unit to overheat (indicating perhaps a shipping issue). The same friend has an online buddy who's box just "red lighted"...

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.