PDA

View Full Version : Samurai vs Knight

Kinematics
09-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Hello guys and gals!

Im working on a short animation with 4 other students in my school. it is our final year project. They have given us a duration of 3months to work on it. Our initial goal and aim was to have a 45 second long animation that had stunning visuals and great animation for the grps demoreels.

But as fate has it....things change. The team totalling 5 people. 2 production people including me. 2 concept artists and 1 whose sorta inbetween but leaning towards concept.
But we have taught 1 concept artist how to work on the UVs and another how to do layouts.

Within these 3 months we must have this project finished.

The short animation actually had a moral and the team did the animatic and loved it. We were stressed at the same time cause we wanted to move on to production. As we speak...the characters are almost done and we will begin rigging this tuesday as well as texturing.

Unfortuantely during pitch, the school director said we lacked character establishment among other things. So we spent 3 weeks on the story while working on the character models and sounds etc. And we kept coming up with ideas to fix the story but everytime we closed a hole another opened up.

Our new aim is to just have a story that works. Its now gonna be a comedy instead, before that we wanted a short film that was funny but had a moral. thats gone now...we found it way to difficult to do that under 2 min when we had two characters to establish.

Ill be posting here frequently with updates from now on as the project progresses. I wish to hear your feedback...hopefully stuff that could help us improve our work. thanks guys

Kinematics
09-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, this is the 6th animatic we have done in 3weeks. pls check it out and tell me how i could improve it. Im so tired from doing animatics that it isnt superbly proper, but any big issues that jump right out at ya...pls do sound it out so i could try to fix it...if you have a simple solution that could shorten the animation or making something clearer; Please do tell, this is a 3month project and i wanna start production confidently and not be constantly looking back doubting the story.

its gotta be fun and enjoyable. thats most impt i guess :)

http://mediadesign.multiply.com/video/item/1?event=3&evar3=video

"A story of two warriors from completely different cultures meet and find themselves, not so different after all.

A Japanese Samurai is lost and hunting for food. He chases after a chicken and finds himself in a difficult spot. In the distance, a travelling frenchknight who is somewhat a "heroic" failure, hears a call and responds. He hears a damsel in distress and saves her but it turned out to be the Japanese Samurai. There was a big misunderstanding and the chicken the japanese samurai was after instigated them into fighting.The two fight it out to kill the other but later learn to get along."

Confusing parts in the animatic due to lack of sound and proper drawings (areas that may have confused you)
-The french knight was "resucing" a butterfly from its cacooon.

-The samurai has somewhat of a girly voice, that is why the french knight assumed it was a lady in distress

-while the french knight was running with his prize...they both didnt look at each other for abit...when was smiling in glee with his eyes closed while the other was in shock.

-the cross image was when they both looked at each other.

- The last bit when there was the marker drawings. That was the point that had a BIG misunderstanding. The samurai wanted the chicken that was hiding behind the knights leg. The knight never knew about the chicken and thought the samurai was making advances on him and the samurai was getting irritated with the chicken but taught the frenchknight was protecting it. (we couldnt solve this part in editing unless we added another 30seconds to the flick...so since this is a comedy...we decieded we shall have a narrator come in and explain the situation like they do in NFL games)

-in the end the chicken was laughing at them and they both heard and felt stupid fighting each other and decided to go for the chicken.

FlaminGlow
09-23-2006, 10:23 PM
It is a very funny animation, it also will be top when finished, i like the part chicken looking to them when they are fighting and eating some pop corn it is so funny, also when they discover that the chicken is the problem and they cooked it, ohh so so funny hahahahahahha,
sorry i have no sugestions i like the storytoo much, the animatic look a little rigid and big moves and cuts are there it is not so smooth but this isn't your final movie anyway i think this won't be in your final, looking forward to see more of your producion.:thumbsup:

Punisher-Productions
09-24-2006, 01:43 AM
I;m right there with FlaminGlow the animatic totally rocked, i really like how the whole story plays out and looking forward to seeing how the finished product looks like. The only thing i would suggest is that if the animatic is ur finally time that some scenes should be slowed down a few and if not thenhopefully u catch what im trying to say when ur actually doing the animation. BEST OF LUCK:thumbsup: !!!

Kinematics
09-24-2006, 06:34 AM
You guys really think the animatic is good!!?? wow cool!
hahaha which scenes do you think need slowing down? I would definetly want to look into that - since ive got a team of 4 working with me I would like to have the animatic knock down the timing pacing and editing as close to possible to the end product, to avoid any trouble or work that cant be used later on.

Did you guys find the introduction of the knight abrupt? The establishment of his character i mean. I was reusing storyboards while the team drew more to edit the story...so its not as flowy as we had the first one. But this one seems to have the story covered.

DId you guys ACTUALLY understand it? did you laugh a lil??? :D DO tell.
Thanks so much guys!

Kinematics
09-26-2006, 03:49 AM
More updates. Hey guys is it possible to animate eyes like these? Oval shaped instead of the round ones? Do u animate the texture instead and will there be problems related to this?

Punisher-Productions
09-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Wassup bro, hmmm. the rooster is awsome and u would defiently animate the texture. I have never heard of animating ovals and i wouldnt recommend it. As for animating such an eye with textures, i dont think there should be any problems, just make sure u get the blend shapes for the eye lid perfect for expressions. O and as for the timing, i would have to set down and look it over again and righ tnow i havent had a chance too busy with my own post ROBOTICS....lol but hopefully tomorrow...:thumbsup:

Winner
09-26-2006, 04:28 AM
hey. nice chicken character.

You're best to model the eyes and sockets as spheres first, then shape them into an oval or whatever using a lattice deformer ( in Maya ) or a FFD ( i think thats what theyre called in max ). That way when you rotate the eye, it will deform inside of its infuences and be perfectly animatable, without losing its overall uneven shape.

keep at the short - it looks fun !

dudethedreamer
09-27-2006, 09:15 AM
wow that 2d aniamtion itself is very impressive, somtihng id like to one day do

Kinematics
09-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Update!!

- currently working on props...kelvin is finishing it up soon. thank god alls going well. only issue is our environment....i still have yet to make a convincing yet goodlooking yet non laggy forest.
anyway the chickens 80 percent rigged....the knights about 50 percent....the samurai has been modeled but i still think he can be better but ive modelled it 4-5 times and it still doesnt go well. The concept is really hard to convert to 3d. god knows why.

anyway heres some still renders of our knight
http://mediadesign.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/4/1?xurl=%2Fphotos%2Fphoto%2F4%2F1

I think the team is about 5 days behind schedule so im pretty worried. the FOREST is a HUGE issue...any ideas people?

gcapot8462
09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Dude I really like your concept it is looking really good. :) The knight looks perfect for the story. About the forest hmm try making the foreground 3D you know some trees bushes rocks ect. And then have the background 2D and make it really good or make all 3D and render the animation and the forest separate. I think that will be the best way around it. Keep up the good work man. And yea I was LOL when I saw the animatic really good Keep in touch :thumbsup:

Kinematics
10-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey guys heres a new animatic. we've redrawn it abit. Please do take a look and give us some constructive critique. We really could use some help with the story. And we need to be done with previz by the following tuesday so we can begin animation.

so heres the link
Samurai Vs Knight Timing Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOtsBgPkws)

Any information esp stuff that we could change or improve esp without lengthening the clip or tweaking alot would be fantastic but just shoot anything that comes to mind anyway.

tell us if it makes u laugh. would u mind spending 2 mins of ur life watching this? and do u understand the whole thing well?

thanks so much guys!

gardnerwatts
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
what you have so far looks really cool.

The story looks funny and I loved the renders of the knight. His design is great.

What is you due date? When can we expect this to be online?

Punisher-Productions
10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Looks great guys, the fine tuning on the animatic is great and the timing is just right, I know that must of the experssions arent final in the animatic but its looking good. The story is understandable and the characters fit perfect. Wish you the best and keep up the good work :thumbsup:!!!

FlaminGlow
10-01-2006, 10:28 PM
I like your chicken it fits perfectly to the theme.:thumbsup:

Kinematics
10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
OMG rigging armor is KILLING USSssss. arrrghhhh. geeez i dont know if ill be tweak the knight alot....the armor is proving problematic... anyway im further tweaking the timing for the animatic reel.

Thanks alot flaminglow and punisher for the constant encouragement... the team really appreciates it.

Hey gardnerwatts....thanks for the comments...ehh deadlines the 17th of November. week 12 of our project. I have to say im scared...we really have very little time...its already week5 and we only have 1 and a half rigs...constant problems here and there and we have 2mins worth of animation. after compositing and eiditing, previz layout...my god....we gotta hustle...We are gonna do our best. the deadline is very impt for us. We wish to hit it. :D

Kinematics
10-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Samurai Occlusion Render - WIP (http://mediadesign.multiply.com/photos/photo/4/4)

Guys we are having a hard time modeling something fat and cute. does this bugger scare yuo? you think he'll look good after texturing. Im really into realistic stuff and so is my friend kelvin so for us we are kinda looking at the concept art winging it. what are ur views. lets here it :D thanks so much

Punisher-Productions
10-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Hey wassup crew, well first i want to say that your link might not be working, or it might be the fact that im not gonna sign up for the site just to see the image, sorry guys too many websites got my name for no reasons, dont need anymore. Now, some words of encouragemnt for your scary times with the rigging and stuff. First of all I think you guys have a total of 3 months or so and the deadline is by Nov. 14th. Now i think theres maybe 2 or 3 of you guys working on this project and with three characters and a full scene, it may be alot but come on fellows I;m in the same boat as you. right now I got my thread for Robotics going and I have until mind Nov. (which is about the same time yours is done) to finish my DIS Project. Whats the difference. Your a team and I'm solo with a few hands giving me advance but all modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, and soon compositing and who knows what else is gonna be done by me, PLUS I have to finalize a demo reel for my BFA Show thats on Dec. 7th, three weeks after my project is down to fix problems, package and delivery my work as of date. And on the side I have to set up my BFA Show with my class, as well I'm in a history class and compositing class. Small plate with alot to juggle on it down the thin line. Now I;m not saying my load is way worse then yours but I'm just letting you know that your not the only one trying to figuare how the hell to rig sometihng you never done before. So take it easy, take a cartoon break and grab some food and cool the motherboards and then jump back in to it. Dont forget the motivation and the Glory you get from accomplishing your work. So toughen up ladies and get back to work :thumbsup: !!!

P.S. If you explain a bit about the rigging issue I might be able to help since I'm rigging similar things that deal with armour and metal type things and best of look, Looking up to you guys all the way to the end:buttrock: !!!

sachin3d
10-03-2006, 07:53 AM
cool story man. i really liked the animatics. i eagrly waiting for the finished product. good luck.

Kinematics
10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey guys. heres a small pic of whats going on. one of the scenes revolves around the tree. and i need help on that.

basically if youve seen the animatic you would see that the branch snaps. i need helping preping it up for that. i took the branch i needed.seperated it and filled the hole of both sides. the area where it breaks off from and the hole of the branch that falls off.

how do i have them seem connected till i break it off? because i am applying a smooth on the tree at level 2 contiunuity 0.8

I cant remove the line no matter what i do. help? how can i do this so that i can smooth geometry yet keep the hard egdes inside. such as for scenes where the guys chopping the tree down or the branch breaking off. thanks guys for the help :D

Punisher-Productions
10-18-2006, 02:12 PM
hey guys been a while since we heard from you thought you guys went MIA on us. Well, lets see theres a free ways of doing this break of tree without any known separating of geometry. One if you dont want that hard ling around the break what you can try (which is 50 50) is to select the edges where it breaks, not the ones inside because i think you guys want those hard edges and with the outer branch edges you go to Poly > Normals > Soften/Harden Normals. It depends what version of maya you using. In Maya * they have a whole section just for Normals so just find the tab under the Poly section and look for Soften Normals with the older version I think you have to find a small option called Normals under edit mesh (dont remember) and you select soften and harden and when go to the options just select all soft and you good. Now the reason I say 50 50 is that sometimes this works perfect and flawlessly, the only way to make sure is to render it out and see if you geometry looses shape or gives you werid texture problems. Its a Normal thing so be carefulll too much can be over kill.

Now the second option is basically using compositing where you have the tree in a few frames together without the break and then another tree with the break and everything
and then you just fade them in your compositing program and fake it, no one would know if you do it right :thumbsup: !!!

Kinematics
10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey punisher thanks for the info....it didnt really work...for the cutting of the tree bit...ive posted on the maya section but no help so far...ill link it here later for u to take a look...ive requested help and asked more indepthly. As for the comping for the branch...that option seems good.

Next up...sorry guys been really inactive...struggling to survive...problem after problem..u know what i mean. staying in school prevents me from uploading squat.

But ive got this link for u guys...its the previsualization!! yayyyyy :p actually big deal but do check it out :P

http://rapidshare.com/files/1181155/previz_001_lowres.mov

dont know how good rapidshare is so i posted it on youtube aswell. gonna live in school for the next 5 days again :) woooootttt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feYxclnmga0

We are currently 20 percent done with animation. 4weeks left :( so yeah... its hell but i hope we make it. ciao guys!

Punisher-Productions
10-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I;m liking the preVis guys looks great....keep it up!!!

Kinematics
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
okay i could stand the tree...i thought what i did was pretty bad so despite the lack of time i decided to spend 10 hrs modeling and layout the uvs for this one instead....cant believe i toook so long to do this...man i hate working on trees :)

http://www.media-design.us/187/tree.jpg

and well this is all i have on my harddrive...its an animation test that ive been working on for one of the scenes of the chicken pullling out popcorn from behind a bush....he didnt really grab it cause the bush covers that and his body makes it hard so thats why itll be hidden.

http://www.media-design.us/187/scn031_master.avi

well we have less then 4weeks left
20percent animation done and im working on the forest while the team animates. The two priorities. pretty okay animation and the animations final overall look has to look complete. we feel that is most important...oh and we have to make the deadline. :D cheers

Kinematics
11-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey for the tree...im gonna be using zbrush displacement. do u guys know how hard itll be? How would shadows render when it hits a displaced surface??? if i were to use a background shader on the tree to have just a shadow pass.... will the computer know that theres a shadow and render out the shadow with the correct contours that flow along with the displaced geo???

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.