PDA

View Full Version : Lego Star Wars II Sells 1.1 Million

RobertoOrtiz
09-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Quote:
"After only one week on store shelves worldwide, LEGO Star Wars (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/LEGO_Star_Wars_II_The_Original_Trilogy_A_Huge_Hit_100292.asp#) II: The Original Trilogy has already established itself as one of 2006's strongest forces in video games (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/LEGO_Star_Wars_II_The_Original_Trilogy_A_Huge_Hit_100292.asp#). Since its release by LucasArts (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/LEGO_Star_Wars_II_The_Original_Trilogy_A_Huge_Hit_100292.asp#) and TT Games on September 12, the biggest family game of the year has sold more than 1.1 million copies spanning eight platforms (PlayStation(r)2 computer entertainment system, PSP(r) (PlayStation(r)Portable) system, Xbox 360(tm) and Xbox(r) video game systems from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube(tm), Windows, Nintendo DS(tm) and Nintendo Game Boy(r) Advance).

"There's definitely something for everyone in LEGO Star Wars (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/LEGO_Star_Wars_II_The_Original_Trilogy_A_Huge_Hit_100292.asp#) II, and the sales and reviews so far are proving it," said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. "This is the type of fun, accessible game everyone in the family can enjoy. It appeals to so much more than just the
traditional gaming audience."
"
>>LINK<< (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/LEGO_Star_Wars_II_The_Original_Trilogy_A_Huge_Hit_100292.asp)
-R

MrPositive
09-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Lucas just bought LA.........seriously though, I'm glad Lucas Arts is finally knocking out some fun, engrossing Star Wars games. It only took them 20 years.......begin flaming.......now.

sacslacker
09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
See... make good games, sell a buttload.

Mattoo
09-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Sadly I don't think this is a sign of a renaissance at Lucas Arts. They didn't make it, they only published it.

"It only took them 20 years.......begin flaming.......now." That's a bit harsh isn't it. Grimm Fandango was barely 10 years ago.

MrPositive
09-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Oh contrar mufrar, notice how I said Star Wars games in my post... :)

Mattoo
09-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Well ok... but not! They've published some pretty decent Star Wars fodder over recent years. Kept me happy anyways... Knights of the Old Republic springs to mind.

MrPositive
09-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Knights of the Old Republic is brand new....bong! hehehe Anything in the past five years is off limits and that includes Kotor 1 and 2, Battlefront, and Lego Wars.

JDex
09-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Well, SWG turned out an ass-biscuit in recent years. But I do think that had little to do w/ LA.

I still can't believe this game is selling though... guess I've been over the Lego thing a decade or two too long.

skello
09-23-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm not an avid gamer but it caught my attention really quick when i saw someone play the demo at best buy. I almost bought a console just to play that....
nostalgic characters, great gameplay and cool graphics .

salmonmoose
09-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Lucas just bought LA.........seriously though, I'm glad Lucas Arts is finally knocking out some fun, engrossing Star Wars games. It only took them 20 years.......begin flaming.......now.

Ok, I'll bite;

Face it, they've been making better Star Wars games, than movies over the past 20 years :) XWing, Tie Fighter, and XWing vs Tie Fighter are concidered amongst the best Space Flight Sims ever made, the Dark Forces series (Now Jedi Knight) were also great games.

That being said, I'm one of those 1.1 million, the game is awesome, and has a great sense of humour something that is lacking in games (although, noteably LucasArts has a history of some of the funniest games). What's interesting is there was never a Scumm Star Wars title - something that would have been brilliant, I can't think of anything they did with Scumm that was bad.

I bought Dead Rising, Chrome Hounds, and Star Wars 2 on the same day, I've barely touched the others, but I've played through Starwars, and am now busy unlocking all the treats :)

Jadetiger
09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Face it, they've been making better Star Wars games, than movies over the past 20 years :) XWing, Tie Fighter, and XWing vs Tie Fighter are concidered amongst the best Space Flight Sims ever made, the Dark Forces series (Now Jedi Knight) were also great games.

Wow, I played all of those growing up. My nerdy past is coming back to haunt me. :blush:

... i found secret graphics in Xwing too :P

LucentDreams
09-25-2006, 02:15 AM
The game is pretty brilliant as said, the sense of humor is great, sorta laughs at starwars and lego in a smart way, simple things like how instead of R2 running off from lukes house and 3PO chasing after him, they instead are kidnapped back by the the jawa's in the middle of the night in a nice funny scene, or when luke hapens to accidently cut off 3P0's head when he gets the light saber, and thats jsut the starting level Lots of good humor throughout pretty good game play thought the coop has some issues and camera navigation is a pain especiaslly in two player coop. nothing sucks more that getting squashed by an AT simply because it was pulled in range by the camera, or flaling off a ledge because your teammate went too far forward. Otherwise Its one of the funnest games I've played in a while, though dead rising is a nice change of pace and funny too.

JB
09-25-2006, 04:42 AM
I love Star Wars:Rogue Squadron II for gamecube. I still play it once in a while :shrug:

JDex
09-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Okay... I'm sold, I'm gonna go pick this title up next week, if my poor little laptop can play it. :cry:

vintagetone
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I thought my kids were a bit old for it (10 and 13), but they, and their friends have been hunched around the game station having a great time with it.

hellgatemedia
09-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Being that it was a Star Wars game , and being released on the same day as a re release of the original trilogy, as a retail manager I can't help but think that there was a major under estimation of this game. I sold out within 3 hours of being open, everyone was sold out that night, and I had to deal with some angry moms. We got our replenishments in a week later, but I can't help but think why didn't they prepare for this like they did with Madden. I knew this game was going to be a hit, and I can't be the only person who thought this. I happen to like this game a lot, and I'm an admitted big kid, it is FUN, we need more FUN games.

Artbot
09-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Ok, I'll bite;

Face it, they've been making better Star Wars games, than movies over the past 20 years :) XWing, Tie Fighter, and XWing vs Tie Fighter are concidered amongst the best Space Flight Sims ever made, ...

FWIW, all of those games (and you failed to include X-Wing Alliance) were also done by an outside developer: Larry Holland's company, Totally Games, where I worked for 6 fun-filled years (no, really! Fun-filled!).

salmonmoose
09-26-2006, 04:04 AM
I thought my kids were a bit old for it (10 and 13), but they, and their friends have been hunched around the game station having a great time with it.

Yeah rub it in, I'm 28 and loved it :(

Neil
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
but I can't help but think why didn't they prepare for this like they did with Madden. I knew this game was going to be a hit, and I can't be the only person who thought this.

This happens with a lot of titles. Madden is one of the very few titles guaranteed to sell high year after year. They can prepare for it and publish it with that expectation. Why would a game with lego character be a guaranteed high seller? There are plenty of games that I thought were great and would be a hit, but that doesn't mean they sold overwhelmingly well.

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.