PDA

View Full Version : Materials in arrays

Celarien
09-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Is it possible to create an array containing materials, but without them being just references (or instances) of the main material?

I have an array of say 5 elements, and each of these elements is a copy of a base material with one it's texturemaps properties altered, to differ slightly one from the other.

Is that possible? I've tried, but what I got was the base material's texturemap property was changed, changing all the other ones also, as if they were instances or references...

I hope that explantion is clear, thanks in advance.

HalfVector
09-22-2006, 11:01 PM
That's happening because you are referencing the material and not copying. To append the copy of a material to an array just do something like this:

append matsArray (copy mEditMaterials[1])

Hope that helps.

Celarien
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Great... Worked just fine...
Thanks a lot... =)

And now... Well, I need to know which texturemaps the material has... If I do mEditMaterials[1].maps[1] (or any other number) it gives me "undefined", thus I'm using the alias (.bumpMap), for example... Is there any way I can find the name without using the alias? (Example, identify via the .maps[] which is which and apply the modification I need to the correct property, without using alias)

HalfVector
09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
You can get the map using its index. Just as you've said, using the maps array.

An for the maps names, this function returns the name for each map ID:

fn getMapIDName matID = (
case matID of (
1: return "Ambient Color"
2: return "Diffuse Color"
3: return "Specular Color"
4: return "Specular Level"
5: return "Glossiness"
6: return "Self-Illumination"
7: return "Opacity"
8: return "Filter Color"
9: return "Bump"
10: return "Reflection"
11: return "Refraction"
12: return "Displacement"
default: return "Unknown"
)
)

Celarien
09-25-2006, 09:28 PM
But that's for standard material... If, for example, I create a VRay... It'll tell me I'm treating "bump" while it's some other texturemap... Right?

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2006, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.