PDA

View Full Version : MiSSS_Fast_Simple and Displacement map together? How?

orko60
09-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey all. I'm having trouble with my head rendering. I can render it with the MISSS_Fast_Simple shader I've set up, and I can render it with displament map by itself, but I don't know how to get the two together. I read on here that I should plug the displacement map into the shading group, under displacement, but that makes it just render the displacement map. Any ideas? I would really appreciate the help!

-Zack

se7enthcin
09-24-2006, 11:25 PM
graph the shading group of your misss_fast shader into the hypergraph. Select the SG and bring up your attribute editor.

There are two areas that may confuse people. There is a displacement Mat under "shading group attributes" and a displacement shader under "mental ray, custom shaders"

If you take a regular displacement node and middle mousebutton click drag onto the shading group you will see that by default it will connect to the displacement mat under the "shading group attributes." This is the correct connection. From there you plug your displacement map file into the displacement node. You should get a solid displacement as well as a nice SSS turnout.

Are you letting maya determine your displacement or mental ray?

orko60
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty much a moron. I was plugging it into the "Custom Shaders" part. Thanks a lot, man...you saved me!

BTW, I really dig the look of your web site. The little animations are like Gerald Scarfe, or Ralph Steadman (I think that's his name; did the drawings in Fear and Loathing). Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.