PDA

View Full Version : w.i.p archtecture - old meets new

plaste
09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
hi there,

At the moment i'm working on a small project for architects planning
to add a new building to the remains of a church in berlin. actually
only the tower of is still standing.
The picture shows where the the new building meets the church.
Still working on the modell and i didn't render with spd, cause i
was in a bit on a hurry. Did a little postwork in photoshop. i know
the dof effect is way to strong. i'll fix it later.

looking forward to read your comments and feel free to criticize
everything you dislike. even though this is my first post in this
forum there's no need to be gentle.

°plaste

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/5883/modelltex170906aq6.th.jpg (http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=modelltex170906aq6.jpg)

LemonNado
09-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Render looks nice. A bit brighter and you're all set. I'd be happy as client then.

(Rant On) But I'd kick the Architect for that boxy extension. Looks like the typical Krankenhaus, Amts, Schul-Erweiterung 8-). I can smell the 'Fussbodenwachs'.... At least they could add one or the other feature to maintain continuity... I don't need an architect to select components from a window/door vendor just to fit square walls around it. (Rant Off)

;-}

Lemo

STRAT
09-23-2006, 07:45 AM
great wippage m8. i'm sure with further tweeking it'll be even greaterer. but i'd certainly loose all dof in there.

Ernest Burden
09-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Try it with a straightened camera. C4D has a fantastic ability to pan a camera while keeping a two-point perspective. Try it.

Also--what is the point of the picture? What are you showing? This view is full of visual clues to 'exit', the elevators, window, archway, doorframe, room that you can't see all of. The whole thing says "I'm leaving now". You should look for a view that is more stable and/or has a feature object, something that would make you stay for a moment. Unless you are trying to feature this as a transition space to pass through. If so, make one of the 'destination' objects dominant.

plaste
09-23-2006, 03:20 PM
first of all, thanks for your answers.

@LemonNado:
It's actually not on me to question the design of the building, but
i agree with you, it neglects the potential of the interaction between
old and new. same applies to the materials, where the architect wants
to paint over most of the heavily aged brick walls which i think is part
of the quality of the building.

@Ernest Burden:
you're totally right with what you're saying and it is what i think
the greatest weakness of the design, that the most interresting part gets this
transit feeling, whereas it should be the place to be.
could you please explain to me what you mean with the straightened camera,
i don't think i know about it.

@Strat:
yeah, i'll take out te dof, maybe just use a little in the foreground.

thanks anyone, i'll keep you updated in the next days,
plaste

Ernest Burden
09-23-2006, 06:14 PM
could you please explain to me what you mean with the straightened camera,i don't think i know about it.

A two-point perspective, no vertical convergence. You simply match the camera height with the target height, or the rotation angle in the appropriate axis being exactly zero. Your framing will change, and then you adjust the camera offsets.

What this does is keep vertical edges vertical. It's the 'classic' layout for architectural renderings, and has the CG benefit of helping with AA by not having a picture full of slightly angled edges.

Some people think this approach is out-dated and silly. Try it and decide for yourself.

STRAT
09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
@Strat:
yeah, i'll take out te dof, maybe just use a little in the foreground.

i'd personally take it all out. not needed for internal arch viz. a bit externally every now and then, but this scene certaily wont benefit from any internally

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.