PDA

View Full Version : ESA: The Mars face gets a high resolution closeup

RobertoOrtiz
09-22-2006, 01:44 PM
QUote:
"A perspective view showing the so-called 'Face on Mars' located in the Cydonia region. The image shows a remnant massif thought to have formed via landslides and an early form of debris apron formation. The massif is characterized by a western wall that has moved downslope as a coherent mass. The massif became famous as the 'Face on Mars' in a photo taken on 25 July 1976 by the American Viking 1 Orbiter.
Image recorded during orbits 3253 and 1216 by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on board ESA's Mars Express. Image is based on data gathered over the Cydonia region, with a ground resolution of approximately 13.7 metres per pixel. Cydonia lies at approximately 40.75 North and 350.54 East. "

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEM09F8LURE_1.html

-R

L.Rawlins
09-22-2006, 02:19 PM
If you squint a bit it kind of looks like Megatron... Dum-Dum-Duuuuuuuuuum! :D

I jest. Fascinating stuff.

ndat
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL it's funny how much time we put into looking at a dirt mound because the shadows hit it just right and made it look like a face. The original picture is pretty cool though, freaked me out when I was little.

I would imagine even if there was artifacts like that left on mars they would have erroded away years ago. But who knows maybe this was a sculpture that has been erroded and now only looks like what it was supposed to when t he light hits it just right.

*Dun Dun Dun!* *Cues Twilight Zone music*

Thnaks for the link Roberto, Those high res pictures are going into my texture referance library :D, they are so perfect.

brucegregory
09-22-2006, 10:56 PM
After looking intensely at the last of these high resolution images, I don't think it looks any less like a face than it did. Eroded, yes, as would be expected. It also really begins to look more like a lion face than a human face, (which was one of the speculative conclusions, initially - theoretically tying it to the Egyptian Sphinx). The large profile image looks like it was taken at the least favorable angle, as far as making the "mound" recognizable to those having seen the original 3D mock ups. Also, take a look at the color image showing the whole region, in the large view. There is one particular artifact that is enormous and looks somewhat like the numeral 5. It is that straight section on the top of the 5 that looks anything but natural.

Rather than quenching all of the former enthusiam generated by the first set of photos, I think there is plenty of material in these hi-res ones to foster a whole new set of "discoveries". And who says it's beneath NASA to use Photoshop, like we do every day, whether it be to debunk or to enliven a cause?

Greg Smith

locke2121
09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
While I don't think the Face is really a giant sculpture, I can sympothize with those that do. Its our nature to look forward, explore and always try to got past the extreme.

And I for one wouldn't put it past any branch of the government to Photoshop away evidence of aliens!

Szos
09-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Holy crap! In the upper left corner of the new picture, there is a spitting image of the Virgin Mary holding Baby Jebus.

:D
(like was posted above, people spend WAY too much time and effort into trying to link completely foreign things to something that they can relate to.)

Buzzoff
09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Wasn't this news like 5-10 years ago? I didn't know they were still studying something that was proven a trick of the light.

TheLostVertex
09-25-2006, 01:01 AM
This is not CG News, and hence should not be posted here. This is not an astromomy web site, nor is it ment to be a general/technology aggregate site. Just because there are computer renderings in the article does not make it CG News. By that logic any article that has a image edited by a computer in it, or even a computer image format could be considered "CG News". I am sure many people may find this interesting, but if they like storys similar to this they can visit Slashdot or Digg, which seems to be where many of your post come from.

We do not need threads here that are not CG related, and copied from other aggregate sites.

-Steven

ndat
09-25-2006, 03:21 AM
We do not need threads here that are not CG related, and copied from other aggregate sites.
Eh, those pictures do make really good textures.

You do realize that he is a mod too right? That means we have to be nice or else! He is mean as hell too he will ban you at the drop of a hat, lol. Trust me this is my 7th account, he banned the other 6...

Rye
09-25-2006, 03:23 AM
too bad they don't have a higher rez tetxture for the 3d model. still very cool. love anything about space! even on cgtalk :)

TheLostVertex
09-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Eh, those pictures do make really good textures.

You do realize that he is a mod too right? That means we have to be nice or else! He is mean as hell too he will ban you at the drop of a hat, lol. Trust me this is my 7th account, he banned the other 6...

Yes, I am sure that they can be useful for texturing, however many things are around the internet that can be used as textures, but that doesnt mean it is an excuss to post a non-CG news story in the CG News section.

For the second part of your post, I have not been rude or disrespectful, only honest. Just because I have not tried to sugar coat my reply does not make it rude.

-Steven

Zerflag
09-25-2006, 04:38 AM
I think for completely off topic threads maybe a forum should be made called "Useless Crap" or some such. Perhaps take a hint from those humorous brits at 3d-palace and have a Beer Lounge for discussing anything under the sun. But I'm not quite sure how "Face on Mars" is appropriate for the Main Forum. Afterall, this is the main forum of a computer graphics site, not a space exploration site.

<edit> Wow, here I misread, I thought this was in the General forum (so my previous comment stands for when I thought it was in the General forum). Now that I know it's in the CG News forum, it's all good, because clearly this is cg news.... I have another cg news story: Japan decides to invest in magnetic trains in spite of crash. (the cg tie in you're wondering? well, surely they use 3d vis and simulations when building the trains)

Icarus
09-25-2006, 04:42 AM
I think for completely off topic threads maybe a forum should be made called "Useless Crap" or some such.

*looks at general discussion forum*

Cyborgguineapig
09-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Still looks like a face but one side of the mountain had erotion and landslides. And upon seeing the high rez closeup of the eroded side, there was indeed landslides in that area...the I'm still convinced.

paintbox
09-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Yes, I am sure that they can be useful for texturing, however many things are around the internet that can be used as textures, but that doesnt mean it is an excuss to post a non-CG news story in the CG News section.

For the second part of your post, I have not been rude or disrespectful, only honest. Just because I have not tried to sugar coat my reply does not make it rude.

-Steven

I understand your view, and agree partly.

My view is that besides being professional CG artists, we are also human, with other, diverse interests. It should be possible, even if this is 'CG'Talk, to have an outlet for these interests. I find the policy change a very good thing,as the General Discussion forum was getting out of hand with the OT. However, we should not be confined to CG-automatons either, as many good idea's can come from outside our field, on the inspiration front. Because remember - CG is only a means to an end - and that is the creation of images and art.

This brings me too an idea that just snapped into my mind, maybe an 'inspiration' forum would be a good thing, allowing these kinds of posts. In such a way people can choose to be exposed or not to 'non-cg' or 'bordering-on' CG-threads.

My 2c...

JamesMK
09-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I swear I once saw the face of Elvis burnt into the surface of a slice of toast.

Szos
09-25-2006, 11:26 AM
This is not CG News, and hence should not be posted here. This is not an astromomy web site, nor is it ment to be a general/technology aggregate site. Just because there are computer renderings in the article does not make it CG News. By that logic any article that has a image edited by a computer in it, or even a computer image format could be considered "CG News". I am sure many people may find this interesting, but if they like storys similar to this they can visit Slashdot or Digg, which seems to be where many of your post come from.

-Steven

Maybe you should chill just a tad cuz it wasn't like anyone forced you to click on this thread, nor was the thread title purposefully vague in making you think it was 3D related... I think it was quite clear in the title that this would not be a 3D related news story.

Besides, I think the News section of this site would be awfully slow if strictly 3D news was posted.

Icarus
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Maybe you should chill just a tad cuz it wasn't like anyone forced you to click on this thread, nor was the thread title purposefully vague in making you think it was 3D related... I think it was quite clear in the title that this would not be a 3D related news story.

Besides, I think the News section of this site would be awfully slow if strictly 3D news was posted.

not trying to sound cheap, but you havent been here for that long, or either you dont really look. the news section would have to be more active then some of the application forums due to the mass posting of Threads ranging from Robots, Games, Rumors and right through to OT stuff like this. there more then enough to shake a stick at.

going by my logic here, cg news should be CG-NEWS not stuff like this. there is General discussion for a reason, Does X fit into "CG NEWS" yes? or no? if it doesnt where should i go? there is logic and reason behind the forum .. think about it. and if its way too OT for for the General Forum then dont post it on the site. the internet is big, old and ugly enough to have a niche market / audience for whatever topic is at hand.

personally i think the Cg News forum has more then enough content in it to keep the population at bay. but we dont need to start cluttering it up with OT threads which should be in the General Discussion forums in the first place.

ParamountCell
09-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I understand your view, and agree partly.

My view is that besides being professional CG artists, we are also human, with other, diverse interests. It should be possible, even if this is 'CG'Talk, to have an outlet for these interests. I find the policy change a very good thing,as the General Discussion forum was getting out of hand with the OT. However, we should not be confined to CG-automatons either, as many good idea's can come from outside our field, on the inspiration front. Because remember - CG is only a means to an end - and that is the creation of images and art.

This brings me too an idea that just snapped into my mind, maybe an 'inspiration' forum would be a good thing, allowing these kinds of posts. In such a way people can choose to be exposed or not to 'non-cg' or 'bordering-on' CG-threads.

My 2c...

A board for inspiration is an excellent idea! I started a topic about inspiration a while back, and it was so helpful to me http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=393812&highlight=inspiration
although this topic facinates me I also have to say that im a bit surprised that it has been posted in the news section, I have seen people run out of this section for less lol.

ndat
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM

-Steven

I never said you were being rude or disrespectful.

Plus the second part of my post is a joke; apparently it isn't very funny lol.

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2006, 06:04 AM
The images presented on the article were visualized in 3d based on real world data.
Since this falls into the real of 3d visualization for science purposes this makes them ON TOPIC.

Since we currently don't have flying airships on Mars, the visualization was done In 3d using DEM (digital elevation maps).
The thread is here posted as an example of the work being done.

Any issues with this lets take it off line and please send me a PM.
I will not discuss this issue again on this thread.
-R
PS BTW I am posting all my OT threads in my CGsociety blog. You can check it out by clicking on the "FOR REAL" in my signature.

Syndicate
09-26-2006, 10:41 AM
JamesMK (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=27885)

This guy once sold a piece of burnt toast that looked like jesus on ebay.

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 10:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.